Topic: The Conjuring (2013) - rated R because it's "too scary"

www.imdb.com/title/tt1457767/

I've only just heard about this one, but it's being directed by the guy behind Insidious, which I thought was decent.

What caught my attention in a few articles was the mention that it received an R rating not because of gore, nudity or naughty words... but because it was deemed too scary.

That's caught my attention, can anyone think of any other examples of a rating like this happening?

There's a new trailer out but I'm giving it a miss. Trailers these days give far too much away for my liking.

Re: The Conjuring (2013) - rated R because it's "too scary"

I'm like you, I'm not going to bother with the trailer(s) because they tend to show you too much, but I do have faith in James Wan. He has done some good movies, so I do think it could be possibly good too. So yeah, I have my eyes on this one.

Agreed, should be worth a trip to the cinema!

No other examples come to mind, but this is one of the upcoming movies that I am really looking forward to for precisely that reason.  The hype around it has been that it is supposed to be really scary.  But I always try to take it with a grain of salt when something is hyped as such.  Yam Laranas' The Road was hyped as being one of the scariest movies ever, and while it was a good flick, I didn't find it to be all that scary.

I don't recall a movie having an R rating for being too scary.
That's a new one.
I did cave and watch the trailer.
Seems interesting.
Says it's based on a true story.
Not sure how true that is.

All the new trailers coming these days are pretty damn cool.
That's looks like a way nice one.

I just hope it's not as cliche ridden and full of jump scares as the trailer makes it seem. Until a better trailer comes along I'm tempted to just wait for home release.

On a kind of unrelated yet relevant topic...

This is totally a sincere question I am curious about:

Some of you wrote you avoid trailers cuz it gives too much away.  I get what you mean.  However, I rarely watch a movie unless I see the trailer cuz it gives me an idea if I want to watch it.  Sometimes I'll stop it early if I make up my mind either way though.

For those that skip it, how do you decide if you wanna see it?  Reviews, names associated with it, word of mouth, something else?

I just saw the newest trailer for this movie, and it looks really good.  I love Lily Taylor, so I'm willing to give it a shot because of her.

I'm also curious because I know about the Warren's and their cases. I think it'll be interesting to see how the movie depicts them.

Last edited by Haunted_October (2013-04-04 17:36:23)

I'm really looking forward to this movie, I trust James Wan to deliver.

Ghostseeker, I'm the same. I GOT to see the trailers. The more there is, the happier I am. I don't even care if they show a lot. It's still just a small part of the whole thing.

And the ;latest one from this is just kick ass. smile

@Ghostseeker

Me being one of the people saying I'm not watching a trailer for it because it gives too much away, well my reasoning behind that is I've read up about the plot and it sounds interesting, and I know the directors (previous) work and have faith in him and what he can do. It's really down to that.

But this is honestly not a regular occurrence, I will mostly watch trailers to films but just sometimes I read up about a film and know the director and knowing myself that sometimes a movie can be spoiled because of a trailer (The Amazing Spider-man being an example), so it just comes down to if I trust the director and have enough interest in the plot.

Ghostseeker, I'll elaborate more on that. For movies that I know I'll be watching I won't need to see a trailer: be it a sequel, movie from a filmmaker/actor I like or something that caught my attention a long time ago e.g. Lords of Salem - I haven't seen it yet, nor have I seen the trailer.

But yeah, sometimes a trailer is my first exposure to something so I will watch it. But like you, I stop early into it when I've made my mind up on it, or when it's getting spoiler heavy. It annoyed me in the past when trailers showed pretty much all the major plot points (and the coolest scenes, they gotta market it somehow). So for about a year now I've held off as much as possible.

If I had stumbled onto a trailer for The Conjuring before I heard anything about it I would have watched some of it. But I got all the info I need now before seeing it. Do I sound stupid? Absolutely.

But speaking against all that, I watched the trailer for World War Z because something seemed "off" about it - development hell, plot details that were being revealed etc.. And it looked absolutely shit, so I know now to avoid it.

I honestly feel like I heard this before for another film, but I cannot for the life of me think of what it was! It was a in the last 10 years I am sure of it. Now it's going to bug me.
I don't really buy it, because what is scary is subjective, but I am not skipping this one because I skipped out on Insidious and regretted not seeing it sooner because it gave me genuine chills and I think James Wan should be commended for trying new stories and mostly pulling them off. Plus if it truly is scary that's great!

I was thinking the same... I'm nearly sure I've heard of another movie having this marketing.

If there is anyone I have faith in at this time for horror movies, it's James Wan. He seems like such a laid back and cool guy too from his interviews, I would love to meet him.

James Wan is certainly awesome and will be a great in a few years.  I think that Ti West has the capability to be in that small group, too.

I thought maybe "The Exorcist" might have been rated R for terror (although that's somewhat of a different era), but no, it only gets it for "disturbing images" (and language).

ANyone watch this yet?

^^^
Next week I will. So looking forward to it.

I've been reading some reviews on this over the last couple days and I've yet to see one which says its good.  Of course I like to judge things for myself, but based on those reviews, I'm not in a hurry to get to this one.

I want to see this so bad.  Each commercial I see for it makes me want to see it more and more!

I wasn't in a hurry to see this one, but intended to, then I heard all of the great reviews, soI went to see it sooner, and I was underwhelmed. And I think for the most part it was the trailers. You pretty well see every single "scare moment" in the trailers. Make like Scav and try to avoid them if you can!
I can't say for sure if that was the reason I was disappointed, I'd have to make a second viewing of it, often the second viewing brings me a new perspective, but it just wasn't creepy. There were a couple of chilly moments, but they were also in the trailers and here were few. The way it's filmed is amazing though, it has a very old school feel and the characters and the acting is great!
Insidious did much better with the creepy imagery and ratcheting up the tension IMO, but this one gave it a good go too, it's just too much of the same though, all done well, but still the same as we have always seen.
To me, I feel the paranormal activity crowd are the ones who got the most enjoyment out of this, not only them of course, but I'd say majority of that crowd. It's pretty well the same type of scares.

Spoilers (highlight below)
being pulled by hair, figures underneath sheets, pulled by leg, witches and possession

But I can see why so many liked it, I was just very underwhelmed by it.
Insidious 2 on the other hand looks great. I won't watch anymore trailers to that one if they come out though.

i just saw it....i was impressed....james waan is really reigniting my love for hollywood horror...even though i'll always be a late 70's to early 90s horror fan...there are too many remakes these days....halloween, freddy, amityville, etc.....finally someone is doing something original(of course though, there is nothing original under the sun)...i loved Insidious(havent seen a good monster in a while)...cant wait for the sequel....but yeah, the conjuring was purrty good....it wasnt the creepiest, but i was entertained and wasnt bored one minute....satan worship, demons, witches, baby sacrifice, possession, paranormal activity....and a true story behind it....i loved it....afterwards, i got in my car and blasted some death metal....it set my mood....

I loved it. Felt like something straight out of the 70's. Now I'm just sitting back and waiting for Insidious 2.