Topic: Roger Ebert, Film Critic, Passes Away at Age 70

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/05/movie … .html?_r=0

I'm literally shocked.  I just read his blog yesterday, where in his latest entry he discussed lightening his review workload while also branching out into other areas.  This really does sadden me; I got into reviewing movies because of Ebert.  Several years back we even had an engaging conversation via emails wherein we discussed our mutual love of the great Orson Welles b-movie Touch of Evil. 

I know not many horror fans appreciated his views; he was never hesitant to denounce what he felt was a bad genre film.  But what they don't realize is that he was first in line to heap praise on the ones he thought were truly exceptional.  He even wrote one of the more notorious sex-and-violence flicks, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, and was a dedicated fan of Russ Meyer as well. 

I visit his website frequently and am always looking up his reviews of older films.  It makes me sad to know we won't get to see his views on some of the ones I've been most looking forward to, such as Evil Dead 2013 and Lords of Salem.  And from a writing perspective, I've always hoped that one day one of my scripts would be produced, and that it Ebert would review it.

RIP, Roger.  I don't know about everyone else, but I'm going to miss you.

Re: Roger Ebert, Film Critic, Passes Away at Age 70

I was really saddened to read this as well. I always enjoyed his reviews and he will be sorely missed. He was also very brave and open about his cancer and what he was going through. RIP Roger.

PS... I never thought of Touch of Evil as a B-movie. It had some top notch stars of the time, fantastic noir lighting, and the coolest opening shot that still boggles the mind considering when it was made!

That's what he and I talked most about; I told him I thought it was a b-movie done up with a real budget and stars.  He asked me to explain; I said because the subject matter was the stuff of exploitation films.  Crooked cop, border crime, dopers, gang bangers terrorizing Janet Leigh, Charlton Heston in "brown face" playing a Mexican, etc.  And he replied back, "I never thought of it that way...I see what you mean, it's definitely in the realm of a b-movie!" 

Roger Ebert copped to me being right!  My ego went WOOOOSH. lol

But that was one of the many cool things about him.  He might have come off occasionally as a film snob -- in fact, my holding of the genre to a higher standard than most, I got directly from him, I ain't gonna lie -- but he was never too busy to rap about flicks with fans.

I have always found his reviews fun to read, especially his most venomously negative ones. We may not share the same views on what makes certain movies great, but I will always respect him. He's honestly the only critic who's opinion I legitimately found interesting. RIP Mr. Ebert.

I was really sad to hear he passed away today.  And even sadder when I read his last blog post with all the plans he had for taking "a leave of presence". 

I remember watching Siskel and Ebert when I was a kid.  I loved how they would argue over the films every week.  I almost always disagreed with Siskel. 

I read somewhere today that the very first review Ebert ever published was Night of the Living Dead.  If I remember right he didn't like it very much.  However he did enjoy both the original Halloween and Dawn of the Dead.

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2013-04-04 21:52:58)

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

Man, that kicked me in the face like an anvil.

That is very sad news. I loved the dude. H3LL every film fan did.
His stuff was fun. Even when negative it was. Damn I'll miss this guy. Thanks for all you did in your life my man, and keep up the awesome work in your newly found dimension. RIP Ebert boy.

LoudLon that is very cool. My ego would have gone up too. big_smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-04-04 22:13:29)

Mary -- oh, no, he didn't dislike NOTLD.  His first review of the film back in the day wasn't even really a review of the film, it was his take on the crowd's reaction to it.  He saw it with an audience full of youths who were apparently expecting just another low-budget, second-bill b-movie.  What they got instead was a shocking, jarring, terrifying horror film.  He even comments in his review that at one point he looked aside and saw a young girl crying in her seat.

But many years later he appended his review with this (I took the liberty of looking it up to copy here:

This reaction to a screening of "Night of the Living Dead" is not, properly speaking, a review -- or rather, it is a review of the audience reaction. I admire the movie itself, which I have seen twice since that 1967 afternoon, and its sequel "Dawn of the Dead" got an enthusiastic review from me. I didn't assign a star rating to "The Night of the Living Dead" because the kind of article I wrote did not seem to require one, but if I were to rate it today, I'd give it 3 1/2 stars.

^^^
3 and a half is pretty damn good especially from him.

Thanks for that man, very interesting read.
I bow to your wonderful knowledge. lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-04-04 23:03:59)

Siskel and Ebert discussing the original Halloween...

http://youtu.be/-c3nXYo-51M

Siskel and Ebert discussing Wes Craven's New Nightmare...

http://youtu.be/L0VvKe7AC88

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2013-04-05 08:08:34)

Siskel and Ebert on Candyman.  One of my favourite films, and scared the crap out of me when I first saw it and still gives me goose bumps!  So Siskel, you're wrong.  Don't change a thing.

http://youtu.be/_UAkB_cogCg

Siskel and Ebert on Evil Dead...  A ghoulie or splatter film....

http://youtu.be/vQ2zjhHpnN8

Siskel & Ebert on Scream and Scream 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbSwkZ8PHpo

"The Last Airbender is an agonizing experience in every category I can think of and others still waiting to be invented." - Roger Ebert

Rest in peace, good sir.

Nice words from Obama...
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-off … oger-ebert

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is pretty fantastic.. so good work Ebert.

I also enjoy all the feuds he's had with people. Ebert gave the brown bunny a bad review so Vincent Gallo called him a fat pig... haha.

Last edited by Udo (2013-04-06 22:28:29)