Re: Halloween challenge

Day 21: The Lords of Salem; i didn't know what to expect with this flick, but I was not disappointed. It's not your typical Zombie slaughter house, but does use his creepy surreal set pieces learnt from his time with Peewee Herman. Very trippy tribute to 70's occult flicks. I loved it.

October 21st (Day 21) - Prom Night (1980)

Both great ones dudes.

Theli, I love the reference to PeeWee Herman!!! Definitely got something that reminds us of this. big_smile

Gotta rewatch The Big Adventure, been way too long I haven't watched this.

Last time I did, I was on Black Widow LSD, yeah THAT long. lol

Day 22: The Tomb of Ligeia; This was the only one of Corman's Poe films I hadn't seen, luckily I was able to PVR it off TCM. I loved it, like all the other Poe adaptations Roger Corman did, it's not 100% true to the story, but he always gets the feel right. Vincent Price is top notch as usual. Great set designs and a creepy atmosphere. I wish Corman would slip back into the director's chair one more time, for a last horror movie. His work from the lat 50's (I love Bucket of Blood) to the mid 60's or so is top notch.

October 22nd (Day 22) - John Russo's "Heartstopper" (aka Dark Cravings, 1990).  Been looking for this one for a while and stumbled across it a couple nights ago.  Stars Tom Savini as a detective on the trail of a suave vampire.  Like most of Russo's stuff it's a lot more miss than hit, but Savini delivers some strong, dramatic character work.  Most of his props may be for his FX artistry but he's every bit as good an actor, I think, when given the proper material.

Haven't even heard of it. Did Russo direct it or write it? Normally Savini's screen time is reduced to mere moments before his death.

Russo wrote and directed, adapting from his own novel.  I first learned of it back in '97 or so, after reading Savini's make FX book Grande Illusions 2, where he covers his work on it.  Sixteen years I've been looking, and have only just now found it.

About Savini -- have you seen the Romero flick Knightriders?  Savini's a lead character in that one and he's really good in it.

Interesting, no I haven't seen Knightriders either. I'll have to look into them, is Heartstopper out on DVD?

Yarp.

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Craving-Kevi … B0001Z3HVI

Ignore the editorial review, which is for a completely different film. lol

LoudLon wrote:

Yarp.

Hilarious.

Day 23: Land of the Dead; Saw this one on TV and it started just before midnight so I figure what the hell, it'd been a while since I had seen it. Overall it is an enjoyable film. It uses practical FX for the close up gross out scenes (which are awesome and many), but uses CG to enhance large scale scenes or smaller touch ups. This is a perfect example of CG working well in horror. Like all other Romero zombie movies this one has a political backbone, this one is mostly a commentary on class hiearchy. While this theme is prominent, it isn't overpowering like Diary of the Dead's focus on the media, though Diary is still a good movie in it's own right. Dennis Hopper plays a great rich buffoon, but the whole cast is top notch. The aforementioned Tom Savini even shows up as a zombie for a short scene. I like how this movie stacks up now compared to other modern zombie mythos. The barricaded city, with the citadel in the middle, even Dead Reckoning as the armored zombie destroyer, evolving zombies, it's a unique distant future you don't see very often. I think I liked this movie even more on this watch, great zombie flick, it's on par with Romero's previous movies.

Last edited by Theli (2013-10-23 01:52:54)

October 23rd (Day 23) - Halloween 6 - The Curse of Michael Myers

Day 24: Chillerama; This is a pretty hilarious movie that is more comedy than horror, but is still catering to the horror fan. It is a anthology with three and half segments and overarching story involving sex zombies. It really excels at what it's trying to accomplish, which is a silly and funny ode to horror films (and film in general). It really achieves a lot with a relatively low budget, including some decent actors.

The Wickerman; I love this movie, it's evergreen for me. The story, the acting, the cinematography, the music, everything about this movie is great. It doesn't really feel like a horror movie, but the May Day sequence at the end is beautiful, surreal and terrifying all at the same time. You can just tell Christopher Lee is loving playing his role in this film. There is nothing that could improve this, I wish there were more films like this.

Theli wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

Yarp.

Hilarious.

