Topic: Hear good things about Ti West but....

someone please suggest a film of his that will change my mind....i saw innkeepers and house of the devil......i admit, i was sucked in enough to finish them....but i was bored for the most part until the last 15-20 minutes for both.....yet, people keep talking about how hes shit....are all his films like that, just an hour of build up with 15 minutes of fun??? or am i just not a real horror aficionado???

Re: Hear good things about Ti West but....

I personally love him, but I think it has to do with the kind of horror movie you are into. You could watch The Roost or his part of V/H/S possibly. I believe House Of The Devil was his best movie so far, but I have heard different opinions, some say it is Cabin Fever 2 and I hated it.

i liked house of the devil far more than the innkeepers, thats for sure...ritualistic worshipping is always a plus for me...but thank you, i'll check out The Roost...

I have blind bought and watched House of The Devil and thought it was a decent film, but no masterpiece. I wasn't impressed at all with his segment in V/H/S and even less so with his quite, simply, lazy and shock-for-shock sake segment in ABC of Death. Saying that I really didn't like Jason Eisner's segment in ABC either and I LOVED Hobo with a Shotgun.

I like the Innkeepers and I love Cabin Fever 2 (which he doesn't take credit for directing) But for the most part I think he's very overrated. Most of his movies just consist of people walking around in the dark for two hours. Some people might call it suspenseful or atmospheric, but I call it boring. But that's just my opinion.

Suspiria_89 wrote:

I like the Innkeepers and I love Cabin Fever 2 (which he doesn't take credit for directing) But for the most part I think he's very overrated. Most of his movies just consist of people walking around in the dark for two hours. Some people might call it suspenseful or atmospheric, but I call it boring. But that's just my opinion.

i get the suspense aspect....but after the 'walking around in the dark for 2 hours' (which i agree with) goes on for 10 minutes, i just get bored...and then aggravated.....and it is atmospheric....but thats it...imma give The Rooster a try....

Check out Roost or any other of his movies and see what you think.  However, it sounds like you don't like his more well liked films, so maybe his style isn't for you.  There's plenty other directors out there.  I don't think anyone here will try to convince you to like him.

Love everything he's done. But especially Cabin Fever 2. Yes more than House Of The Devil and Innkeepers. I like the sickness of the shots.
He also has a short called The Wicked which is just that.

Haven't bothered with Cabin Fever 2 (hated the first one, why would I bother with the second?) but I thought House of the Devil was really good.  The Innkeepers, enh.  I appreciate West's use of slow and deliberate pacing but it was just TOO damn slow in that one.  It took me three times to get through the whole movie because the first two times, I fell asleep.  No bullshit.

But House...yeah, good flick.

kXnPunk wrote:

Love everything he's done. But especially Cabin Fever 2. Yes more than House Of The Devil and Innkeepers. I like the sickness of the shots.
He also has a short called The Wicked which is just that.

i do like the part in house of the devil when the babysitters friend is dropping her off....and their conversation is being shot from the backseat....and you just see more and more trees passing by, letting you know theyre going deeper and deeper into the woods....i thought that was awesome....more i think about it....i never did stop watching....so i was obviously captivated....