Topic: Ben Affleck is the new Batman

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni56087514/

Yep, that's correct.

I could see him being a good Batman actually, he's done some very good work recently so I have faith in him.

Share your views here.

Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman

I just read that story like 5 minutes ago.
Interesting to see batman and superman together.

Sorry, Christian Bale is the only Batman to me.

I think Bale was the better Bruce Wayne but I don't think anyone's topped Michael Keaton as Batman himself.

As for Affleck, he gets a bum rap but I've always thought he was underrated as an actor.  He didn't always pick the best movies to be in but he at least made the effort to be good in them.  I can totally see him as Batman/Bruce Wayne.  And he's a big guy, too; at 6'3, he'd be the tallest and most physically imposing guy ever to play Batman.

I also think DC needs to get a move on in the film department. It seems like the only highly successful films to come from them were Nolan's Batman trilogy, more specifically The Dark Knight (which is a great film, no doubt). And Man of Steel didn't do to well critic wise with a 56 on Rotten Tomatoes and I didn't like Superman's morals in the movie because he destroyed all of Metropolis and presumbaly killed tons of people. I try to give DC's other properties a chance but they just fall flat and I think Marvel always takes the cake in the film department because of their diversity of superheroes.

The problem with DC is that they only have a very small handful of characters who don't come off as completely campy.  Batman and Superman are about the only genuinely movie-quality characters they have; Bats because he's psychologically complex, and Supes because he's like a god on earth.  Green Lantern is hard to translate to film because for one, he has a silly name and secondly, because, as we saw from the GL movie, he's basically a cardboard cutout as a human being.  Wonder Woman is as one-note as it gets, and no one has ever even bothered trying to give her any depth. 

And here they're talking about ultimately forming a Justice League movie.  But that's going to backfire, because it'll just seem like they're trying to one-up The Avengers.  Warner Bros is turning into Fox when it comes to their comic character properties, just dropping the ball all over the place.

As far as Man of Steel goes, I was thoroughly unimpressed with Henry Cavill as Supes.  The script was a stinker and Snyder's normally exciting visual style just felt oppressive.  I consider that film a HUGE misfire.  But at least they're bringing in an actor who can actually act and bring a character to life and give it dimension.  If Affleck's isn't the best Batman ever put to film, it will only be because the script let him down.  But I still don't hold high hopes for the movie with Cavill still playing Supes.

Oh, well.  We'll see, I guess.

NOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH What have you done DC. Just when I thought you got your act straight.

This is going to blow up on DC's face. This Gorge Clooney bad imo.

What is wrong with Warner Bros. No one can be this stupid. I'm done with DC movies. Thanks alot Warner Bros

Might as well go get Sandra Bullic to play Wonder Woman.

Last edited by mike3881 (2013-08-22 22:03:20)

Didn't he already do a superhero film of some sort?

He did Daredevil in '02.  That film failed miserably based on its story and Mark Steven Johnson's typically uninspired direction.  But I thought Affleck did the best he could with what he had in the role.

I think he'll surprise the haters.  I've been following the news on comicbookmovies.com and trust me, there is a LOT of hatin' going on there right now.

Because no will see Bruce Wayne we will see Ben Affleck. He's a too well known actor.

I hope we get to see more of Batman's rogues gallery appear in future Batman movies. If anything I've always found Batman's rogues gallery to be much more interesting than Batman himself and I wish Chris Nolan didn't reuse those from the Burton/Schumacher movies because as much as I liked his interpretation of The Joker, Two-Face, Catwoman, and Bane his rogues gallery is far much expanded and this also gives the chance to bring Batman's supernatural villains and ditch the whole

Affleck's managed to shed all his notoriety by having become a hugely talented and accomplished director over the last several years.  He'll be the best thing about the flick.  Wait and see.

No he didn't this is going be a very bad idea. Not as bad as when they almost made a superman movie staring Nick Cage but bad none the less.

Everyone I know is upset by this. What wete they thinking.

