Re: Hurricane Sandy

Here's an interesting thing- SyFy is replaying the Hurricane Sandy benefit concert at 11PM tonight.  It runs live on NBC at 8PM.  NBC owns SyFy?  Still cool, though.

Watched the telethon.  Really good.  Steve Tyler and Jimmy Fallow singing lead on Under The Boardwalk, with Springsteen, Billy Joel doing backup vocals!  Plus a lot of great acoustic acts.

A lot of interviews with people that got hit by Sandy, and a lot of visuals of the destruction.  Hard to watch since I could point out several different places I've been, both in NJ and NYC.  I wonder how my old apartment held up- it was only a block off the beach on the 3rd floor.  Really is different when you see your old stomping grounds destroyed, as opposed to some place you've never been to.

Found a video of my old town.  (I lived in Ocean Grove, Avon and Neptune borders the Grove).

And here's what's left of the Grove's boardwalk.
http://oceangrove.org/files/bn_parking.jpg

Nice video of the Grove and nearby towns' destruction.

Sandy smacking the Grove Monday night.  At about 5:00 you can see what the fishing pier used to look like.

And here you can see wha't left of the pier.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-11-03 07:34:20)

Feel so sad for everybody touched by this killer. My thoughts are with everybody that suffered from it. Man, a week after and there's still 1 million people without electricity and cold is coming. Best of luck to you all.

Azathoth, it's impressively bad those picts and videos. Freaking nature and the wild things it causes. Ah well, not much we can do other than support each other, That's why it was really cool the telethon.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2012-11-05 13:07:03)

I remember reading somewhere (only scan through the article though, so stay with me here) about a woman was leaving some city with her two kids, trying to go somewhere to reach her mother's house because it was on higher ground away safe from the hurricane/floods. Then day(s) later was found with her two kids beside her dead because they were washed away in a flood or something. It's really horrible, but I want to say (I hope it's not disrespectful because I don't intend it to be) - Weren't people in America warned about all this way in advance? Why did she leave so late for? It borders on stupidity if we're honest, you know it's headed your way and you leave it until the last minute to try leave? That's just silly in my opinion.

Like I said, it's horrible what happened and I have full sympathy for the mother but I just don't understand why she might of left so late for when she knew in advance of what could happen.

Though like I stated above, I only scanned through the article so I don't know all the facts so maybe someone can correct me on this, but from what I read it's horrible to see what happened.

Yeah, a lot of times people stay there cause they don't wanna loose what they worked for all their lives I think. Kinda weird but at the same time I can understand a bit why. I understand but don't necessarily agree...

I'd rather lose my home and what I worked for rather than my life (or families lives). You get my point.

Yeah indeed. I'd do that too but some people think differently it looks like. I get your point totally.

Scav- what happened was she was trying to drive away, hit a low-lying street with flood water and tried to drive through it.  Car stalled, so she grabbed her 2 kids and tried to wade out, but lost hold of them, and off they went.  The other disturbing part?  She banged on a couple of homes trying to get help after, and all the people told her to "go away."  When the cops finally got there the next morning, another neighbor heard the woman screaming at the houses "I NEEDED YOUR HELP!"  (or something like that).  Some people are assholes- Cthulhu will deal with them at the appointed time.

Some people always stay during storms, with the "it won't be too bad" attitude.  Some were blowing off Sandy since Irene from last year wasn't as bad as predicted.  Some people make bad choices, and now have to deal with those consequences.  Unfortunately, the children had no choice in the matter.  I'm sure God (or your preferred entity) is looking over them now.  And there's no one to blame, just nature doing its thing.  Ultimate sorrow.

*kXnPunk nods.
Great words Azathoth.

Yeah I remember hearing about the knocking on peoples door thing too, just slipped my mind. Each to their own though, I can understand why people wouldn't leave or left it late. It's horrible news either way.