Topic: IF they decide to do another TCM...

I know it's only a rumor, but if Platinum Dunes decided to do another TCM they should use the idea Wildstorm Comics did in their 6-part series. If you haven't read it, it was pretty damn cool. A good continuation of horrors first family...

Granted, I was not happy when I first heard the were remaking the original,  but I gotta admit they did a fairly good job. I know I'm the minority, but 'The Beginning' wasn't all that bad either. It was better than A LOT of the crap coming out nowadays that Hollywood calls "horror".

Maybe PD'll remake 'Blood Beach' and 'Night of the Creeps' while they're at...

Re: IF they decide to do another TCM...

I hated the TCM remake.. But I agree that had they made The Beginnig first rather then the remake I would have liked it alot more.. I probably would have had a fuckin great time actually because it was like a whole new take on TCM.. But because we knew all the new family members would live we knew all the people were going to die.. It was just lifeless the way they did it..

I guess my expectations were SO low going into both, that I left the theater thinking they weren't all that bad. Except when Leatherface lost his arm. WTF?? The police film footage was an awesome touch to the film, I thought.

'The Beginning' could have been so much better if it was a little darker - seeder even. I mean, it had the graphic violence, but just no genuine creepiness...

Is it too much to ask filmmakers nowadays to give us some mood. Give us some genuine fucking scares. And don't do it with jumpy cam or sudden loud noise or any of the other bullshit that they use. Yeah, I jumped because I didn't expect this loud-ass noise when the theater has it cranked to 11...

This Wildstorm comics series starts pretty much where the other one left off. Leatherface doesn't have a right arm. (Because chicks that he outweighs by 200 lbs. can just hack off his arm like nothing) The family is about the same, some new characters. There are FBI agents that find an underground tunnel system with a ton of bodies. Chaos ensues. FBI agents go missing one by one. Chaos ensues. The series really pulls no punches and you get to see that this family isn't just twisted, they're clever twisted. It's a fun read...

Of course, because I can explain things so well, I'm sure this all sounds like a blockbuster in the making and you'll all rush out and get the miniseries...

I hated the remake.  Hell, I saw it before I saw the original.  I watched the remake and went "damn, either the original is also complete shit or this is just a bad film."  I watched the original, instantly fell in love and felt very shaken and a bit disturbed by it. 

"The Beginning" to me has no redeeming values spare for if you like makeup effects its something to fast foward through the dialouge to the kills.  "Beginning" lacked any logical sense considering its less than a minute between Brewster getting from Leatherface to the car....LF must teleport, only way he could get to the car.  And I think that there would be a big police hunt through the area after a cop goes splat...hard to hide that and all that carnage.

I would not want another TCM.  I admit that Platnium Dunes has a nice mission statement of helping young directors into theatrical releases....but for God's sake..please find one who has a sense of style and vision.  All of their films so far look like they were done by the same director.  All have that same lame "false grit" filter on them and the same cinematic style.  There is no seperation to them with feel and if it wasn't for different names at the director credit, you could make the case Marcus Nispel was still making Platinum Dune films.

If you are reading this Mr. Bay, Form, or Fuller or anyone who works at PD.  PLEASE, keep my statement in mind.  There are some good low budget filmmakers out there.  Michael Hurst is good, Jake West also is good...Leigh Scott is pretty decent.  They might have not worked with the latest pop stars, but they actually have experiance making a real film and that outweighs making dozens of 3 minute videos of people singing to the camera.

Please keep that in mind guys at Platnium Dunes.

Last edited by thegoldensimatar (2007-05-26 23:13:56)

Yeah, there were some very questionable parts in TCMTB - okay, there were a lot of questionalbe parts. I guess some of these director's are so used to working in 3 minute spaces that they thought they had cut corners. Hey, it could have been worse. Have you seen ROTLD 4 & 5??

Was Room 6 that good?? Or Razor Blade Smile?? I found them a little suspect. What did Leigh Scott direct?

