Topic: When did you first realize you loved horror?

When did you first realize that you loved horror movies?

How old were you?

Which  horror movie did you first see that turned you on to horror flicks? smile

It could have been a movie or a series. (Like The Twilight Zone)

Re: When did you first realize you loved horror?

Since I was just a little kid! 5 years old, and at the earliest, 4 years old. The first films I remember loving were the Nightmare On Elm Street series, Child's Play, IT, Pet Sematary (which still scares me to this day), a few Friday the 13ths, Halloween, Pumpkinhead, and the Goosebumps TV series.

Since I was a little kid. My cousin who also loves horror movies use to let me watch horror movies with her when she babysat me. I remember the first movie I fell in live with was Halloween II. Till this day it's my favorite horror movie of all time. I use to look forward to her coming over. Even when she didn't bring over a horror movie she would tell me a scary story. I still remember her telling me the story to American Gothic.

1982 when I first saw Evil Dead. I was hooked right away.
So I like it because of Groovy Bruce. Thank you my man. big_smile

Oh, I was 11... Damn, so long ago...

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-07-20 06:21:14)

I was a bit late to the party myself. The film that got me into horror was the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The raw,grainy, semi-documentary aesthetic of the film that contributes to it's power and which I encountered on my first viewing started my love of the genre. I reckon I was 16/17 at the time.

The thirst for horror starts young! I guess I had a relaxed upbringing with regards to the kinds of movies I was allowed to watch. I wasn't really ever limited, so I got my hands on enough horror VHS tapes that my family owned to let my imagination keep me up at night. There was such a thrill to it, even at a very young age.

One of my earliest memories was actually a nightmare I had about JC's Halloween. Was exposed to the likes of Child's Play, ANOES, Texas Chainsaw Massacre - all of which totally fascinated me. I mean, obviously I was scared, but it was so cool as well.

And it has stayed with me after all these years!

Probably when I was about 5 years old watching Frankenstein - the original Boris Karloff one.

When I was 5, I saw the movie Tremors,  I loved it then, and I still love now, Since then  I seen most of main horror movies from 5-12-

I wasn't into horror when I was a kid.  I did like the Universal stuff but I was too young to understand what a "monster" was. lol  I remember seeing both King Kong and Phantom of the Opera when I was very young, and while the famous unmasking of the Phantom freaked me out, I don't remember thinking of those films as what I would later learn to be "horror films."  I did see little bits and pieces of stuff like The Sentinel '77 (horrified me as a kid, but now it's one of my favorite horror flicks) and I remember accidentally walking in on a pay-cable showing of Friday the 13th at my cousin's house, right when Kevin Bacon gets the arrow in the bunk bed.

But I didn't really get into horror until I was around 15 or 16.  Spent a weekend at my best friend's house.  He actually was a massive horror fan so the entire weekend we spent watching horror films.  And I'm not talking little sissy horror films, I'm talking graphic, splattery stuff like Suspiria, Blood Diner, Evil Dead 2, Street Trash, and a bunch of others.  After that weekend, I was hooked.

LoudLon wrote:

I wasn't into horror when I was a kid....

But I didn't really get into horror until I was around 15 or 16...

You've certainly made up for lost time. You know a hell of a lot about it. smile

Oh, man, you have no idea.  After that weekend the local video stores became my churches.  And this was the mid-late 80s, during the VHS boom, when video stores had more tapes than they could shelve and had to start stacking them on the floors.  I would often rent upwards of a dozen movies every Friday and spend the weekend watching them.  There were many times where I'd rent eight or nine, watch them all straight through in one night and then hit the video store the next day and rent more.  Throw in the random weekdays I'd rent movies and you're talking an average of 20-25 videos a week.  I'd wager that within a year after that weekend at my friend's house, I'd probably seen upwards of 1,000 horror movies or so.  And that was 25 or 26 years ago, so you can imagine how many I've seen by now. lol

LoudLon wrote:

