Re: When your movie expectations are crushed

Man I love all the different opinions here.
Some are Black, others Red but each one has got an easy to understand why it's that color reason. Very, very cool. smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-01-14 00:45:22)

It's what makes the place what it is smile

Which I'm not going over the edge when I say that it's kick ass. smile

UltraViolence wrote:

It's what makes the place what it is smile

exactly.

LoudLon wrote:

If I'm a heathen, it's for worse reasons than not liking Martyrs -- which reasons exactly, however, I shall refrain from listing. lol

PS, Wolfie -- I didn't like Dog Soldiers, either.

it's uncanny how many times we agree Lonnie. me and you against the world, Man! smile

Recent films that have left me like this are Cabin in the Woods, V/H/S, Kill List & Sinister. It happens to me a lot with films that are built up a boatload, and even though I rarely read reviews of films before I watch them you still get infected with the hype.

Cabin wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't the greatest horror film of the last however many years, and it did have plot holes. I'm gonna re-watch it soon anyway so we'll see what I think 2nd time around.

V/H/S was supposed to be great and I found it distinctly average.

Kill List I just didn't get, I'm not ashamed to say. I was just sat here scratching my head, totally didn't get it at all. And that gets touted about as a blood near on masterpiece by some people.

And Sinister was the biggest let down of all for me; I'd heard so many people wax lyrical about how scary it was and I sat here on the verge of boredom. So so disappointed by it, I probably wouldn't have been if there hadn't been so much hype, so I think that the hype is more what makes these films a disappointment than the actual films themselves.

HorrorQueen17 wrote:

V/H/S was supposed to be great and I found it distinctly average.

I agree with you 100% - it was suppose to be some 'masterpiece' hitting the horror scene and what it gave us was...two out of five good stories that actually had a good twist about them, and another story that was decent but I could see the twist coming miles away (The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily When She Was Younger).

I thought it was a real letdown, just didn't do much at all.

Yeah thw two were pretty decent but I don't think they were enough to carry the rest of the film. And The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily When She Was Younger started off well but I agree the twist was ridiculously obvious, and I didn't like how confusing and convoluted the ending was.

I was definitely expecting more from it

Well I'm crushed. In pieces. Could somebody glue me back up???

Just one thing to say. And I'm pissed doing so. In fact I can't even say it myself so I'l quote Wiki:

Although a theatrical release, Playback was shown in only a single cinema. Playback was declared the lowest grossing film of the 2012 year by Movieline.[5], grossing just $264 from its one-theater release, $252 on its opening night and $12 more during its first week, after which it was pulled. These figures reflect approximately 33 tickets sold.

How in the fucking H3LL did Slater get involved in this is beyond me.
I like the dude A LOT. Can't believe he disapointed me that much.
AND SHIT THE LOVELY normally ALESSANDRA TORESSANI which is a true bomb, yeah she was insanely HOT and droolable but she's the only reason I give 2/10 to that. She saves it from the crap swamp spot in my lists.
It still get 1 point more than THE CRAPPIEST OF THEM ALL for me , The Exorcist. So there, stay far away from it.

Dear Queen, I loved Sinister and especially Cabin In The Woods which is part of my best of the decade but I'm sure Exorcist you like so. lol

And stop torturing me with V/H/S would you all??? Still haven't seen it. sad

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-01-17 20:24:48)

Punk, nope, wrong there! Not an Exorcist fan at all, me & Ghosty have had this discussion a bit lol it does not do it for me.

You should see V/H/S but don't expect too much. Sinister could have been really good, I think that's what really bugged me about it. If it had had a clearer vision, it could have been pretty decent

I didn't know you weren't a fan of The Exorcist.

I may have to ask for that giallo list back.

Erm, backpedal. backpedal...I'll give it another watch!

No, to be fair it's not that I'm not a fan exactly, I just don't think the feel of the thing transfers too well to modern-day audiences. Loads of films can still be terrifying no matter how old they are, but that one just doesn't hold any scares for me. My Mum & Grandma still class it the scariest film they've ever seen, but they won't re-watch it so they've only ever seen it once when it first came out. I can get it would have been scary then, but I just don't think it is now

Oh glad I'm not the only insanely mad one in here Queen.

Wasn't then will never be scary, not for me, no, no, nooo.
H3LL, even Dumb & Dumber is scarier. lol

Now Dumb & Dumber I love. lol

kXnPunk wrote:

Oh glad I'm not the only insanely mad one in here Queen.

Yeah...there's two of you, guess that's much better?  smile  I was really beginning to like you KX till you dropped that on me.  When HQ writes about PA or Exorcist my computer is set up to block it.  smile  Just kidding though of course...its all good and to each their own. 

I've been racking my brain to try to find something that fits for me with the OP's intent.  These Threads tend to turn into what people think suck, or what are great, and who agrees with who and so on, but the intent is a movie with such high expectations that ended up being so disappointing it was crushing.

I just don't have anything, especially in the horror realm that is coming to mind.  Plenty of things sucked, and some that I was hoping would be good, really sucked and pissed me off, but nothing that I was so excited about that it was crushing.

Its a good thing that I hadn't seen all the hype for VHS.  All I saw were some posts where people liked it on the FF Thread.  So, that wasn't too hyped for me and I liked it quite a bit.

I'd say the closest I can come would be The Woman.  I actually liked it, but did not find it shocking and was severely disappointed.  Especially after seeing that video where people were freaking out about it in the theater, and some walked out.  Then an article where a seasoned horror writer described shaking and being affected to his core from that movie.  Wow.  After I saw it I could not imagine what the excitement and controversy was about.  Think that writer needs to see a few more movies...or maybe better he doesn't.

That's what I got.  KX, you're still all right in my book.  smile

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2013-01-19 00:09:13)

Ooooops!  smile

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2013-01-18 01:08:11)

Yeah, that's why I never take that oh why the H3LL didn't you like it. I just read, ingest stuff from all over and then when I've seen it, I barf what I thought about it all over the place. lol

But I can't go the what an assh•le you are because you didn't or liked it. I like to watch the opinions go one against another like in a ping-pong game. It's fun to watch. SOmetimes I even bet on who'll win. Mwahaha

But no really the way I go around when I see a new trailer is surfing from a place to another after watching it, then come back and rewatch it. So my opinion is totally fatally staying like this forever. And when I finally see the movie, it pretty much is the same way as I established it before. My heart is very emotional, Hugely even so all I grab during the watch of a clip/movie is overly intense. Probably why I've loved so much from the very good start I had with the genre. Evil Dead. big_smile

But I'm so hard to disapoint it's mad so today I almost had a heart attack, damn, I cried, not because of the emotions in the movie but to see talented people like Christian and Alessandra into that H3LL. Pity them, poor them... Snif... sad

Hopefully it won't happen anytime soon amd sure won't with V/H/S the bar could only go higher than it really is now, not downer.

That's my got that. Must be the same book, you're in it too. lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-01-18 01:47:07)

DNA- Island of Doctor monroe, back in the 90ies.

I was 12 or. 14 yrs. old, and my Wish was it, to see this Movie.

Many Years later, i saw it on TV, and was thinking myself:

I didn't like Exorcist either...

*hides where no one will ever find me*

*Gtabs his night vision googles*
I can stll see you. lol
Welcome to the club. wink

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-01-19 10:58:55)