I myself like the 'film grain' quality to films nowadays. Takes me back. So 'High Tension', 'The Hills Have Eyes' remake weren't good movies because of "film grain"? But that's just me, a child of the 70's & 80's.

I'm just sayin' that with the right director and taking a page from the Wildstorm TCM series, this could make for a decent movie. What else are we going to watch? More remakes? Has anybody read the series? Or should I go to HorrorFanBoys.com?

It's like people that bitch about anything they want to come to the big screen. They cry about how they want one, then it comes out, and then they crab about how this or that was wrong. WTF PEOPLE!! Maybe they just shouldn't make them so then everyone wouldn't have anything to cry about. Or maybe those complaining should go out and make their own movie. Then they could get right. Or they can complain on the Net - Oh! Wait! We already do that.

BTW: Saw 28 Weeks Later today. I thought it was excellent.

I have liked Hurst's and West's films.  They both show good talent and have a few good jump points in them.  They are defiantly rising imo.  Leigh Scott has worked for The Asylum, a Direct to DVD company.  He has done "Beast of Bray Road", "Exorcissm: Poession of Gail Bowers", "The Hitchhiker", "Dragon", "King of the Lost World", "Bram Stoker's Dracula's Curse", "Hillside Cannibals" (I will say that sucked), "9/11 Comission Report", "Pirates of Treasure Island" (also bad) and "Frankenstein Reborn".  Out of Scott's films, "Bray Road", "Lost World", "Hitchhiker" and "Dracula's Curse" are probably my fav.

All of them display directorial competance and could do well with a larger budget and understand the idea of actually making something longer than 3 minutes.  They are just some examples, but not every director has to come from music vids...there are also plenty more talented low budget folks out there who aren't getting attention as low budget usally brings to mind complete crap and some thought that they won't make it look like a music vid to trick the MTV generation into thinking they are watching a good film.

My problem so much isn't with the grain is the fact that every Platnium Dunes film has the same filter of "false grit" and all look they they have been done by the same director.  There is no sense of difference between them.

Never heard of the Wildstorm comic series.

Last edited by thegoldensimatar (2007-05-26 23:57:04)

Wow, the Leigh Scott biography. Thanks, man, I'll have to see if I can't get my paws on some of those suggestions.

Why is it that so many decent directors don't get recognized or be given the chance to direct something for a larger studio? Is it politics? Or they're not "Yes Men"? Are there not any young Hoopers, Carpenters, Cohens, Dantes, Romeros, Dekkers or Yuznas out there?

I have to say, if you're a horror fan (and I know you are - probably more "maniac" than fan - my compliments), get yourself to a comic book shop and pick up that Wildstorm Texas Chainsaw Massacre series. It's worth a read. It may run you around $20 for six books. I really apologize I can't explain things better in type to make it sound like it's the duck's guts. At least go to a comic shop and just peruse through it...

Word on the street is they're doing a one shot called TCM: About a Boy. Leatherface's boyhood. There's actually some good writing going on in horror comics and Hollywood would do themselves a service by tapping into it. Or even going after older novels from Dean Koontz, Robert McCammon, or John Saul. Hell, maybe even the heavy metal artist King Diamond. His albums are creepy enough to be made into movies. Or just a writer who has an original idea!!!

HackNSlash is another one. They're actually making a movie out of that one. A girl survives an attack by a serial killer and then teams up with this big guy and they go out and kill serial killers. Once again, a fun read...

I loved TCM: the Beginning and thought it was way better than the remake. R Lee Emery is awesome as the psychotic leader of the family.

What stinks was part 4: the Next Generation.

I was one of the few that hated "The TCM" remake and "The Beginning".  I didn't hate them because they were remakes/prequels to my favorite horror film, but because I just, plain and simple, didn't like the "re-imagination" of the film.  It was to modernized for my taste, like the crappy MTV editing and the bland characters.  Plus, the route they took with Leatherface was just stupid, imo.

The original "TCM" series is what I'm in love with.  Spare for "The Next Generation", of course.  They should just leave the series alone, after it's been damaged so much by the terrible remake and prequel.

