Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

I hope everyone remembers that when Heath Ledger was revealed to be the Joker everyone was saying the same stuff about him too. About how bad he will be as the Joker, and the worst one to date, yada yada yada.

Yet some, or even most, people claim him to be the best Joker to date.

Just remember that.

I agree - HOWEVER; a of of those people had never watched Heath Ledgers earlier and darker work... I've been a HUGE fan of Ben Affleck for years. And although I love all of his work (yea, i was a teen when armageddon came out) I'm not sure if he can break out of the shell he has built for himself.
Type casting aside; Heath Ledger had that smile. that smile was perfect for the joker and I was so happy when i heard about that casting.
But even loving ben like i do - im not only interested to see what he can bring to the table, but curious why he was chosen in the first place.

Tripod wrote:

I also think DC needs to get a move on in the film department. It seems like the only highly successful films to come from them were Nolan's Batman trilogy, more specifically The Dark Knight (which is a great film, no doubt). And Man of Steel didn't do to well critic wise with a 56 on Rotten Tomatoes and I didn't like Superman's morals in the movie because he destroyed all of Metropolis and presumbaly killed tons of people. I try to give DC's other properties a chance but they just fall flat and I think Marvel always takes the cake in the film department because of their diversity of superheroes.

I agree on the morals aspect... the whole appeal and contrast between batman and superman was that batman was the dark, the vengeance - and superman was light, he was a protector.
i know they're trying to find a way to blend them together in a movie so they tried to make superman a little darker (if this movie goes well they're going for a justice league flick next) ... but they need to remember they shouldnt CHANGE superman.
Superman doesnt kill. ever. the end of man of steel had me walking out of the theatre in disgust. i dont know who that man in the cape was - but that was not superman.

Scav -- True.  Hell, I remember when folks made a huge stink when it was revealed that Tim Burton had cast Michael Keaton as Batman ("Mr. Mom is Batman???" was a phrase uttered frequently by fanboys back in the pre-internet days).  And then there were the dopes who cried foul when Brandon Lee was cast as The Crow.  "The Crow's not Asian" or "Lee can't act," etc.

And let's not forget the backlash when it was announced that Chris Evans would be playing Captain America, and I recall a number of fans rumbling about RDJ being cast as Tony Stark.   But in each and every instance, the actors nailed the characters better than anyone could ever have hoped.

Bat-fans are just still a little touchy and overprotective in regards to Bale, what with his last outing as the character having been a disappointment, and probably wish he'd had one more go at the cowl to make up for it.  But it's not meant to be.  Someone had to take over the character once Bale backed out, and WB could have done a WHOLE lot worse than Affleck who, I assure you, will be just as memorable in the role as Keaton and Bale were.

LuLu -- firstly, cool avatar.  Reedus owns!  Secondly, I agree.  That wasn't Superman in MoS.   David Goyer royally fucked up the "re-imagined" origin and Caville, while he certainly looked the part, lacked any kind of presence in the role.  The simple fact is that anyone who takes on the role has to live up to Christopher Reeve's depiction, which is the most full and complete filmic rendition of the character to date.  He left some VERY large shoes to fill, and Caville didn't even come close.  Hell, Brandon Routh at least tried to evoke Reeve's performance in his own.  Caville played him like a humorless slab of pavement with all the charisma of a dead fish.

I really can't see Affleck doing a bad job as Batman.  There will obviously be comparisons drawn to Bale's Batman...but a bit like Lon said...I didn't find Christian Bale to shine all that much in the role, besides maybe in Batman Begins.

I also agree with Lon that Affleck will be the best thing about this movie.  It's up to you to decide what that means for the Movie as a whole.  I can't see it being all that great overall.

I just don't hope Ben falls into the same realm as Ryan Reynolds. Reynold's has been in Blade, Green Lantern, and Wolverine and those movies were mediocre at best. I do think Ben is a talented guy acting and directing wise but I hope he doesn't fall in the Ryan Reynolds route taking numerous superhero roles that become a flop.

we're going to have to see....Ben can deliver the goods....but in the end, it depends on the script and the story.  That's where I personally think the idea of a justice league movie fails...

Despite my immediate reaction being bad, the more I think of it, the more I like it.  Affleck was great in The Town, Argo, and Hollywoodland. He is just a few years older than Bale, so I dont think he's as "mature" as they made it sound like they wanted but thats ok.  I think he'll be a great Bruce Wayne and thats the important part.  Batman is just a man in a costume with awesome gadgets.  Its not about how buff he is or being the biggest dog in the fight, just has to be the smartest with the best stuff. Bruce Wayne is where all the depth is and I think he's going to do a good job in that role. 