Day 23: Land of the Dead; Saw this one on TV and it started just before midnight so I figure what the hell, it'd been a while since I had seen it. Overall it is an enjoyable film. It uses practical FX for the close up gross out scenes (which are awesome and many), but uses CG to enhance large scale scenes or smaller touch ups. This is a perfect example of CG working well in horror. Like all other Romero zombie movies this one has a political backbone, this one is mostly a commentary on class hiearchy. While this theme is prominent, it isn't overpowering like Diary of the Dead's focus on the media, though Diary is still a good movie in it's own right. Dennis Hopper plays a great rich buffoon, but the whole cast is top notch. The aforementioned Tom Savini even shows up as a zombie for a short scene. I like how this movie stacks up now compared to other modern zombie mythos. The barricaded city, with the citadel in the middle, even Dead Reckoning as the armored zombie destroyer, evolving zombies, it's a unique distant future you don't see very often. I think I liked this movie even more on this watch, great zombie flick, it's on par with Romero's previous movies.

Totally agree, Theli. I've always loved Land of the Dead.

Forgot to post this last night...

October 24th (Day 24) - Blood Cult (1985)  Thought I'd seen this before but was mistaken.  An early shot-on-video film made expressly for the home video market (though not the very first, despite what it says on the video box).  Crap, but the director's commentary isn't bad.

October 25th (Day 25) - Suspiria

Well doing a little research on Blood Cult (widely trashed tongue), led me to a link of a director named Jim Ritter, who along with a few others had made some earlier SOV releases prior to Blood Cult. Ever heard of Ritter or seen any of his flicks? Seems like an interesting guy, apparently worshipped Herschel Gordon Lewis (dunno if that's a good thing).

Do you mean Tim Ritter?  Yeah, I've seen several of his.  In fact I just watched his 1987 flick Killing Spree a couple days ago.  He's yet to make a good movie, though Truth or Dare: A Critical Madness is SO inept and manic that it's a blast to watch despite its multitude of of inadequacies.  Pretty much any other movie he's made is just plain inept, though.

That's exactly who I mean, shit my bad. I kinda figured that might be the case, I'll remember to check out Truth or Dare though. I don't mind a movie with a quirk or two or several hundred, as long as I am entertained.

Last edited by Theli (2013-10-25 19:25:01)

Oh, it's entertaining -- in that you'll laugh at how crazy it is.  I think my favorite thing is how the killer manages to pull and kinds of weapons out of his ass like he's in a Tex Avery cartoon.  Mind you the laugh quotient was not at all intentional -- it was supposed to be serious, but like the movie Pieces, that's exactly why it's so funny.

Other than Truth or Dare, I wouldn't wade too deeply into the Ritter pool of filmmaking, though.  None of his other films are anywhere near as entertaining.

Day 25: The Call of Cthulhu; I didn't have much time before midnight so I had to choose a shorter movie to fit in. I'd also been in a Lovecraft mood, so this worked perfectly. This is a top notch adaptation of Lovecraft's work. The feel of the film is just great, dark, abstract and surreal. Also it's a silent movie, but it was only made in 2005 I think. They really pull it off, and other than maybe a scene or two you can't even notice that it is a newer movie.

October 26th (Day 26) - Jack's Back (1988)

^^
Loved that one.  Brilliant idea to make it silent and old-schooly.  I can't remember what the group said they wanted to do next, but I remember it sounded interesting.

Here's my challenge- making sure I have all my movies for HFest, lol !  My discs and files are scattered all over.

azathoth wrote:

Here's my challenge- making sure I have all my movies for HFest, lol !  My discs and files are scattered all over.

I just went to my apartment to grab the DVDs on the list.

Day 26: Black Sabbath; This is an anthology with three pieces. It's directed by Mario Bava and featuring Boris Karloff in one of the segments and the opening and closing scenes. Overall it's a great anthology that is my opinion gets better with each piece. The first one is a pretty cool, mini-slasher flick, based around a woman receiving creepy phone calls. The Wurdulak, the second features Boris Karloff and is disturbing take on the vampire legend. The Drip, the last piece, is especially creepy. This is an excellent example of Bava's horror mastery.

Oh thanks Lon, I was talking to Theli's Call of Cthulhu, and you just had to post up before me?  Dork.  tongue

I challenge you to a math contest-

What is 2+2 if there is no 4?

Mmmhhh, isn't Truth Or Dare the new movie coming out soon directed by Jessica Cameron??? Or is it a different one. Well I guess it is. Can't wait to see it though, she's an EXCELLENT actress and the trailer is just MAD!!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2762738/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8J7qVONFmE

And yeah Theli, BLACK SABBATH is such a freaking awesome masterpiece, I dig it everytime I watch it. Fantastic one.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-10-27 03:20:40)

azathoth wrote:

Oh thanks Lon, I was talking to Theli's Call of Cthulhu, and you just had to post up before me?  Dork.  tongue

I challenge you to a math contest-

What is 2+2 if there is no 4?

If there is no 4, it goes to the next number which would come after 4.  So,  2 + 2 = 47.

Thought you could trick me but I'm too smrat for that.