Topic: the occult

out of curiosity....do you indulge??? do you practice??? do you believe??? does it scare you??? or do you think its just fantasy?? like i said....just curious...

me personally, ive been interested in it since a youth....i went to a christian school....dealt with funamentalist relatives....religion itself has always been interesting to me...at around 16, is when i really started reading on it....it changed me...for the good that is....

so where do you stand??

Re: the occult

I stand as a user.

I can do various stuff but one thing I'm good at is telepathy.

For example, I can make people [which are receptive to this] do stuff. Like once I was at the mall and thought hey dude in the red shirt, sit down which he did then stand up and sit back which he also did.
That's cool.
Once, I made my cousin grab his ass repeatedly. He freaked. lol

I can also cast spells but that's a whole different story...

kXnPunk wrote:

I stand as a user.

I can do various stuff but one thing I'm good at is telepathy.

For example, I can make people [which are receptive to this] do stuff. Like once I was at the mall and thought hey dude in the red shirt, sit down which he did then stand up and sit back which he also did.
That's cool.
Once, I made my cousin grab his ass repeatedly. He freaked. lol

I can also cast spells but that's a whole different story...

do you follow a certain tradition??

I've always been interested in it. When I was junior high, and high school I picked up all the occult books from my local libraries. I've read a decent amount about older pagan religions as well, especially druidic traditions. I also used to attempt spells and various rituals, sometimes with a friend, sometimes on my own. Nothing ever happened, though one of my friends who I attempted rituals with believes some of the stuff we did actually did something. I still find it interesting.

Newer books on the occult are mostly just bogus (well I guess the old ones are too, but at least they were trying to be legit), they just make up spells, rituals, traditions, languages, whatever, that have no precedent in past traditions. Now if I break into an occult tome it's an old one, I love Crowley's writings and I also enjoy the The Book of Abramelin by Abraham von Worms, and still hold interest in exploring older occultists and traditions.

A newer aspect of occultism and magick that interests me is Chaos Magick. I'd like to read more into it and some of its "practioners" works. Grant Morrison and Alan Moore are/were proponents of the system, though the system itself is almost meant in jest, and is perhaps more of an idealogy than a religion. As far as I know it is based on the acceptance of imagination and reality as one and the same, or are at least directly tied together, and how we can influence the world around us by our imagination.

Edit: Damn bug cutting off half my post.

Last edited by Theli (2013-08-08 17:00:44)

I did the same thing Theli did- scour all the local libraries.  Never tried to do anything, I'm more for "learning" rather than doing.

Theli wrote:

I've always been interested in it. When I was junior high, and high school I picked up all the occult books from my local libraries. I've read a decent amount about older pagan religions as well, especially druidic traditions. I also used to attempt spells and various rituals, sometimes with a friend, sometimes on my own. Nothing ever happened, though one of my friends who I attempted rituals with believes some of the stuff we did actually did something. I still find it interesting.

Newer books on the occult are mostly just bogus (well I guess the old ones are too, but at least they were trying to be legit), they just make up spells, rituals, traditions, languages, whatever, that have no precedent in past traditions. Now if I break into an occult tome it's an old one, I love Crowley's writings and I also enjoy the The Book of Abramelin by Abraham von Worms, and still hold interest in exploring older occultists and traditions.

A newer aspect of occultism and magick that interests me is Chaos Magick. I'd like to read more into it and some of its "practioners" works. Grant Morrison and Alan Moore are/were proponents of the system, though the system itself is almost meant in jest, and is perhaps more of an idealogy than a religion. As far as I know it is based on the acceptance of imagination and reality as one and the same, or are at least directly tied together, and how we can influence the world around us by our imagination.

Edit: Damn bug cutting off half my post.

funny you brought up chaos magick because i just recently read on it the night i wrote this, haha....chaos magick seems to work off the basis of all magick...once understanding magick, you see it has to do with will and belief...which, chaos magick ulitmately works off of belief...using many traditions...

and im also a fan of crowley...what occultist isnt??(i know, there are many occultists who dont agree with him though) i have a portrait of him tattooed on my calf, haha....

but thats cool...i can really tell that you know what youre talking about....not just some gothic teen who thinks the satanic bible holds power, haha....

Crowley, Lovecraft are the leaders but there plenty of other ones. My favorite [of these others] is Bodin Angevin and his De La Démonomanie Des Sorciers [Of the Demon-mania of the Sorcerers] a very interesting book writen in MDXCIII in old school french. freaking amazing read.