However, I do wish DC would make better choice with their movie department.  Marvel built a great empire with characters that should have never played well on the big screen (I mean Thor, Iron Man, come on) and DC has some great properties they could get going if they play their cards right. They just have to stop thinking with their wallets and get some of their dark, in depth characters going with solid story driven films

Oh and lets not forget Phantoms

http://youtu.be/jw3jMPjAcwg

LoudLon wrote:

Bat-fans are just still a little touchy and overprotective in regards to Bale, what with his last outing as the character having been a disappointment, and probably wish he'd had one more go at the cowl to make up for it.

This was interesting to me Lon.  Were there a lot of fans that were not happy with Bale in the last Batman?  All I read / heard were glowing reviews about how great the movie was.  I thought it was horrible and had a hard time finishing it.  Thought I was alone.  Though, I wouldn't say it was Bale's fault.  Other things were issues for me.

JMH - I think you should trust your initial reaction, cuz I think that will be right when this sucks.  Just my opinion though.  smile

Well, I frequent comicbookmovies.com and I'd say the reactions after TDKR came out were roughly 50% found it disappointing, 40% loved it and 10% thought it was "enh."  Though of that 40%, I would wager a good half were blindly obediant Batman fanboys simply defending it out of loyalty.  It doesn't take a master filmmaker to see there were HUGE problems with the story and that even Bale seemed to be wholly disinterested in the film being made around him.

That was my observation of fan reactions, anyway.

Ghostseeker wrote:

JMH - I think you should trust your initial reaction, cuz I think that will be right when this sucks.  Just my opinion though.  smile

I just dont get all the backlash.  Ok so he's a bigger name, whats so bad about him?  My initial reaction was because he's not what I was expecting.  I was hoping they'd go a little older actually.  But again, based on sample of recent work, I think he's got a lot of potential as Bruce Wayne.  Bale was a terrible Batman but pretty good Bruce Wayne, so thats all it will take to get fans on board

Remember when people hated the Ledger/Joker casting?  Remember when people thought Ryan Reynolds was a good fit for Green Lantern?  Remember when people were upset Norton was out and Ruffalo was in as Hulk?   None of it matters, it all boils down to content and I think Affleck will have enough to work with to be a better Wayne/Batman than Clooney or Kilmer.

So much hate for Ben, it's not fair.

The guy is golden. He's awesome. I think he'll do great things for Bats.

And to be "that guy", Christian Bale was portraying Dark Knight Batman, and not Batman, Batman. I'm assuming Ben will be more Batman than DK.

Plus, Bales Wayne was great, but his Batman was awful... and I love the guy.

In my books, the best Bruce Wayne was Clooney. Best Batman was Keaton.

Ben is a great actor and has all the tools to pull off being the Dark Knight. Nuff said!

Affleck, you the *bomb* in Phantoms yo!

So now that Batmans been cast, who do you guys want for Lex Luthor? I want Terry O'Quinn for the role of Lex. He has the bald hair, has the businessman/billionare look, and he has the acting chops. He's fantastic in Lost and would be a fantastic Lex Luthor.

I want Trejo.
H3LL if Affleck plays Batman, why not him??? big_smile

I'm sick of Luthor.  Wish they'd do other superman villains.  With batman being involved i'd like to see Doomsday or Darkseid

I'd love to see Clayface as the next villain in future Batman movies too. I can just imagine Superman and Batman fighting a giant Clayface and his clay remains all over Gotham. Batman has alot of villains and I don't wanna see a rehash of previous ones.

I'd like to see Scarecrow given his full due as a lead villain, rather than being relegated to a lackey for Joker or Bane as he was in the last two Bat flicks.  In the comics he's one of Bats' all-time most formidable opponents.  For Superman, I think they should bring in Parasite.  That's your movie right there: Bats and Supes vs Scarecrow and Parasite.

If it's not Darkseid it had better be for a Justice League movie.

LoudLon wrote:

LuLu -- firstly, cool avatar.  Reedus owns!  Secondly, I agree.  That wasn't Superman in MoS.   David Goyer royally fucked up the "re-imagined" origin and Caville, while he certainly looked the part, lacked any kind of presence in the role.  The simple fact is that anyone who takes on the role has to live up to Christopher Reeve's depiction, which is the most full and complete filmic rendition of the character to date.  He left some VERY large shoes to fill, and Caville didn't even come close.  Hell, Brandon Routh at least tried to evoke Reeve's performance in his own.  Caville played him like a humorless slab of pavement with all the charisma of a dead fish.

i couldnt have said it better myself, Lon!
I think there's always going to be some sort of controversy when casting actors in roles - but we all need to bite our tonues until after it is done i guess. because sometimes people surprise you.

case in point:
The Internets Reaction to Heath Ledger being cast  as the Joker
http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/5/22/th … e-jok.html