Topic: World War Z fails to deliver

Just watched World War Z and it left me wondering what the $190 million dollars was spent on.

Much of it was CGI, and a dreary story about a family man (Pitt) stumbling across an anti virus that wasn't really an anti virus.

Sorry, but I laughed at the girl having her hand chopped off, who then after losing about two pints of blood managed to  run about half a mile or more to catch a plane.

If that wasn't bad enough, the plane crash was ridiculously comical. Funny how Pitt and the chick with one hand escaped without a scratch.  Everyone else died. Yeah, right... Sorry excuse me, I forgot, Pitt had a 16 inch long chunk of metal through his stomach .

Again, he and the girl walked yet more miles into the village. Laughable. And after that they were back fighting zombies in the lab seemingly a day later.

Even in horror there has to be a certain amount of plausibility. Look at Dawn of the Dead and Land of the Dead. Horror yes, but it wasn't absurdly ridiculous as this WWZ is. You could see the events in those two other classic movies happening.

WWZ had so much potential, all down the drain. And Brad Pitt, sorry the guy cannot act for toffee. He sleepwalks through this entire movie.

Re: World War Z fails to deliver

I'd heard a lot of negative stuff before seeing it, but after taking it in, I surprisingly put it on my "thubs up and recommended" list.

^^^
I haven't seen this movie yet, but now I really want to. I've heard so many mixed things about it.

If you take it for what it is -- basically a big budget disaster movie -- it's really not all that bad.  I didn't like it at first because there's no gore and a whole lot of CGI, but after a couple views it grew on me.

LoudLon wrote:

If you take it for what it is -- basically a big budget disaster movie -- it's really not all that bad.  I didn't like it at first because there's no gore and a whole lot of CGI, but after a couple views it grew on me.

same here. I have re-watched it a couple of times and it is growing on me

I couldn't agree more with you Master Horror.

I didn't care for it much myself and im a Brad Pitt fan. My biggest issue was there was no build up and no real ending. I dont even think 10 minutes had passed before zombies overtake the city. As far as the ending I was not expecting it to just end at the point it did, it was kinda abrupt with no real conclusion...

I really hated how they used a hive mind angle for the zombies, the way they mobbed and climbed just seemed way to intelligent for a zombie. Not to mention the running zombies..... I think zombies need a union or something because Hollywood has been pumping them full of crack or steroids, as of late.(yes, i know they were mostly CGI)

^^^
Hahaha Damn yeah man, that's why I don't want to see it at all. Please...

*******  ALL SPOILERS *************

@DeToxed- You're talking about the 'pillar climbing' scene, yes?

Man, that was the dumbest thing I've seen in years, maybe decades.  Did you think of 'Starship Troopers' at that point?  (And at least 'ST' had Micheal Ironside in it.)

Not seen this or the mock buster Apocalypse Z

azathoth wrote:

*******  ALL SPOILERS *************

@DeToxed- You're talking about the 'pillar climbing' scene, yes?

Man, that was the dumbest thing I've seen in years, maybe decades.  Did you think of 'Starship Troopers' at that point?  (And at least 'ST' had Micheal Ironside in it.)

You know even the starship troopers mounding scene made more sense than the zombies in WWZ. Maybe on a few more viewings i might accept this for a Ok zombie movie, but i still have a lot of fanboy hate because it completely ignored the source material...minus the cool title smile

Last edited by desensitized (2014-04-16 21:44:45)

@Bassi- is Apocalypse Z an Asylum ripoff?  Man, that would be HMCAMN (Horror-Movies.CA Movie Night) worthy!

I read WWZ back in '05 or '06 (present from my sis), and I thought it would make a tremendous movie.  And then, of course, Hollywood f's it all up.  Reminds me of how they wanked Creighton's Sphere.

Seriously, will someone in Hollywood hire Ace or Lon to direct and/or for a script?!?!  Ace could be the next Raimi and Lon writes some awesome prose.  And yet we have Uwe Boll and Tom Six.  Errg!

^^^
Here's what he has to say and I'm right with him. lol

http://www.straight.com/files/styles/popup/public/files/images/wide/uweboll_10,12,30.jpg

But I agree that AceofSpades and LoudLon would make better stuff than a bunch of Hollywood ones. Uwe EXCLUDED cause I dig his stuff. tongue

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-04-17 08:01:20)

azathoth wrote:

@Bassi- is Apocalypse Z an Asylum ripoff?  Man, that would be HMCAMN (Horror-Movies.CA Movie Night) worthy!
!

it's not one of there,  I thought it was mockbuster wen  i saw DVD cover in the shop, but the movie is also know as  Zombie Massacre

Having read the book and seen the pic, it feels like they borrowed the title and a couple of mentioned sequences and went all 28 days on it. ( Not a zombiepic per say. Don't throw rocks Lon)  It isn't a bad movie but it definitely isn't WWZ. The scene at the end is pretty creepy ( Pepsi product placement aside.) I heard that there is an extended/director's cut that has a bunch of other stuff in it that makes it  much better.

^^^
may keep my eyes open for a directors cut, but honestly the only thing i recall being similar from the book is Israel but.... the wall actually worked. I could possibly like the directors cut better but something about this movie just rubbed me the wrong way. Kind of sad seeing as i love zombies and I generally like Brad Pitt's career.