Topic: Horror Films Of Actors/ Actresses Not Usually Known For Horror 7/10

here we are with number 7 in the series and it is

7. RAY  MILLAND. Highly respected actor and oscar winner in 1945 for "The Lost Weekend" and also appeared as Bulldog drummond in a series of films in the 1930's was also in Beau Geste, Dial M For Murder, Love Story and many other dramas and comedies. also especially towards the end of his career did alot of films in the horror/ sci fic genres and was better than most of the veterens in their later films. Here we go in chronological order.

1.The Uninvited ( 1944) This was the first film to actually feature an old dark house with a proper " Supernatural" explanation and not end up a hoax perpetrated by a killer or gang etc.  Milland plays Roderick Fitzgerald who with his sister buys a house to find it is haunted and not just by one ghost. The film is a little dated now but was spooky in it's day and is still watchable and i know it scared me when i first saw it as a little boy on t.vin the sixties. the scene with the piano is particularly well done and the smell of a woman's scent going around the house. well worth seeing.

2.The Premature Burial ( 1962) This was part of Roger Corman's Edgar Allen Poe series of films but one where Vincent Price was unavailable so Ray Milland was chosen. He plays Guy Carrell a man who has a fear of being buried alive because an illness that causes people to go into a deep coma and being mistaken for dead  runs in his family. His Wife is having an affair and plans to take advantage of her husbands fears. Milland is very serious and solemn in this film and is good in the role.

3.THE MAN WITH X RAY EYES (1963) In  my opinion this is one of the best films Roger Corman ever directed and this is one of the few films i would love to see remade as it is a low budget film but very effective. Ray Milland is excellent as Dr James Xavier a man who invents a serum that when dropped into the eyes enables him to have x ray vision but also slowly sends him mad and his new found power becomes a curse as it becomes ever more powerful.  A very good film and it has a great memorable ending.

4.FROGS ( 1972) an early entry in the " Nature Fights back" genre popular in the 1970's, not the best one, in fact it is a bit silly. ray Milland is extra cynical and grumpy as Jason Crockett, a millionaire who purchases a mansion in the florida swamplands and aims to destry theswamplands for buildings which brings out the wrath of the swamp creatures headed by the frogs who seem to have a telepathic power. there are also snakes, lizards, aligators and even a turtle but it's the little green jumping creatures that cause the main threat.

5.THE HOUSE IN NIGHTMARE PARK ( 1973) This one might be new to overseas HMCA members and was a vehicle for a English Popular comedian called Frankie Howard ( of whom Ray Milland apparently was a big fan of) . the film is set in 1907 and Frankie Howard plays a music hall act who is summoned to a English country mansion where it seems a wealthy relative has died and he goes for the reading of the will where he finds a strange bunch of relatives/ friends gathered and there fore lies the tale as they will resort to all sorts of dirty tricks to get their hands on the fortune, even murder.This is a competent dark old house horror comedy with some surreal and spooky moments. Ray Milland plays Stewart Henderson a devious member of the family who sees the entertainer as his main threat to the fortune. The film has a bizarre sequence involving people dressed as puppets at the climax, there is also a python on the loose and a spooky scary old mad woman.also has a twist at the end. seek it out if you can find it as it's good fun.

There we go as usual feel free to make your comments and i'll see you again very soon with number eight  in the series.

Re: Horror Films Of Actors/ Actresses Not Usually Known For Horror 7/10

Loved Ray Milland in most of those flicks, but especially in X - The Man with X-Ray Eyes, an unheralded and under-appreciated classic, IMO.

LoudLon wrote:

Loved Ray Milland in most of those flicks, but especially in X - The Man with X-Ray Eyes, an unheralded and under-appreciated classic, IMO.

i know you like this film Lon as we have discussed it before. as i said i would love to see it remade. there have been various rumours but nothing has materilised. i think it would be a great role for George Clooney.

Supposedly -- and I'm sure you've heard this before, but what the hell -- there was a scene in the script that wasn't included in the final film.  Allegedly the scene came at the very end, after Milland pulls his eyes out, and shouts "I can still see!!!"

Now THAT would have pushed this flick into genuine greatness, but the makers felt it was too horrific to include.  Shame.

I love Premature Burial, another Corman classic. Even just the premise gives me the creeps. I have The Uninvited on my PVR forever, and I just haven't watched it yet.

LoudLon wrote:

Supposedly -- and I'm sure you've heard this before, but what the hell -- there was a scene in the script that wasn't included in the final film.  Allegedly the scene came at the very end, after Milland pulls his eyes out, and shouts " I can still see"!!! now THAT would have pushed this flick into genuine greatness, but the makers felt it was too horrific to include. Shame

yes i know about it and i swear when i saw it on t v it had that ending but it is not on my dvd copy of the film. did i dream it ? i don't know , what ever it's still a good film.

The only one I've seen in this list is Frogs. And I gotta say that it's freaking insanely crazy.

Only seen the 2009 Uninvited. Should watch the original.

So there, a few more in my watchlist.

Thanks wolfman.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-03-09 19:52:06)

kXnPunk wrote:

The only one I've seen in this list is Frogs. And I gotta say that it's freaking insanely crazy.

Only seen the 2009 Uninvited. Should watch the original.

So there, a few more in my watchlist.

Thanks wolfman.

the 2009 Uninvited is not a remake of the 1944 film. they just have the same title, and it is in fact a remake of " A Tale Of Two Sisters".

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2013-03-09 20:03:46)

^^^
Yeah that's what I've just seen watching the '44 trailer.
But thanks for the 2 Sisters thing. All clear as water now. big_smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-03-09 20:11:13)

A Tale of Two Sister is a worthwhile watch too.

BAM!
94 TTs to Thelli fro no discernable reason!

It's like Christmas!