Re: Horror Sequels Better Than The Original

Yeah, I'll give you that one... lol

LoudLon wrote:
The Creature wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

Thumbs up from me on The Devi's Rejects as well.  Didn't care a great deal for House of 1,000 Corpses but TDR was so superior in so many ways it's hard to believe it was made by the same guy.

The Lords of Salem is goin' to be recognized as his next masterpiece, dude. big_smile
Can't friggin' wait to see it in theaters....DG, I'm jealous.

I'm very much looking forward to Lords of Salem as well.  The trailer looks fantastic, and DG's already seen the movie and given it a thumbs up.  I'm more excited for this flick than I have been for any other horror flick in quite some time.

I think you guys will like it...but I just like to keep saying it's not like any of his previous films.  It's more of a slow burn this time around smile

I enjoyed HO1KC but TDR was far better. It felt like Zombie really improved there.

Here's another I remembered I'm sure is a controversial choice: Leatherface: TCM3. I don't dislike the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre but I felt TCM3 was more entertaining and did a good job of being a more traditional slasher movie while still having some pretty disturbing and grisly moments in-line with the TCM formula.

Hellraiser 2 was bettter than 1.

fmvgamer wrote:

Hellraiser 2 was bettter than 1.

I love the original SOOOO much but I think the second is an all around better movie

If it counts as Horror, Gremlins 2 is another I prefer to the first. The original is a classic but I thought the second was more fun.

Wishmaster 2, The Fly II, Amityville II: The Possession, Creepshow 2, Joy Ride 2, Sleepaway Camp II, Wrong Turn 2

I sometimes find myself liking The Fly II a little better as well, mainly because I'm a fan of the MartinFly design.

Another sequel I find better than the first is Jeepers Creepers II, although I'm not a fan of either I thought the sequel was a little more entertaining.

Jigsaw wrote:

I sometimes find myself liking The Fly II a little better as well, mainly because I'm a fan of the MartinFly design.

They heavily criticized the film because of "bad acting, plotless story" and concentration on SFX...That's just nasty, and they liked The Evil Dead, Suspiria which were more gory, surreal and plotless. I loved this film (through not over The Evil Dead and Suspiria)

I guess because Suspiria and The Evil Dead are made with more class to them and aren't just gorefests, although I always enjoy a good gorefest.

Pretty sure Troll 2 was better than Troll.  It certainly comes to mind first and it's got to be one of the all-time So-bad-it's-Good movies.

Jigsaw wrote:

What are some Horror movie sequels you prefer to the originals and in your opinion were superior to the first movies in their series? Some of my personal choices:

Phantasm II
Friday The 13th Parts 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7
A Nightmare On Elm Street 3 and New Nightmare
Aliens
Predator 2
Saw II
Evil Dead II and Army Of Darkness
Puppet Master 2, 3 and 4
Hatchet II
Maniac Cop 2 and 3
The Devil's Rejects

Some of my choices are probably controversial, which isn't to say I dislike the originals, I just like the sequels more. Predator 2 I liked better than the first with the use of the city setting and I liked Nightmares 3 and New Nightmare more because I felt they were more creative with the general ANOES concept.

There's no way that Predator 2 is better than 1.
I wouldn't say aliens is better than Alien. Aliens has a very different vibe and feel to the original alien.The original alien tension and suspense is unmatched which is why it was smart of cameron to go another route and make it more action orientated.

HA!...didn't even notice that Predator 2 was on that list...C'mon that cast of commandos is legendary..

fmvgamer wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

What are some Horror movie sequels you prefer to the originals and in your opinion were superior to the first movies in their series? Some of my personal choices:

Phantasm II
Friday The 13th Parts 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7
A Nightmare On Elm Street 3 and New Nightmare
Aliens
Predator 2
Saw II
Evil Dead II and Army Of Darkness
Puppet Master 2, 3 and 4
Hatchet II
Maniac Cop 2 and 3
The Devil's Rejects

Some of my choices are probably controversial, which isn't to say I dislike the originals, I just like the sequels more. Predator 2 I liked better than the first with the use of the city setting and I liked Nightmares 3 and New Nightmare more because I felt they were more creative with the general ANOES concept.

I wouldn't say aliens is better than Alien. Aliens has a very different vibe and feel to the original alien.The original alien tension and suspense is unmatched which is why it was smart of cameron to go another route and make it more action orientated.

I agree with Jigsaw I think Aliens is a better film, if only by a whisker.

Blade 2 was better than Blade (if either can be thought to be a horror movie).

I liked Mirrors 2 better than Mirrors, for whatever that's worth.

fmvgamer wrote:

I love the original Predator but I've always been partial to the second one more, as I really liked the city setting and the all-around darker vibe of the movie. I also liked the Predator in it more than the one in the original and thought the new arsenal of weapons like the spear and disc were great, and the movie had great action scenes in it.

ChromeSkull: Laid To Rest 2 is another I remembered. I like both of them but I remember finding the second one a little better.

According to Dave Kehr, the old blonde lesbian film critic, Aliens is much better than Alien, which the guy dislike.

It's intensely debated whether Alien or Aliens is better, and the general consensus I've seen is both are excellent in their own way and compliment each other well despite both being different from one another.

I don't count Aliens as horror, so the argument is null and void for me.  The way I see it:

Alien: horror
Aliens: pure sci-fi

Oh and speaking of Predator, I think Predators (2010) is a better sequel. Like much people say, it isn't a reboot it's intended as a sequel. I like how it expands on the Predators-mythos by introducing more alien life and background. Adrien Brody is the last person I'd expect to be in this movie, but he pulled off his character really well.

LoudLon wrote:

I don't count Aliens as horror, so the argument is null and void for me.  The way I see it:

Alien: horror
Aliens: pure sci-fi

I consider both to be Horror, with Aliens having more of an emphasis on Action, but there's still enough Horror in it for it to count, IMO.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to class Aliens, or any of the Predator movies, as horror.