Re: What the hell is jason?

Vasquez wrote:

The 'zombies' in I Walked With A Zombie' dont feed on human flesh though do they?

Different zombies altogether, it's the same with White Zombie, or really any zombie movie pre-Romero. They're haitian zombies, not zombie flesh eaters.

Theli wrote:

Punk, Ghouls eat corpses by definition, so I don't think he's a ghoul.

Not always in the Lovecraft world.  At the Mountains of Madness has helpful, non-gobbly ghouls.
But, like Lon, I slice hairs.

LoudLon wrote:

No, not a zombie at all IMO.  But then I'm a purist and have a very narrow definition of what constitutes a zombie: Namely, a person who has died, come back as a walking cadaver and eats human flesh. 

As far as Jason goes, he's a hydrocephalic, learning-disabled psychopathic hillbilly with an incredibly high threshold for pain who dies and is brought back to life with a Frankenstienian dose of electricity with all his pre-death mental faculties in place, only in a rotted -- though not continuously rotting -- body.

I believe the proper term for this is undead.

I'm going with this one LOL

i say hes been everything apart from a vampire (yet that may still happen smile), ithought it was cool when he was brought back from the grave like frankenstein lol,.I think he may have even been close to mummy in one lol.

azathoth wrote:
Theli wrote:

Not always in the Lovecraft world.  At the Mountains of Madness has helpful, non-gobbly ghouls.

Other things are often called ghouls, sometimes grave robbers, in stories. But it's like calling someone who watches TV all day a zombie, or a serial killer a monster. But at least initially ghouls fed on corpses.

I believe this is a case of all of us knowing way too much about horror, lol .

azathoth wrote:
Theli wrote:

I believe the story you're thinking of is The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath.

Last edited by hellrat (2013-05-16 15:53:06)

I'm glad that mostly everyone around here agrees on the true meaning of what a zombie is. It drives me mad whenever someone argues with me over 28 Days Later having zombies, and calling me out for being wrong. I just don't talk about movies like that anymore and nod whenever they're brought up and discussed as zombie movies. Get your facts straight, mortals!

I've had the "28 Days Later isn't zombies" discussion more times than I can count, going all the way back to the weekend it was released.  I'm talking literally dozens of times, and yeah, it frustrates me so badly when folks argue that they're zombies.  THEY'RE NOT, GAT DAMMIT!

No they are not zombies at all, but 28 Days Later is only a couple steps removed from being a zombie movie. Thematically it's not so different from many zombie movies. That said, it and it's sequel never did much for me. I did buy 28 Days... recently on blu-ray, 'cause it was cheap, but haven't had the will to give it another watch.

Theli wrote:

But at least initially ghouls fed on corpses.

So do I. Does that make me a Ghoul??? I guess so.
A Vamp Ghoul, now that's weird. lol

hellrat wrote:

I believe the story you're thinking of is The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath.

Yeah, I think you're correct on that one.  Dang, the brain is getting porous.

LoudLon wrote:

I've had the "28 Days Later isn't zombies" discussion more times than I can count, going all the way back to the weekend it was released.  I'm talking literally dozens of times, and yeah, it frustrates me so badly when folks argue that they're zombies.  THEY'RE NOT, GAT DAMMIT!

It's good to know I'm not alone! Keep up the good fight.

It shouldn't annoy me... but it damn well does.

Might sound dumb here but i cant for the life of me remember how jason actualy died the first time in the movie and came back?.He drownd as a kid but how did he come back!!!

It's never said how he came back.  In part one we learn he drowned as a boy; in part two we learn he saw his mother decapitated at the end of part one.  No explanation given as to how he survived the drowning and lived in the woods all those years, within vicinity of the camp and his mother, yet never bothered to go back to her.

At the end of one he pops out of the water, but seems to be still a boy and not a full grown man. Maybe his mother's death triggered something.

But that was just Alice's dream.  Didn't actually happen.

Friday the 13th -- not exactly known for its strict adherence to logic. lol

Forgot about that. Don't watch the series much, in my humble opinion it is probably the most overrated horror series.

Theli wrote:

Forgot about that. Don't watch the series much, in my humble opinion it is probably the most overrated horror series.

i agree with you there, i did like the second one, which i rate the best out of them but i dont go out my way to watch them, which why i cant remember how he came back.

I agree.  There are a couple installments I enjoy for nostalgic reasons and I acknowledge the series' place in genre history, but I'm not all that big a fan of the series in general.

The Masterful LoudLon Dude wrote:

I don't believe you, I need proof. What are they then???

Best of all Friday The 13th is Freddy VS Jason.
Now THIS one rules. big_smile

Yeah, I know, I know but hey...

LoudLon wrote:

It's never said how he came back.  In part one we learn he drowned as a boy; in part two we learn he saw his mother decapitated at the end of part one.  No explanation given as to how he survived the drowning and lived in the woods all those years, within vicinity of the camp and his mother, yet never bothered to go back to her.

Um I know it may not count but I've red the Ash vs Freddy vs Jason graphic novel. In the novel it says his mom used the book if the dead to bring him back. In jason goes to hell they show the evil dead book. I red they actually wanted to do a Ash vs Freddy vs Jason movie. I really recommend reading both graphic novels. I just remembered the dagger that was used to kill Jason resembles the dagger from the first Evil Dead movie. Trust me downliad the graphic novels if you can't afford them.

Last edited by mike3881 (2013-05-17 22:29:32)

kXnPunk wrote:

I don't believe you, I need proof. What are they then???

Been awhile, but they're infected LIVING people - like a ramped up rabies infection. I think I recall a point in the movie where it shows the infected folks starving to death. Did they eat people, or just spew blood over them? Can't remember.

As for Jason, I took from it that he survived the "drowning" and fended for himself as a recluse for years. Whether or not him and his mother had contact during this time, I don't know.

He definitely dies, then comes back. Honestly, I categorise him as just "Jason." He's something weird and unstoppable all by himself. Don't really think of him as a ghoul or anything, just one stubborn bastard who doesn't enjoy staying dead.