Re: Halloween challenge

I don't normally participate in these types of challenges -- mostly because I already watch a horror movie every day lol -- but I figure what the heck.  I'll keep track for a month. tongue

October 1st (Day 1) - Lords of Salem, Silver Bullet

Day 2: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920). I have watched this film a couple times before, but this is my first time watching Kino's release, featuring tinted film cells. I really do love this movie, John Barrymore is one of the all time greats, especially for silent cinema. His face and body actions are very emotive, but slightly less exaggerated as Chaney or Veidt. Some particularly amazing scenes is the first transformation, and one near the end where Jekyll sleeps in bed and a phantasmal arachnoid version of Hyde crawls onto his bed and seeps into his body, truly chilling. The violence really culminates at the end of this movie, with a scene of Hyde stomping on a young boy (the opening to the book) and him bludgeoning his friend/fiancee's father too death. It's a great story that will last through the ages, focusing on man's duality, and in the perhaps equally excellent 1931 version, on repressed sexuality.

October 2nd (Day 2) - Stephen King's Cat's Eye (1985)

Mikey (1992) (Thanks to youtube again)

This movie is still banned in the UK, due to James thing back in 1993

This movie gets going from very first second of the movie, I found the start of the movie very chilling and a bit disturbing (That pool scenes was so hard to watch) This evil 9 year boy kills all of his adoted family in first 3 mintues of the movie.

The movie calm down a little and as dose Mikey, when he again adoted by another family and first he acts calm and start to act angle to everyone.

As the movie goes, he dose get bit more silly and he lose the tense feeling it had at the start of the movie and soon as he dose get his way, he start act evil again.

Some of the attacks were a be strange, exaple (Small spoiler) Such as baby sister getting attcked by the Hammer, she dose not try to take it off him but runs away screaming, anyone with a brain would have knocked the kid down, got the Hammer off him but no, she runs around screaming from 9 year old lol.

I loved the start of the movie, very chlling and shocking at the same time but the rest didn't feel keep that factor.

rest of the movie decent watch and I enjoyed the last part of the movie, there.

6 out of 10

October 3rd (Day 3) - Dawn of the Dead '78

Day 3: I Spit On Your Grave (2010); This was a pretty good remake. Like the Last House On the Left remake it downplays the rape scenes and focuses more on the revenge, which for me makes it a more watchable movie, in the case of Last House on the Left I preferred the original, but for I Spit on Your Grave I think I like the remake more. The ironic kills and one liners were sorta silly, but I didn't hate them.

House of Dracula: This was a fun flick, nothing to serious. It's fun to see alot of the univeral horror monsters together in one flick. The ending is especially satisfying. Frankenstein's monster still gets the shit end of the stick.

^^^
It's the exact same for me, I prefer the remake.

And man, that strapped dude on the tree with hooks and Crows eating the jelly she's put is insane.

OH AND THE GUN FUCK TOO!!! Best scene ever... big_smile

Yup fun stuff.

Day 4: The Burning; This movie is a hell of a lot of fun. It starts out with some quick deaths/mutialtions then slows down and introduces the characters. Finally once we've grown to love/hate them it's time for Cropsy to kill. Some really cool kills, and some really over the top silly scenes and hilariously bad editing. Over all a much more enjoyable version of Friday the 13th.

Day of the Dead; It's tough for me to say which of Romero's flicks is my favourite, it might be Night of the Living Dead, but damn does this movie give it a run for it's money. I've watched this movie tons of times, and despite being rather slow, never bores me a bit. The tension in the film is palpable, even without much zombie action. It has a really claustrophobic feel too. The finale is bar none of the best in horror.

Day 5: ABCs of Death; this was a fun movie. Not all of the shorts were good, some were great, some sucked, some funny, some disturbing, but overall a great compilation. It's a unique oddity. I loved Hydro-Electric Diffusion, a hilarious tribute to Tex Avery. XXL was quite disturbing, as were Libido and Young Buck (though less so). The Japanese ones are really freaking hilarious too.

October 4th (Day 4) -- Silver Bullet, again.  This time because my 4-year-old-niece insisted.  Who'da thunk it?  The kid likes horror flicks.

^^^
She's got a great companion to make her discover Horror flicks lemme tell you. Lucky kid, I wish I had an uncle like you when I was a kid. big_smile

What gets me is that she's always pestering me to watch Silver Bullet, Cat's Eye or "the one where the girl pull his mask off an he put it back on" (the original Halloween).  Not that I have a problem with any of them -- Especially Halloween, which is a constant runner-up to the original Dawn of the Dead as my favorite horror film -- but the kid's burning me out on 'em, man.  In the two weeks she's been here, we've watched all three of those films about six or seven times apiece; granted she usually asks me to skip to the end of them where all the action is, but still...burn out, man! lol

^^^
Hahaha extremely cool. I wish I could see my niece more often, in fact I'm going in 2 weeks, she's gonna be 3 years old. ALREADY??? Damn time flies by so fast it's nuts.

Oh Lon, Lon, Lon.  Everyone should have your problem.

Y'think so, huh?  Well there's a flip-side to every coin, and this particular coin's flip-side is that my niece is aggressively dictative, prone to temper tantrums that last hours and her mouth is always going, non-stop.  That's not an exaggeration; her mouth is literally going all...the...time. 

Love her, yes I do.  When she's being good, she's a doll.  But when she's being bad -- which is the majority of the time -- yeesh.  Katie bar the friggin' door, man. lol

^^^
I personaly LOVE BAD GIRLS!!! lol
Wait til' she a teen, she'll make you freak. TOTALLY!!! Hahaha

Not looking forward to it, dude.  If she's this ornery at four years old, I can't imagine how god-awful she's going to be as a teenager. lol

October 5th (Day 5) -- The Fog (1979)

^^^
Hahaha damn right. big_smile

Fog is a marvellous film. The atmosphere is really creepy.

ROFLMAO  I'm not laughing at you but with you, I swear

Why do I not believe you? tongue

October 6th (Day 6) -- Fright Night.  The one from '85, of course; not the crummy, uninspired, overly CGI remake.

LoudLon wrote:

Why do I not believe you? tongue

October 6th (Day 6) -- Fright Night.  The one from '85, of course; not the crummy, uninspired, overly CGI remake.

I agree that the remake is not as good as the original. But it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I intentionally steered clear of it because of Farrel, but ended up watching it one night. Thought it was alright.

Day 6: The Devil Rides Out; I love this movie. This flick and the Wickerman are two of the best occult horror films I've seen. I wish there were more movies like this. The story is original and interesting, and is well written and researched. Christopher Lee is top notch as usual.

October 7th (Day 7) - Halloween IV: The Return of Michael Myers

I do full reviews tomorow

Day 13

American Psycho 2  (2002) 

Well it's wasn't as great as the first movie but it's wasn't all that bad, I enjoyed some parts of the movie.

Day 14
Skew (2012)

I could not get into this movie at all, I found it so boring, that fell sleep around about the half hour mark, I saw this late afternoon!

Day 15   
Cargo (2013)

7 min short movie, which was really good and really effect,  even it's just 7 mins

it's well short, it was well acted and the plot really moving and Make up effect for zombie was reallly good.

I have  missed day 16 and I not seen anything today, I am beat!

Last edited by BASSI (2013-10-07 17:01:56)

October 8th (Day 8) -  they may not be horror "movies" but I watched three episodes of True Blood, season 4.

^^^
Oh that's cool. Season 5 is freaking awesome really.
If you made it to season 4, you'll like it I'm sure. smile