Oh, man, you have no idea.  After that weekend the local video stores became my churches.  And this was the mid-late 80s, during the VHS boom, when video stores had more tapes than they could shelve and had to start stacking them on the floors.  I would often rent upwards of a dozen movies every Friday and spend the weekend watching them.  There were many times where I'd rent eight or nine, watch them all straight through in one night and then hit the video store the next day and rent more.  Throw in the random weekdays I'd rent movies and you're talking an average of 20-25 videos a week.  I'd wager that within a year after that weekend at my friend's house, I'd probably seen upwards of 1,000 horror movies or so.  And that was 25 or 26 years ago, so you can imagine how many I've seen by now. lol

You certainly have a great knowledge of the subject.

Even back when I was a little kid, and flicks like The Exorcist scared the living piss out of me, I've always loved horror. I'd watch horror flicks through my fingers and closed eyes, and I just loved it, and came back for more.  It's what I am, and who I am. I. Am. Horrible... er, Horror. big_smile

All great replies.

I discovered Horror pretty young,

I first got into all the GODZILLA films and became a Godzilla freak. I have a whole collection.

Then I seen the old original Dracula and Frankenstein movies with Bela and Boris (I was about ten or eleven! lol)

I LOVED it!

The rest as they say is history! big_smile

Vasquez wrote:

I was a bit late to the party myself. The film that got me into horror was the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The raw,grainy, semi-documentary aesthetic of the film that contributes to it's power and which I encountered on my first viewing started my love of the genre. I reckon I was 16/17 at the time.

Texas Chainsaw is my #1 favorite horror flick!!!

Seen it a few hundred times. lol

I have a super awesome GOLD dvd set that also has a "Making of the movie" dvd in it.

To see Edwin Neal WITHOUT his make up on (facial scar) and crooked face and talking like  a crazy person I NEVER would have known it was him! LOL

Dang great acting!!!

big_smile

YEAH!!

http://zingsnap.typepad.com/.a/6a0115712c455f970c0163055d63d8970d-450wi

Ok, my pic showed this time.

Woo Hoo!

I am using crappy Explorer but it worked. lol

Mistress, have you see A Family Portrait? Awesome doc about the movie.

I've got like, 10 versions of that flick, including the original banned VHS from the early 80s. Twas banned in Canada. Silly country.

Oh! And I also seen The original Night Of The Living Dead when I was about ten!

It became a cult favorite for me INSANTLY!

They are coming to get you Baaaarbara!  They're coming for you!!

When I was about 6 or 7, I started with The Werewolf 80s series.

PapiRico52 wrote:

When I was about 6 or 7, I started with The Werewolf 80s series.

lol Another youngster!

I liked that series.  One of the first shows on the then-fledgling Fox channel.  Loved Chuck Connors as the bad guy.  What I remember most about that show was one episode where the dude is shot while human and buried, only to turn into a werewolf while in the grave and dig himself out.  Liked that part so much I appropriated it for a werewolf script I was working on a couple years ago. lol

When I was really young I watched horror TV shows for kids like Are You Afraid of the Dark? and read Goosebumps books. But I didn't really start watching horror movies until I was in high school. Before that I had seen the odd Friday the 13th, Chucky or Halloween sequel thought that's what horror was. And I think I saw the Ring and it legitamately scared me and I began looking into horror films, I think the first flick to get me hooked was Nosferatu, shortly afterwards I saw Suspiria and I was completely hooked. That was 1999-2000 I guess, so I was probably 13.

Last edited by Theli (2013-07-20 15:29:41)

I think when I was like 5 or 6 I got really into horror movies. It worried my mom, but she still let me watch them with her sometimes. I wasn't really into Goosebumps that much though they just weren't scary enough to me.

Zed_Chuva wrote:

Mistress, have you see A Family Portrait? Awesome doc about the movie.

I've got like, 10 versions of that flick, including the original banned VHS from the early 80s. Twas banned in Canada. Silly country.

No I haven't! Where can I get it?