So, naturally, if they decide to do another "TCM" movie, I will see it, but with very, very low expectations.  That's all.

I hated the remake and the prequel not only because of it's editing and bad acting but also because of the story. They took a great creepy story and with their efforts of making it better, it ended up being dull, boring and predictable.

Maybe with the right director, say Alexander Aja or anyone who didn't come from the MTV age, this could franchise could finally get a decent "reimagination" done.

My point being, the Wildstorm Comics miniseries took the storyline in a great, creepy direction. You see how they continue their lives in a way that is kind of like a little self-contained town that no one bothers with or wants to have any part of because of its history. Then the FBI gets involved and they uncover all kinds of shit. Then carnage ensues and it's pretty f-ing cool. They go about their carnage at the slaughterhouse and the Hewitt house, plus other kinds of surprise twisted shite. They aren't just psychos, their clever pyschos that will protect what they got to the end.

The Wildstorm TCM miniseries is the mad note and if PD would swallow some pride and say, "Hey, this is a pretty damn entertaining story. With a REAL director, it could be a great film." But that will probably never happen.

I still think the remakes weren't as bad as everyone nitpicks them to be. But I'm in the minority on that. I'll deal...

The two remakes made around 150 mil in the US, so I think some time down the road, it'll get done. If not, do yourselves a favor, if you are a horror fan, read that Wildstorm Comics TCM miniseries and see what could have been.

I've never read the comic series.  I'll try and pick up a few back issues next time I'm at my local comic book shop.

Here is a link to a great interview with the Wildstorm (Part of DC Comics) creative team behind the TCM miniseries from ComicMonsters.com. Also has some artwork from the first issue.

http://www.comicmonsters.com/modules.ph … p;pid=817/

RacerX wrote:

They aren't just psychos, their clever pyschos that will protect what they got to the end.

You see this is where you completely lose me.. The family was never clever.. Hell they aren't even the Hewitts they are the fuckin Sawyers.. Everything I have seen with the Hewitts has been horrible.. If they go back and use the original family as the good old psychopaths that they are maybe then we are talking... Why beat a dead horse with the Hewitts?

Because in Part 2, they were all brainiacs and so scary. I the think the old man in 'Home Alone' with the shovel creeped me out more.

So all the members of the family would return from the dead. Or some supernatural bullshit excuse like that. Boy, that'd be a hoot. A TCM movie with a supernatural edge.

So let's say the second one never happened. Sure, take it from there. I like that idea. Gimme the grit that made the original so disturbing. But I love that Breakfast Club pose from No. 2's poster.

So what's the story? Have it take place later that day. I can see it now.......The truck Sally is riding in suddenly blows out the right front taking it into the ditch killing the driver on impact. Sally is thrown from the truck...Meanwhile, the running trucker is blown away by a shot from Chef's trusty 12 gauge..."You blown him away real good!" yells a fucked up but alive Hitchhiker...Sally comes to, stands up all confused, panicking, she looks left, right and turns around right into a really pissed off Leatherface. Chainsaw rev, one swipe by the big fella and the view of Sally's legs shows one falling to one side and the other falling to the other side......this is why I just watch movies.

(Deep sigh)...Follow the link. Read the interview. Or better yet, spend $20 of your hard-earned cash and read the series. Or just stand in the comic shop and read it there. If you still think that it's a bullshit story then fine, you win and I have terrible taste in movies and should be banned from the forum so I don't contaminate it with my bad ideas...but it's so much fun. The Hewitt's aren't clever. The Sawyers are dead. I think the -

Fuck it. Maybe they should just make Alone in the Dark 2...

