Topic: Night of the Hunted

Or, how a cheapo eurotrash two pack from Amazon changed my mind about horror. After siting through Salvation/Redemption Films' bodacious bombshell, lezdom, softcore sleaze and Satanic Reichsploitation introduction (and thinking to myself, Holy night, is this the actual movie? I really DID waste my money), I was overjoyed to discover two fright classics from misunderstood genius Jean Rollin, Night of the Hunted and Living Dead Girl. The third flick in the pack, The Reincarnation of Isabel (directed by Renato Polselli), while chockablock with candy colored camp cinematography, didn't really float my boat.

But yeah, those Rollin numbers. I had no idea horror could be so dark and gentle and romantic at the same time, and shapeshift from softcore gore to hard in such seamless, fluid transitions. These movies are big time downers, and I got the feeling like, I don't know if I'm supposed to fall in love or feel like shit about it. My beloved genre was being elevated to the level of high art by a director who had been dismissed in his prime by an unenlightened mainstream. The masses were decidedly unappreciative of doomed lesbian romances that somehow survive the supposed finality of the grave, and massive government coverups that allow two starstruck lovers to hold hands in limbo forever. Even decades later the world is not ready for that kind of delicate depression.

On an ecological note, each film's so called monster is a result of environmental pollution, but since each "monster" is a misunderstood antihero who discovers true love after their toxic contamination, Rollin's message was kind of confusing until I realized that the tragic outcomes of the stories should be enough to deter such romantic and environmentally unsound notions in the mind of the viewer. I strongly recommend both Night of the Hunted and Living Dead Girl.

Last edited by PostGhost (2013-04-01 19:48:50)

Re: Night of the Hunted

Nice review I haven't seen either film, but you definitely got me interested in checking out both. I haven't seen any Jean Rollin's flicks, but it looks like he has quite the catalog of horror/exploitation flicks under his belt. i've heard him compared to Jess Franco too, who is rather hit or miss, but can be brilliant.

Yeah, that zombie collection three pack was an impulse buy - I wasn't expecting such high quality films, pleasantly surprised.

Night of the Hunted is a personal favourite. Only Rollin could take a bunch of adult performers and make such a sincere, profoundly emotional film while working on a very tight schedule. This film has a heart

I recently started watching Rollins films and I agree, Night of the Hunted is a damn good movie; haunting and beautiful. You should check out Grapes of Death next, its another Rollin classic.

Last edited by Suspiria_89 (2013-12-08 13:02:24)

Yeah, Grapes of Death is amazing. Rollin had a slightly bigger budget with that one and he certainly delivered some cool small-scale action.

Grapes of Death is probably one of his more accessible works, with a nicely structured plot and some elaborate effects work.

Grapes of Death, Night of the Hunted and The Iron Rose are my favs.

I watched Grapes of Death recently, and Night of the Hunted in october. Both were fantastic, but I think I liked Night of the Hunted a little more. There's something so unsettling about that film, and I can't quite put my finger on it. It can be so sterile and unfeeling, while at the same time so moving.

Grapes of Death was great too, but it felt a little more traditional, and less surreal compared to Night of the Hunted. Still an awesome early zombie/infected flick.

Theli wrote:

I watched Grapes of Death recently, and Night of the Hunted in october. Both were fantastic, but I think I liked Night of the Hunted a little more. There's something so unsettling about that film, and I can't quite put my finger on it. It can be so sterile and unfeeling, while at the same time so moving.

I'm with you on this one. Night of the Hunted really got to me. The whole sterile setting and the minimalism stick with you. There's definitely something eerie yet tender about the film.
Night of the Hunted is a one-of-a-kind work. It's unique even in Rollin's canon. I still remember the first time I watched it, that finale really got to me. The film holds up really well on repeat viewings, too.

Yeah I have never seen another movie quite like it.

Ahhh man now you've gotten me in my true deep fabulous likings. Seen a bunch of them and I absolutely am a HUGE fan of this guy's stuff.

His atmospheres are just wonderfully creepy.

Grapes Of Death man, Grapes Of Freaking DEATH!!!

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-12-21 22:20:16)

Grapes of Death ... I love the opening with the two girls on the train, it's perfect. Lots of cool films start on a train - Romero's Martin, Mario Bava's Hatchet for the Honeymoon, as well as the somewhat less cool The Bloodstained Shadow by Antonio Bido

^^^
H3LL yes, a great start indeed.