Topic: What movies are better than the book?

or comic, or whatever the source material? The conversation on the Shining in The Last Horror Movie thread got me thinking. What are some films or T.V shows that are better than their original source material. The Shining for me comes in about even, and I would say the same about The Exorcist.

Last edited by Theli (2013-09-08 22:55:42)

Re: What movies are better than the book?

No one is going to say it but I will Batman !!!!!!!!!. I said it I find the batman comics boring as f*ck for the most part. Sure you have a good story arc from time to time but for the most part I find the entire comic series boring.

I actually enjoyed Carpenter's Christine over King's novel quite a bit.
Dunno why, but I just didn't exactly jive with the book. The film, however, has long been a favorite of mine.

You can't really judge the whole Batman series, nearly 75 years worth of upps and downs, too 3 movies from the past 8 years. None of the movies are based on a specific source material (though some are inspired by some specific comics). Maybe compare Batman Begins to Year One by Frank Miller, and it's pretty close, both are excellent. If you compare Dark Knight Rises to the Doug Moench Bane story, I think it trumps the comic by quite a bit. though Bane is an interesting character Moench is a mediocre writer IMO. I think Lon liked a particular comic series of his, but I can't recall it's name. I have no idea what the inspiration for The Dark Knight was.

Last edited by Theli (2013-09-08 22:56:28)

Re-Animator.
It's not a great short story.  Gordon & Yuzna really hit a homerun in their film (bonus fun- Charles Band was a producer on it!)

Yeah re-animator is a good one too. The short story is good, but the film is excellent.

"Total Recall" - the 1980 one , loosely based on the Phillip K Dick sci-fi short story. I enjoyed the movie way more than the short story.

The 1979 "Salem's Lot" - wouldn't say it's better than the book , it made some changes from the book but the changes were very effective - the silent barlow vampire was way scarier on screen than what it was described in the novel .

I found John Carpenter "Vampire$" to be better than the Steakley novel which i had read ages before the movie.

Don't quite agree with the bleak and ironic dark humor ending of "The Mist" but i loved the movie almost as much as the novella. In the novel , you only have your imagination to go with the words but in the movie , it got whatever nightmarish creatures written in the novel down with the visuals so it's great.

Loved "Fluke" as a movie just as much as i loved the James Herbert novel.

I would say Stand By Me one of my all time favorite movies. The short story The Body I never really cared for it

Not horror, but Jurassic Park. I like the movie, but the book has some really boring parts.

Yeah I read the Re-animator short after seeing the movie. I enjoyed both but much prefered the movie. Hard to think of other examples right now hmm

I'll toss you From Beyond, too.  It's a nice concept, but unlike most of his work, it's a short story that doesn't get involved enough (and basically quits before the 2nd part of the rising action in the film even starts).

Back in 1920, that was probably some scary shinizzle.  But then we have S&M Barbara, so...  big_smile

IT. Pennywise is much scarier than what I had in my head when I read it. FAR MORE!!!

The Shining (1980)

Better than the book, I don't care what anyone says!

big_smile

^^^
I agree totally. smile

Another King one that's better is The Mist.

Frankly, and this will piss off most purists, I'd say most of them.  At any rate, I'm one of those lowbrows who answers such questions with BUT I'M NOT READING A BOOK!  I'M WATCHING A MOVIE GOD DAMN IT!!!!!!