Topic: Best non-Lovecraft Cthulhu Mythos

I've been interested in exploring some more in this sub-genre of horror. How is Brian Lumley? How about Edward Lee's Lovecraftian work? Did Ramsey Campbell ever write a Lovecraft inspired novel, or just short stories?

Re: Best non-Lovecraft Cthulhu Mythos

I've only read Lumley's sci-fi and Vampyre works.  Don't know about Lee or Campbell off the top of my head.  Robert Bloch and August Derleth did some good work, of course.  Robert Howard and Ashton Smith come to mind.

Here's an interesting list of "Cthulhu Mythos writers.  (del Toro?  I guess Pan's Labyrinth?)

I wrote an article about this a while ago; I'll see if I can find it.

Robert E. Howard is my all time favourite writer (maybe Moorcock), and I am big fan of Clark Ashton Smith, but haven't read as much of his work compared to Lovecraft or Howard. But Howard at least doesn't really write much about the specific gods Lovecraftian mythology, he had his own gods, as did Smith so far as I can tell.

I also know Derleth and Bloch (didn't realize he had written Cthulhu mythos), but haven't read either yet. What of their's would you recommend?

Yeah, a bunch of people had an "expanded Lovecraft universe."  Take the tone and theme and put your own spin on it.  You could argue that King's It is Lovecraft influenced.

Derleth and Bloch mostly did short story work in the Lovecraft universe, so there is no signature work I can pick out.  Or my memory is burnt out.  Either is equally likely, lol.

For Derleth, I've read most of his work in various anthology collections (most of his stuff went to Weird Tales.  Here is an anthology of his own work. "Shuttered House," "Paneled Room," and "Return of Hastur" are the ones I remember.

The interesting thing was Derleth started Arkham House publishing mainly for the purpose of publishing Lovecraft's work.  He also introduced the phrase Cthulhu Mythos.

Lovecraft was a direct mentor to Bloch (Haunter of the Dark was dedicated to Bloch).  I have some version of this book by Bloch.   

Hope that helps some.

I had done a bit of digging, and pulled up some of the same info last night. But it is much appreciated, especially your opinions on their work.

^^
Yeah, I had to go look up their stuff since I knew they had written stuff, but it's been so long I had to double check on specifics/titles.  I tossed in the extra info for fun.  I really wish that I could have the recall you, Lon, Punk, and others have for interesting stuff.

I'm great with names, but terrible with faces. I always watch movies with my friends on Thursday nights, and there always naming off actors, and I'm always "WTF, mate?". Also nothing important ever sticks, it's just bands/musicians/songs, directors, writers, and magic cards. My brain is so filled with garbage it's amazing.

Oh yeah, I know about the face thing.  When I meet someone for the first time in a social setting, I need to repeat his/her name in my head about 10 times so it sticks.  And yet I can spew out Cat5e cabling is good to 100 meters at 350MHz off the top of my head.  And I confuse stories/movies a bunch- one time for a Friday the 13th Movie Night I loaded up Halloween.  Much confusion was felt by all, with much laughter once we figured out how badly I put the wrong movie in.

^hahaha, that would have been awesome.

Hi all.

I'd have to go with Robert E Howard (one of my all-time favourite writers). As far as particular stories go, I'd say

Pigeons from Hell
The Black Stone
The Thing on the Roof
The Valley of the Worm
People of the Dark
Worms of the Earth
The Shadow of the Beast

I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones that spring to mind now.

Last edited by Father Malone (2014-07-20 22:07:06)

I forgot August Derleth.  D'oh!

Love Howard, but I really don't consider his work part of the Cthulhu mythos, while similar in style and themes (Howard was 100x the author Lovecraft was stylistically), it is his own works, he was a contemporary of Lovecraft, not protege like Bloch, or even Derleth to a certain degree. Same goes for Clark Ashton Smith. Also for what it's worth Lovecraft prefered the term Yog Sothothery than Cthulhu Mythos, as it seems Derleth took his mythos more seriously than he himself.