To be honest, if, and this is a big if, they decide to make another TCM movie, they will not base it on the comic books series. Yeah it's a good idea. But i honestly think that they should stop. If they do, they would just remake TCM 2 and leave it at that. But with all this none sense about another TCM movie, will not happen. They already put out so many and they don't need any more TCM movies. But all they have to do if they do plan on coming out with more, just remake the sequels to the original. Also, there's nothing else more you need to know about Leatherface. Everything you need to know is in the movies. If they plan on making more and adding a new story to it, it's going to suck. Plain and simple. So with the whole idea that they should make another TCM based on the comic books series, hell no they shouldn't. Plus another thing, if they keep on making more, they will disgrace the good name that was once called The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. So if they make more, the name and the legacy will start to lose more meaning behind it and will start to lose all that was in the original.

Last edited by BlackDeathDamien (2007-05-29 23:08:40)

Actually for a long time they did plan on doing a "real" sequel to the original TCM.. It was going to take place after Sally got out of their she goes crazy.. Later she comes back to exact her revenge on the family.. Now that would have been bad ass.. Unforutnately it wouldn't work anymore because its just to late..

Everybody has their own ideas about what kind of TCM movie they would like to see.. I just don't see where they can go from here.. I just think that the Hewitts are done with.. I mean how deadly is a one armed Leatherface? To me its just not logical..

OOOOOh i'm a one armed Leatherface. Be scared of me. Don't worry i'll catch you and kill you. How i look at the entire TCM series, there's only one family and one family one and that's from the original TCM. But like i'm saying if they do another one, remake TCM 2 or something. But stop. Just stop with the TCM movies. Right now, it's done. There's no more ideas that they can milk out of the series. So the whole idea with the comic book series. Leave it as the comic book series. Nothing more than that. It's a really bad idea if they do plan on making more and basing it off comic books.

I'm not that hardcore against a sequel.. I mean several franchises have had some down points and then rose again.. I think someone eventually could come along and write a kick ass script.. I guess they could wait awhile but I think you can never say never especially on a character as kick ass as Leatherface..

You know, you're right. I know you're right. I have no leg to stand on because you are right. I don't want you to be right...but you are. All yous guys. I got nothin'.

I mean, a guy can dream. But I guess the reality of the situation is - Hollywood could fuck up a glass of ice water and does on a regular basis. Leatherface is such an iconic character in horror and everything that has been made since the original has just ruined that status.

I really wanted a great sequel to this series. I really did. But it's just one disappointment after another. Reimagined? They just can't get it right. It just sucks. Yeah, I know I said I enjoyed the remakes, but remember, I have shitty taste in movies and I needed a horror fix. The comic book series is good. But who am I kidding, it would turn out a slathering mess. But I had to give it shot.

FUCK!! Well, that kind of helped, I feel a little better...

So, I got this book that's collection of the most disgusting and explicit zombie stories I have ever read called, what else, 'Book of the Dead'. It's got a forward by Romero, stories by - Alright, I'll quit while I'm ahead...

Hey Racer i did enjoy the remake and The Beginning too. And i do completely understand where you are coming from with the whole idea. But I just think there's nothing left that they should do with TCM. Now since they have done the remake and The Beginning that should be it for TCM. But knowing Hollywood, they will come out with more. Just b/c of the good name The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. They look at the name and have been seeing how successful it has been doing on DVD sales and box office reports. So knowing how Hollywood is these days, they will probably milk everything from the series. Which will suck. But it's today's reality and society.

Stupid society. I hate it so much. (me pouting)...

But you're 110% right. They'll do it and it'll suck...and I'll go and see it...

Alright, it's past midnight here. Got to watch Hannibal Rising and go to bed.

And for the record, a one-armed Leatherface does suck. What the hell was that about? Since when can a girl who hula-hoops with a Cheerio, chop off the arm of a guy who's 6'4" & 280 lbs. Geez....

Keep this site kick-ass

I think they need to be done.  Leave "The TCM" series alone.  It's been damaged enough with the unwatchable remake and the shitty-ass prequel.

I love the original...the remake and the prequel and I think 1 of few that did actually I think its bet alot of the other shitty remakes for instance Black Christmas...but it should be left alone now they had two really good movies and it should be left alone now..

i loved the original and the Begenning. but they should give it a rest already