They were thinking, "Okay, we went with the 'unknown actor' route for Man of Steel and that was a debacle, so let's get someone with a great deal of experience in front of the camera, someone who is able to bring a character to life, someone who is physically imposing and someone who people will believe is a troubled multi-millionaire."

It was a good choice.  All the hating in the world isn't going to make them change their minds about Affleck so, like I said.  Wait and see. wink

Really where the H3LL are these Hollywood crazies up to, seriously. Next thing we're gonna hear is Jackie Chan or Eddy Murphy playing Spider-Man. Come on, get real people.

Can't beileve this. SIGH...

I like Affleck but I really DON'T SEE HIM AS BATMAN AT ALL!!!

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-08-22 22:55:30)

LoudLon wrote:

They were thinking, "Okay, we went with the 'unknown actor' route for Man of Steel and that was a debacle, so let's get someone with a great deal of experience in front of the camera, someone who is able to bring a character to life, someone who is physically imposing and someone who people will believe is a troubled multi-millionaire."

It was a good choice.  All the hating in the world isn't going to make them change their minds about Affleck so, like I said.  Wait and see. wink

If that's what they wanted then they should of stuck with what worked which is bale. I'm not a affleck hater I just know a bad idea when I see it.

Add me to the list of other haters of this horribly stupid pick.  Yes, lets bring in Clooney, O'Donnell, Schwarzenegger and Carrey just to top it off.  Lets make it really ridiculous and light.  I normally don't get too worked up on this stuff, but this one bites. 

Yes, Mike, Sandra Bullock is a great choice for Wonderwoman.

Bale had his run and opted to not be involved in future films featuring the character.  His prerogative.  But in all honesty, it wasn't so much his performance which was memorable in the Nolan Bat flicks as it was the actual writing.  Bale's a great actor, but that character and all his intricacies were right there on the page, and all Bale had to do was recite the lines.  That's not a knock -- like I said, Bale is a great actor -- but was his performance in the Nolan flicks really all that memorable, in and of itself?  Could not another skilled actor have performed the part just as effectively?  I think so, and Affleck is just as skilled an actor, PLUS he's an award-winning writer and director.  Love it or hate it, the casting makes sense.  Name me one actor (besides Hugh Jackman, who I think has always been miscast as Wolverine but I think would make a great Batman) who makes more sense.  SPOILER ALERT: you can't. 

Mark my words.  Affleck will be the best thing about the movie.

I think we've gone through too many live action adaptions of Batman. We've had Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christian Bale, now it's Ben Affleck. It's like the role of Batman has become James Bond, it's like it's never ending. The roster of Batman actors keeps growing and I never thought Batman would reach James Bond esque casting. Seriously, they go through more Batman actors then I go through socks. Atleast for the Hulk they didn't go through a shit ton of actors and only 3 people took on the role of him but Batman has went through a handful of actors.

Last edited by Tripod (2013-08-23 00:42:58)

Yeah, to be honest, I'm tired of Batman and Superman both.  DC's flagship characters might be awfully campy, but they do have several B and C-listers who could make for interesting movies.  Personally I'd love a Martian Manhunter flick.  And the tv show Arrow is going to be having some cool characters showing up next season, such as Bronze Tiger, for instance.  A Blue Beetle movie could be cool.  Or Nightwing.  The Flash.  Azrael...

All are highly improbable but hey, a guy can dream.

Dumbest possible thing they could have done.

I see me and Lon are the only ones who actually like the choice. I echo what Lon said in his post, but I believe he could do well in the role.

And there's another rumor now floating around that Affleck is going to direct the next Batman movie. I wouldn't mind that either.

I hope he does that instead of acting in it.

I don't see a problem with Affleck.
He's gonna wear a mask anyway tongue And his acting isn't bad.

I hope everyone remembers that when Heath Ledger was revealed to be the Joker everyone was saying the same stuff about him too. About how bad he will be as the Joker, and the worst one to date, yada yada yada.

Yet some, or even most, people claim him to be the best Joker to date.

Just remember that.