On Open Library a very cool spot BTW. HERE!!!
http://www.archive.org/stream/delademon … 9/mode/2up

More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Bodin … rcerers.29

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5211/5476725500_2cbe56494b_z.jpg

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-08-09 05:05:25)

^Very cool Punk, I will have to leaf through it when I have more time. The language is dense, it's been too long since I'd used French it will be a bitch to make it through.

As for Lovecraft, though I'm sure he inspired some occultists, his works are complete fiction and he himself was an atheist.

The occult is the one area in the horror genre that really can scare me. As a kid seeing the Exorcist in the cinema I couldn't sleep restfully for two weeks after. It really scared the crap out of me. At around the same time (high school) I was smoking a lot of pot. I went to a friends house one evening and we were smoking heavily. I think he may have spiked the weed with some angel dust. I'll never know the truth. But I started halucinating... and it was all bad satan inspired stuff. I prefer not to go there.

Yeah I would say you weed was spiked with something, most likely PCP. Though that experience would keep me away from PCP and untrustworthy friends more than the occult.

No I don't, and never have indulged in the occult. That shit scares the hell outta me! Probably because of my beliefs in God. Closest I ever got was doing the "Bloody Mary" thing in a bathroom as a kid.  And even that was pretty chilling.

As a kid I too saw "The Exorcist" at the theater. To this day, no movie has EVER scared me like that one did.

getken wrote:

The occult is the one area in the horror genre that really can scare me. As a kid seeing the Exorcist in the cinema I couldn't sleep restfully for two weeks after. It really scared the crap out of me. At around the same time (high school) I was smoking a lot of pot. I went to a friends house one evening and we were smoking heavily. I think he may have spiked the weed with some angel dust. I'll never know the truth. But I started halucinating... and it was all bad satan inspired stuff. I prefer not to go there.

understood....alot of people think of satanic worship, blood sacrifice, inverted pentagrams, and things of that nature when its comes to the occult....i also did as a young age...until a buddy of mine, who was a practitioner himself, introduced me to a few books to shed some light on the subject...i found out that shit like that is hollywood theatrics....not to say people in the medieval times didnt worship satan or such....but books like the satanic bible arent true grimoires...theyre just blasphemous....rebellious to the judeo christian faith....satanism is about finding pleasure in the acts the bible consider sinful....like casual sex....

i remember talking to my buddy, saying how i wanted to buy the satanic bible...he kinda laughed and asked if i really wanted to read an evil book.....

that book, im guessing Theli regards as bogus, was the Necronomicon..maybe because of its connection to Lovecrafts stories and the fact that it was introduced to the world after Lovecrafts death..many occultists regard it as fake...but others will tell you that its a very powerful grimoire....its true, some of the language in it doesnt add up...for instance, "Alzhared" The Mad Arab (the writer of the Necronomicon), doesnt follow arabic grammer...but even critics who consider the book a hoax, will still claim it is a powerful grimoire....

to theli, even if its a hoax...this is where chaos magick would come into play....because belief would be the main concept of its work....check out The Gates of the Necronomicon.....Simon has a great Foreword and "Prolegomena to a Study of Occultism"

anyways...that was my real introduction into occultism....but ive never been a true practitioner...but they say Elihpas Levi wasnt even a practitioner....and he wrote many books on it..History of Magick, i believe???.... though, we all practice magick without knowing it....

Funny me and my friends were just talking about this last night. Imo most magic is b.s. Dont get me wrong I find the subject fascinating I just dont believe anyone can actually do any kind of magic. I'm sure therr might be a few people who can do magic around tje world but I doubt there are many.

The occult was something I might try when I was in high school but now that I'm an adult would feel silly.

Theli wrote:

^Very cool Punk, I will have to leaf through it when I have more time. The language is dense, it's been too long since I'd used French it will be a bitch to make it through.

As for Lovecraft, though I'm sure he inspired some occultists, his works are complete fiction and he himself was an atheist.

Even I that my mother language is french am having a H3LL of a time reading it. lol

getken, reminds me of Astral Travels I was doing with my friend which acted as my Master. First time I went up but never did get back to that crappy place again. Went down, down, down to the Abyssa of the Underground. First orange, the red which was full of the creppiest Demons I've ever seen in any damn scary as mad Horror films, much more EVIL!!! But my buddy told me that I had to remember that I was the one with the steering wheel in my hands so when it became too insanely bad and crazy, I just went back up.

