Re: For Marvel comic movies.

Just a heads up.  The first official Guardians of the Galaxy still has been released...

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/1619/673k.jpg

Oddly, this is an unfinished still from early in the production.  Digital tweaks are to be expected (mostly in regards to Gamora and Drax's skin color).  Rocket Raccoon and Groot look pretty cool, though.

Nice I can't wait for the movie to come out I'm a big fan of the guardians. I hope the movie gives the series more of a following. I have nobody to talk to about the series.

Well, we now have the lead actor for Ant-Man:

http://www.classicalite.com/articles/48 … l-rudd.htm

Owning the rights to Marvel, Disney is making bank, and will continue to do so for eons. Why Marvel sold out is beyond me?? What a mistake!

^ Piggy backing on this, Rudd is Scott Lang and Michael Douglas has been cast as Hank Pym...intriguing but makes me sad because that means we probably wont get Wasp too since she is more central to Pym than Lang.  But maybe this means that Pym will later be featured as Giant-Man or Yellow Jacket

Also the rumor is that Disney wants Johnny Depp for Dr. Strange....which if anyone saw Disney's choice in casting him as Tonto in Lone Ranger means that a Dr. Stronge movie might end up sucking.  Anyone but Depp please!

I heard they were in talks with Depp. I think Wil Arnett would be an interesting choice for dr strange. I like Daniel Craig for Lex Luther.

Cool poster for the guardians of the galaxy.

http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/ad_127934252.jpg

The trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQRqShJGIJc

Other than the next new Avengers movie, this is the one I'm most excited to see. Hard to say if comic book fans will embrace this movie?

The new Captain America movie is getting REALLY good early reviews and tons of hype from the producers and studio execs. I'm guessing the second installment is going make more money than the first.

^^^
The comic fan I am certainly will embrace it.
Man, it's freaking Whedon again so it should kick ass.

And yeah Cap America Winter Soldier will be mad, everything I see about it makes me wanna watch it NOW!!! big_smile

Cap: TWS is looking to be one of the all-time greats.  I recently read (and may have already posted it hereabouts somewhere) that Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige was so impressed with an early cut of the flick that that he's already hired the same directors to do the third Cap flick.

As for GotG, I caught the first trailer a few days ago and thought that it was a bit under-whelming.  However, the movie's still in post-production, which means they didn't have a whole lot they could show, so it didn't bother me that the trailer was a bit clunky.  I'm still super-jazzed for it.

GotG:  I watched the official (mini) trailer a few days ago and there wasn't much to gawk at.  I like the comics, and am glad to see that Marvel is exploring other characters than those in the mainstream.

Cap: I'm sure, Lon your pretty pumped for the movie. Being that Cap is your fav hero, and all the positive press it's getting.

Underdog wrote:

Other than the next new Avengers movie, this is the one I'm most excited to see. Hard to say if comic book fans will embrace this movie?

It's not comic fans you have to worry about.  Guardians isnt a supremely popular book but comic fans will no doubt go and support it.  But will the general public?  A lot of these Marvel movies have been built around being relateable to the general public and thats easier to do with well known characters like Capt American and Iron Man.  But a film with characters almost no one outside of the comic community knows, thats a tougher sell.  Seeing how GoTG does will be a big tell tale sign of what to expect from Ant Man and any lesser known characters they announce for the 3rd wave.

I look at it like this:  for every one person who sees the trailer and thinks "A raccoon with machine guns???" there are five others who think "A raccoon with machine guns!!!"  The Marvel name alone will pull the audiences in; the unique characters, humor and sci-fi action will bring them back for repeated viewings.

This flick has nothing to worry about.  It's going to do just fine.

As for the general audience is concerned.  Having well known actors such as: Vin Diesel, Benicio Del Toro, Michael Rooker, and Glenn Close in the movie. This will lure them in.

I'm stoked that Lloyd kaufman is rumored to also be in it.

Seeing how well EVERY one of these Marvel movies did, even Daredevil the not fans of comics will still hop onboard...

We'll see.  I think it will struggle a bit and would be lucky to fall in the $65 million dollar opening weekend range that Capt. America or Thor first debuted to.  Those were well known characters, I still say the Marvel name will only get them so far with a bunch of characters nobody knows.  Think Watchmen, comic adored by many but unknown to the general public and struggled to find it's audience. 

I'd love nothing more then to see it succeed more then I expect but I think as Marvel gets into the Guardians and Ant Man territory, lesser known character films may struggle.

I hope guardians of the galaxy does well Sci-Fi movies don't always do well at the box office. Maybe Thanos himself could get his own movie there are a couple graphic novels out there of him trying to do the right thing. He's just a weird character thus my favorite character.

Last edited by mike3881 (2014-02-27 14:01:20)

DAREDEVIL was definitely their worst!

The Director's Cut makes Daredevil a bit more tolerable but I agree, it's pretty bad.  I actually liked Affleck as the character (dude gets a hard time from most, but he's got chops).  The problem is that Mark Steven Johnson simply doesn't know how to make a good comic book movie, the proof being that he also went on to ruin Ghost Rider.

Actually, speaking of Ghost Rider, I'd actually wager the sequel, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, was even worse than DD.  But not by much.

Marvel are doing great, which is nice to see. I thought it was funny when I read awhile back how Marvel were launching their new movie which features a gun-toting space raccoon, whereas DC can't seem to move away from their two main flagship characters - hell, even featuring both of them together and they can't get it off the ground. I'm no fanboy, I enjoy both, but they've gotta step up their game.

I'm still bitter about Fox's efforts. X-men series is a complete mess (couple of good movies in there) and Fantastic Four wasn't so hot either. In a way, keeping X-men away from the Marvel Cinematic Universe is a good thing (some things just don't work together at all), but the loss of some key characters is a bit of a knock down.

I wish the FF would go back to Marvel.  Fox has shown they can't do much of anything when it comes to their Marvel properties.  X-Men 2 was really good, I thought, but I haven't liked any of their other X-Men movies (they rely way too much on Wolverine, a character of whom I've never been much of a fan) and we saw how badly they anal-raped the Fantastic Four.  The only good thing to come out of those two flicks was Michael Chiklis as The Thing (though Chris Evans did what he could with the badly under-written Johnny Storm).

Marvel needs the FF back and, by extension, Silver Surfer and Galactus.  The FF and Galactus are so vital to the Marvel Universe that without them, even with some of the stellar flicks Marvel Studios has given us, the Marvel Cinematic Universe will never feel fully complete.  At least we know Marvel would do the characters right.  I shiver at the thought of Fox's upcoming bastardization.

LoudLon wrote:

Actually, speaking of Ghost Rider, I'd actually wager the sequel, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, was even worse than DD.  But not by much.

NO IT WASN'T. tongue
But that's just my opinion...

I liked SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE, but not the first.

Yeah, no Galactus or Dr Doom for MCU really sucks.

At least they're pumping out some more mature shows like the Daredevil one.

I'd say Spirit of Vengence, Elektra, FF2,  and Howard the Duck are all worse than Daredevil.