Topic: Has anyone seen "Occult" ("Okaruto") by Kôji Shiraishi?

This is one of the most powerful horror films I have ever experienced (Hell, its one of the most powerful examples of the film/video medium I have ever seen, in any context).  Its not hugely entertaining in the conventional sense (parts of it are rather slow, and for a while it doesn't seem like its going anywhere...although it most definitely is), but the total impact it had on me was tremendous.  I mean, this is the sort of movie I would say you probably shouldn't watch if you're depressed, because it might increase the likelihood of your committing suicide, LOL.  It was made on a very low budget, and some of the special effects scenes make that fact painfully clear...but this really isn't a movie one watches for the special effects.  Its just an amazing story.  Its rather loosely based on the fiction of H.P. Lovecraft (it seems very loosely based, but by the end, I thought it was the most authentically Lovecraftian, modern-style film ever made...although its not based on any of his stories in particular, but rather his general milieu).

Has anyone else seen this?

It was never released on an English-language DVD (as far as I know), but you can watch it on YouTube, where for some reason, its called "The Unearthly."  You have to turn on the English text captioning (and be prepared to read subtitles, obviously).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNfzcbsFc0

Re: Has anyone seen "Occult" ("Okaruto") by Kôji Shiraishi?

I probably should have mentioned its a "found footage" film.

I haven't seen it, but I sure want to now. I hate watching movies on Youtube though. I wonder if they ever released a european or north american DVD with subtitles, or if the japanese has english subtitles. It's a bitch to order from Japan though, and expensive.

Had mentioned this movie before - the reveal at the end though was ridiculously cheesy and corny. Should have omitted that out as the movie is better without that reveal.

fmvgamer wrote:

Had mentioned this movie before - the reveal at the end though was ridiculously cheesy and corny. Should have omitted that out as the movie is better without that reveal.

The special effects are pretty bad there, yes, but I thought it still worked.  It was a very despairing image.

Oh that's another asian one I've enjoyed a whole lot.
Damn these asians are so great at movie making.

Shiraishi's "The Curse" ("Noroi") is a truly excellent film (and much more conventionally entertaining), but I suppose a pretty large segment of you guys are familiar with that one.  Its a lot more readily accessible.

Yes, it's my favorite asian one EVER. So awesome at every level.

Shiraishi likes his found footage movies , he also did "shirome" , a mockumentary about a japanese teen idol group.

I know this is a little late to reply to, but I joined this forum just for this thread! I wanted to say reading what you posted made me feel so much better about myself. When I watched Koji's film

^^^
Never too late to enjoy such a brilliant director.

Oh, and wH3LLcome to our MADhouse!!!

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-03-30 10:47:16)

This is on my watch list at the moment, with another  5000 movies lol , OK , only 10000

It's a shame the don't have subs!

I hate dubs,

Yeah, subtitled PLEASE!!!