Topic: Horror Sequels Better Than The Original

What are some Horror movie sequels you prefer to the originals and in your opinion were superior to the first movies in their series? Some of my personal choices:

Phantasm II
Friday The 13th Parts 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7
A Nightmare On Elm Street 3 and New Nightmare
Aliens
Predator 2
Saw II
Evil Dead II and Army Of Darkness
Puppet Master 2, 3 and 4
Hatchet II
Maniac Cop 2 and 3
The Devil's Rejects

Some of my choices are probably controversial, which isn't to say I dislike the originals, I just like the sequels more. Predator 2 I liked better than the first with the use of the city setting and I liked Nightmares 3 and New Nightmare more because I felt they were more creative with the general ANOES concept.

Re: Horror Sequels Better Than The Original

Can't think of any... GAAAH!

This would be hard to say something is better given originals are usually the best.  However the one that comes to my mind is Dawn of the Dead is just lightyears better than Night of.  Night is still one of my favorites, just Dawn has some charm to it. 

Other than that, i feel like I'm drawing a blank right now.  I just love originals!

^^ Oh yeah the two Dawn sequels were better than their predecessors.

Slumber Party Massacre 3 is a surprisingly good film and a lot better than any film by that name has any right to be! Plus, it's not a musical like the second entry! lol

I do like Paranormal Activity 2 better than 1, and I love Wrong Turn 1 so much, but the second one has a cooler setting to it.

Anaconda: The Hunt For The Blood Orchid is slightly better than the first even thou ot uses too much CGI.

Amityville II: The Possession (1982)
Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest (1995)
Boogeyman 2 (2007)
Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (2000)
Crocodile 2: Death Swamp (2002)
White Noise: The Light (2007)
Wrong Turn 2: Dead End (2007)

Im sure this topic has been done before

Vasquez wrote:

Im sure this topic has been done before

Those are usually best Horror sequels threads though, they sometimes don't specifically cover ones people find to be better.

The Friday The 13th sequels are better than the original (for me anyway).

I honestly can't say I agree with any of the choices so far, nor can I think of any examples.

Friday the 13th parts 3, 4, 5 and 6.  I've never been a big fan of the first Friday flick (with the exception of Savini's FX) or even the series overall, but I think these four middle films are the best the series has to offer.  It's not saying much, but still...

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 and 3 -- I don't think they're BETTER than the original, but I do think they're equally as good in their own ways, which in itself is rare.

Hostel 2 -- not a great flick but still much, much better than the annoyingly pandering first one.  I liked the female characters better here more than the obnoxious and homophobic twits in the first film, and I enjoyed the glimpses of the bidding process in action.  I also liked the reversals of the two male characters, and I enjoyed how the main girl finnagles her way to freedom.  It's still a mean-spirited and nasty film, but from a story and character standpoint it's FAR better than the first Hostel, IMO.

Dawn of the Dead '78; like Garden, I love Night of the Living Dead and still think it's one of the greatest and most important horror flicks of all time, but I also think Dawn out-did it in every way.

Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 -- As much as I dig the first Hellraiser, I think part 2 exceeds it.  It looks and feels grander in scope, the FX are more frequent and better executed and the story is more interesting and involving for me.  It looks and feels like a waking nightmare.  I don't like the Cenobite Doctor at all (one too many corny one-liners for my taste) but overall I just think it's a better film, both technically and imaginatively.

Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness: like I said with the Elm Street flicks, I don't think ED2 and AOD are BETTER than the first Evil Dead, I just think they're equally as good in their own regards.

Can't really think of any others right now but if any come to me, I'll be back.

BASSI wrote:

Amityville II: The Possession (1982)
Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest (1995)
Boogeyman 2 (2007)
Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (2000)
Crocodile 2: Death Swamp (2002)
White Noise: The Light (2007)
Wrong Turn 2: Dead End (2007)

Amityville II: The Possession (1982) NO
Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest (1995) KINDA
Boogeyman 2 (2007) NO
Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (2000) ABSOLUTELY NO
Crocodile 2: Death Swamp (2002) NO
White Noise: The Light (2007) YES
Wrong Turn 2: Dead End (2007) I HATE WRONG TURN

Devils Rejects
Dawn of the Dead
Bride of Frankenstein

Thats about it..

I thought Child's Play 2 was a big step up.

The only film tha hasn't been metioned that I'll throw in is Psycho II. Not better than the original by any means, but it's still really well done. I had to give it a mention.

And I'll concurr with my fellow horror-buffs on these:
Dawn of the Dead ('78) - As much as I adore NOTLD, Dawn just offers me more in thought - and it's a lot longer in length - it makes me feel as if I'm on some sort of movie-trip.

The Devil's Rejects - Just a whole other dimension above House of 1,000 Corpses.

Army of Darkness - as much as I love the first two ED's - the third entry wins my vote. I grew up with this one playing all the time in the house, too. So it somewhat has that nostalgic attraction to it.

Friday the 13th Part 4: The Final Chapter - the original may have been a landmark, but this is the better film, IMO.

Aliens & The Terminator 2 also need a mention. T2 is better than the first, Aliens at least matches the original.

Thumbs up from me on The Devi's Rejects as well.  Didn't care a great deal for House of 1,000 Corpses but TDR was so superior in so many ways it's hard to believe it was made by the same guy.

LoudLon wrote:

Thumbs up from me on The Devi's Rejects as well.  Didn't care a great deal for House of 1,000 Corpses but TDR was so superior in so many ways it's hard to believe it was made by the same guy.

The Lords of Salem is goin' to be recognized as his next masterpiece, dude. big_smile
Can't friggin' wait to see it in theaters....DG, I'm jealous.

Good call on Devil's Rejects. I have to agree. House of 1000 Corpses was good, but Devil's Rejects was just better in every wya.

The Creature wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

The Lords of Salem is goin' to be recognized as his next masterpiece, dude. big_smile
Can't friggin' wait to see it in theaters....DG, I'm jealous.

I'm very much looking forward to Lords of Salem as well.  The trailer looks fantastic, and DG's already seen the movie and given it a thumbs up.  I'm more excited for this flick than I have been for any other horror flick in quite some time.

Good call on Hellraiser 2, I think it's better as well.

Tripod wrote:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/Animated/whatthewhat.gif

hmmm...

I venture to say Rec 2.

LoudLon wrote:
Tripod wrote:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/Animated/whatthewhat.gif

Hey it was better than Seed of Chucky! At least it didn't have him jerking off in a cup! big_smile