Topic: Could Alien Really Happen In The Distant Future?

Based on the assumption that there may be other life in the universe - perhaps not friendly, particularly when life has to survive in the harsch conditions of other planets in space - and as technology continues to improve at a ever increasing rate could we meet a hostile alien race ala Alien in real life sometime in the distant future?

Re: Could Alien Really Happen In The Distant Future?

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities, especially when you see how many suns there are just in our universe alone, imagine the billions more throughout the infinity of space... it seems impossible that life would only exist on this small speck among all of that.

However, since we are such a small outpost in such a huge ocean of stars, an intelligent life form may have a hard time even finding us. Of course if that life form has evolved way beyond our current state of technology, space travel may not be such a difficult issue as we think it is.

I just read that travel to Mars for humans currently would cause cancer in the astronauts who are making that trip because of exposure to radiation which penetrates the spacecraft during the travel. We can't figure out how with our current technology to prevent that. Our astronauts would die after the trip.

But there may be some very evolved life out there. That was a cool aspect of Ridley Scott's film Prometheus.

Last edited by getken (2013-07-01 21:18:20)

Why not, space is a big place.

"I believe" to quote a well known TV show. But there's too much evidence to deny it. Not a future that far really more like the present.

Daddy, do you think we are alone in the Universe???
I don't think so my dear Eleanor, it'd be a big waste of space. Love. Love Love. smile

Been running SETI since 1998 everyday. So yep, I'm an Alien freak.

Not for nothing I've been elected The Most Likely To Be Abducted By Aliens in Tripod's thread. lol

I love that little 18 cms Alien dude they found recently. He ROCKS like H3LL!!! big_smile

Why would it have to be outer space?
I believe there's more we don't know about our own planet than we realize.
Who knows what real horrors the right environmental conditions could create?

I think it's often funny how it's assumed that if we ever do make contact with alien life, that said alien life will be far more advanced than us.  Nobody stops to think of the possibility that maybe WE would be the more advanced.

Not that I believe that for a second -- it's a big universe and I tend to think that this is not as good as it gets -- but it's a possibility.

^^^
It would be a funny premise that a less advanced alien race than us was able to travel through space to get here. Another possibility is dimensional travel. What was that Jody Foster film where she travelled through space yet time was barely affected? That was a cool film. There of course are many possibilities and unknowns.

If anyone was to be hostile it would be us.lol  I see our planet eventually becoming like the star trek universe.

Last edited by mike3881 (2013-07-01 21:41:43)

getken wrote:

What was that Jody Foster film where she travelled through space yet time was barely affected? That was a cool film.

The Daddy/Eleanor quote I posted is from that film, it's called CONTACT and it's fantastic. She's also part of the SETI [Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence] in this. But she's got much more powerful antennas that my mind's ones. lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-07-01 21:43:32)

I believe that there is intelligent life out there... somewhere?! The realm of possibility is too great for there not to be. Considering that space is supposedly infinite.........

How intelligent? Who knows?
Hostile? Maybe?

If ever discovered/proved? I just hope I'm around to see it.

getken wrote:

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities, especially when you see how many suns there are just in our universe alone, imagine the billions more throughout the infinity of space... it seems impossible that life would only exist on this small speck among all of that.

However, since we are such a small outpost in such a huge ocean of stars, an intelligent life form may have a hard time even finding us. Of course if that life form has evolved way beyond our current state of technology, space travel may not be such a difficult issue as we think it is.

I just read that travel to Mars for humans currently would cause cancer in the astronauts who are making that trip because of exposure to radiation which penetrates the spacecraft during the travel. We can't figure out how with our current technology to prevent that. Our astronauts would die after the trip.

But there may be some very evolved life out there. That was a cool aspect of Ridley Scott's film Prometheus.

Yes, I agree that they would have a hard time finding us among the billions of Star Systems out there but I don't agree that "space travel wouldn't be a difficult issue". I think that it would be easier to find us than to travel here. The lack of alien visitation over billions of years proves that  interstellar space travel just may not be possible.

With regards to radiation , astronauts have already spent many months at a time in our space stations without dying from the radiation. I think that we have the technology to protect travellers from the radiation in space. In any case even if this were true I believe it would take many years to develope cancer from the trip. I don't think they would die right away, it would probably take 20 to 30 years. This is only my opinion and I may be wrong on this .

Whether the Aliens would be hostile or not, our own experience here on Earth shows that the more advanced always takes advantage and conquers and occupies the other.  Stephen Hawking said that "the outcome would not be good if we encountered Aliens"

Earth is like one spec of sand on a beach, and the beach being the entire universe. There has to be some other life form other than just humans out there somewhere.

Them being more advanced/intelligent than us? Who knows, they may be the same as us or not even as smart as us humans.

Do you guys think alien species could be as terrifying as those in Alien?

Simple, no.

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

Simple, no.

I don't know, we have got some pretty terrifying creatures here on earth.

Sure, why not?

Vasquez wrote:

I sure freaking hope so. lol

I'm hoping for sexy aliens. Would you do a sexy looking alien..............I would.lol

Im hoping for a shape-shifter alien that could turn into a real life version of Jessica from Who Framed Roger Rabbit myself.

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-07-02 20:07:37)

I'd do a Rosie Jones looking Alien anyday. lol

getken wrote:

^^^
It would be a funny premise that a less advanced alien race than us was able to travel through space to get here. Another possibility is dimensional travel. What was that Jody Foster film where she travelled through space yet time was barely affected? That was a cool film. There of course are many possibilities and unknowns.

I wasn't thinking so much of traveling through space as I was an alien race picking up one of our broadcasts.  We've been sending them out since the early 40s or so -- not to mention that when the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still came out, they also started broadcasting a signal carrying that film into outer space (seriously!).  So if we were even a mere sixty or seventy years more advanced technologically than another race, there's still the possibility they could pick it up, which would mean we made first contact.

Boo-yah!

Most people believe that there has to be other life  out there but find it puzzlingly that in every direction we listen in ,there is only the static noise of space ? SETI says that it needs more time, we haven't been listening long enough and we have to target more star systems.  SETI says that they may be able pick up a signal within the next 20 years at the rate they are progressing,assuming that such a signal even exists ?

Vasquez wrote:

Let us just hope that the universe does not have its own version of Australia out there.  An entire world of technological dropbears.... <shudders>

^^^
Hahahaha Yeah...

I like the thought that they don't need to come from Outter Space.
Like they say in the Pacific Rim trailer, We thought Aliens would come from Space but they were deep down under the Pacific.

Sigh...
I search for "underwater monsters" and I get this...

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/10/23/underwater-dogs-seth-casteel.jpg

Really?