Stopped doing it because the first time I went into the Dark Obscure Black layer, it was the scariest thing that ever happened to me since I was born. Was trying to come back out but these Demonic fuckers were holding me... Was glad to come back... Fiiieeewww. smile

And these were only the first Black level ones. The ones farther down must be utterly BADASS!!! You sure gotta come back possessed like H3LL from this. Probably what happened to me. Mwahahaha

And your weed, yeah, definitely PCP. Damn I hate this crap. FAR from the real Mescalin we had in the days which was natural, not that damn chemical crap they call Mesc now.

Ah the damn kids nowadays, if they only knew. big_smile

mike, what about Houdini or Chris Angel or Copperfield???

There's a whole lot more than that really. You just aren't a believer so it takes them right out. Hehehe
To each his own beliefs anyways...

As for books and THE NECRONOMICON being bogus well if you believe that then every single written page in the Universe is too...

Del Toro did an Interview on Carson Daily and he showed him a book wrapped up in Metal and he said that it contained a Demon from 1236 and he said he was too chicken to open it. Wussy!!! Hahaha

There are still a lot of old MediEVIL Grimoires around and I truely believe in them.

As I said at first, I'm a USER. big_smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-08-09 21:37:45)

letschopcats666 wrote:

that book, im guessing Theli regards as bogus, was the Necronomicon..maybe because of its connection to Lovecrafts stories and the fact that it was introduced to the world after Lovecrafts death..many occultists regard it as fake...but others will tell you that its a very powerful grimoire....its true, some of the language in it doesnt add up...for instance, "Alzhared" The Mad Arab (the writer of the Necronomicon), doesnt follow arabic grammer...but even critics who consider the book a hoax, will still claim it is a powerful grimoire....

to theli, even if its a hoax...this is where chaos magick would come into play....because belief would be the main concept of its work....check out The Gates of the Necronomicon.....Simon has a great Foreword and "Prolegomena to a Study of Occultism"

I was not referring to the Necronomicon. In fact I never even considered it a hoax or a grimoire, just and interesting poetical tribute to Lovecraft. Something to add depth to an amazing mythos. You are right about Chaos Magick, I had forgotten about that aspect of it. I was actually more refering to many of the new age religions and wiccan beliefs that pop up. I knew a couple of Wiccans, nice people, but they honestly just struck me as incredibly misguided. They used a written language, that was literally english letters replaced with other symbols. I'm sorry that's not an ancient language, that's english. If they were writing in runes I might buy it. But as you said if you believe in the concepts of Chaos Magick, or even magick in general those symbols would be imbued with power, simply for the fact that they believe they are.

I dunno seems a little too easy to me. I prefer the life of devotion to the arts, like that of Abramelin or John Dee or the mysteries of the Voynich Manuscript. I like the mysticim and history, but I'm not a believer so what do I know. I just REALLY wish it were real. Something I should study more is eastern mysticism, some of those people achieve some truly amazing feats. That and I should actually read the kaballah.

Hey chopcats or Punk, ever hear of Therion? They are heavily into the occult, ancient religions and kaballistic magick. Great freaking music too!

Just to clarify -- The Necronomicon is not and was never a real spell book.  It was a fictional spell book created by H.P. Lovecraft in one of his stories from 1922 (15 years before his death, so people knew about it before he passed away).  He also created the character of the Mad Arab Abdul Alhazred.  But unlike most authors HPL didn't mind other writers appropriating his stuff for use in their own stories, which is why in the 60s, when HPL's work came into counter-culture vogue, a large number of writers began using it in their own stuff and each added on to the "mythos" of the book. 

Incidentally I own the "Simon" Necronomicon (b-day present from my big sis back in the mid-90s) -- and there was no such Simon person, either. wink

HPL most likely got his inspiration for the Necronomicon from having heard of the real-world legend regarding the Grand Grimoire, which was supposedly written in the 1500s and which allegedly contained spells on how to conjure demons and Satan himself.

<--- Knows shit. big_smile

Yup. All this is true. I also have a paperback copy.

Last edited by Theli (2013-08-10 01:08:39)

LoudLon wrote:

You're not the only one, I know that TOO. big_smile

And yeah Theli, Therion are great. Love their way of seeing things. Kinda like The Misfits, they're into occult and Horror a lot too. smile

20 eyes in my head, 20 eyes in my head, they're all the same...
How much more occult can you be than that. lol

LoudLon wrote:

Just to clarify -- The Necronomicon is not and was never a real spell book.  It was a fictional spell book created by H.P. Lovecraft in one of his stories from 1922 (15 years before his death, so people knew about it before he passed away).  He also created the character of the Mad Arab Abdul Alhazred.  But unlike most authors HPL didn't mind other writers appropriating his stuff for use in their own stories, which is why in the 60s, when HPL's work came into counter-culture vogue, a large number of writers began using it in their own stuff and each added on to the "mythos" of the book. 

Incidentally I own the "Simon" Necronomicon (b-day present from my big sis back in the mid-90s) -- and there was no such Simon person, either. wink

HPL most likely got his inspiration for the Necronomicon from having heard of the real-world legend regarding the Grand Grimoire, which was supposedly written in the 1500s and which allegedly contained spells on how to conjure demons and Satan himself.

anyone who has read into teh book knows that its a very controversial book....plenty people believe its the invention of HP Lovecraft...i was introduced to this book knowing that....the Necronomicon text doesnt stop there though.....The Book of Dead names sheds light on the real truth and its history....and The Gates of the Necronomicon also gives great insight into what it actually is....its more than just a legend or bedtime story....check out those other books....or dont....if you feel its a waste of your time...."mote it be"....

and the Necronomicon isnt exactly a spellbook...you cast a spell to get something you want....to hurt or help or accumulate...its more of an instruction manual to ascend to your full potential of a divine being....

the Grand Grimoire is also controversial....it supposedly contains rituals to create a pact with "satan"....it was in a final fantasy game too....

me myself....i dont believe in "Satan" as an actual being...if i remember correctly, satan at its root means adversary....any real occultist, also, does not look at satan as a being....satan is a concept....not to say theres not evil beings from the otherside or people who worship satan... but satan is the creation of judeo christian dogma....so when it comes to books talking about summoning satan...i look at it like you look at the necronomicon....

look into The Black Arts by Richard Cavendish....great book and introduction into the "work"...talks about everything from numerology, astrology, ceremonial magick, to the kabbahla, alchemy, and satanism....then again....only if youd like to know....

Theli wrote:
letschopcats666 wrote:

I was not referring to the Necronomicon. In fact I never even considered it a hoax or a grimoire, just and interesting poetical tribute to Lovecraft. Something to add depth to an amazing mythos. You are right about Chaos Magick, I had forgotten about that aspect of it. I was actually more refering to many of the new age religions and wiccan beliefs that pop up. I knew a couple of Wiccans, nice people, but they honestly just struck me as incredibly misguided. They used a written language, that was literally english letters replaced with other symbols. I'm sorry that's not an ancient language, that's english. If they were writing in runes I might buy it. But as you said if you believe in the concepts of Chaos Magick, or even magick in general those symbols would be imbued with power, simply for the fact that they believe they are.

I dunno seems a little too easy to me. I prefer the life of devotion to the arts, like that of Abramelin or John Dee or the mysteries of the Voynich Manuscript. I like the mysticim and history, but I'm not a believer so what do I know. I just REALLY wish it were real. Something I should study more is eastern mysticism, some of those people achieve some truly amazing feats. That and I should actually read the kaballah.

Hey chopcats or Punk, ever hear of Therion? They are heavily into the occult, ancient religions and kaballistic magick. Great freaking music too!

the name Therion rings bells, but i cant say ive heard then...i'll check them out!!! i love the concept of the kabbalha....its system is very similar to that of the necronomicon....pertaining to rising throug the spheres to become one with God...Crowley was also a fan....

and magick isnt real to those who dont believe its real....thats the rule, haha....

oh yeah....punk, you were talking about descending into the abyss.....to reach the final sphere to become one with god or the universe, you must cross the abyss....like how Jesus had to die, go to hell, and be resurrected to ascend to heaven....same story for the sumerian goddess inanna.....or ishtar......but these travels arent safe without the proper protection.....you need the correct sigil, passwords, and incantations to be safe....but yeah....the abyss is no joke...i myself have never astral projected...but every tradition involving the spheres involves the traversing of the abyss...

Who the H3LL is that Jesus you talk about??? Never heard of him...

It's pronounced "Hey-zoos," and he's my immigrant grounds-keeper. big_smile

Doens't he play with the Dodgers?

^^^
Oh I see...

LoudLon wrote:

It's pronounced "Hey-zoos," and he's my immigrant grounds-keeper. big_smile

Yeah now I know who he is.

I call him Jee Sucks. lol

I had a theory that Jesus was more likely the son of Satan than the son of God. Of course I don't believe any of them exist, but it a literary context it's a cool idea. Jesus has beliefs and temprament vastly different than anything in the old testament. Besides he seems like the coolest guy in the bible, at least to hang out with. Moses poured molten freaking gold down people's throats, Samson killed thousands of people, and Noah left thousands to die. Jesus would have been a total hippie burn-out if he were born these days.

Last edited by Theli (2013-08-10 19:19:02)