Topic: Talkback Thread: Rawhead Rex (1986)

This thread is to discuss Rawhead Rex, a short story written by Clive Barker about an ancient pagan demon who rises up after centuries of imprisonment under the ground to continue his bloodlust and take back the church that was once his, and then the 1986 cheesy film adaptation.

Just Rawhead Rex in general.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/fallon6190/Rawhead%20Rex/Rawheadshirt_zpsdb3aed50.jpg

Re: Talkback Thread: Rawhead Rex (1986)

Ireland will never be the same after Rawhead Rex, a particularly nasty Pagan demon, is released from his underground tomb by an unwitting farmer trying to remove a fertility obelisk from his field. The film follows Rawhead Rex's bloody journey through the land he once ruled centuries ago, trying to reclaim the church that was once built to worship him, and ripping apart anyone who's unlucky enough to come across him, but when he eats the young son of a vacationing man, he plans to end Rawhead's bloody reign...

Rawhead Rex was a short story featured in Clive Barker's "Books of Blood" series, which depicted Rawhead Rex as "A 9 foot phallus with teeth"
The story was grim, and was very entertaining to read, and so much was lost when it received it's film adaptation, but still, I found the film to be entertaining in its own right, I mean, how many movies do you know that shows a pagan god baptizing a verger by peeing on him?

I'm a fan of the film. It differs a bit from the story, but it works fine.

azathoth wrote:

I'm a fan of the film. It differs a bit from the story, but it works fine.

I agree, the movie tried, but it didn't quite get there, but it wasn't unbearable.

if they had followed the original draft Clive Barker had written, it would have been really well I think.
Here's a part of the script written by Clive, although the scene is in the final film, it's not done the same way.

13 - INT. CHURCH. DAY.
Declan turns his attention from the window to the altar.
There is a humming sound in the air, which gets louder as he walks down the aisle towards the altar. He climbs the two steps to the altar, treading the dropped flowers underfoot.
Now the hum is very loud. Beneath it, strange voices rise and fall.
He is within two or three feet of the altar itself. His breath has quickened. His eyes are wild.
He reaches the altar, the voices getting louder with every movement. He touches the altar. As he does so, a vision fills his head -

14 - EXT. THE WILD WOOD. DAY.
It is an image of the world Rawhead used to roam and rule. The camera moves at speed through a tangle of barbs and branches, as if it is pursued.

15 - INT. CHURCH. DAY.
Declan's eyes show white, as he is consumed by this terrifying vision. His hand still clutches the altar.

16 - EXT. THE WILD WOOD. DAY.
The camera continues to career through the trees. Ahead, there is a fire through the thicket. The runner makes for it, and breaks through the branches into a chamber of horrors. The camera moves from one apalling sight to the next. Skins and scalps hanging from the branches; a litter of bloody bones underfoot; a human head burning in the fire.

17 - INT. CHURCH. DAY.
Declan's hand is blistering as it holds on to the altar; his face is twitching. But he doesn't let go. In his mind's eye, he is still in Rawhead's lair.

18 - EXT. THE WILD WOOD. DAY.
The camera swings around the lair, looking for an escape-route. But before it can find one, there is a roar from the darkness of the trees. The camera swings round -

19 - INT. CHURCH. DAY.
Declan lets out a cry.

20 - EXT. THE WILD WOOD. DAY.
An awesome form moves out of the shadows towards the camera. we have only a few moments to grasp the size if its jaws, as the teeth appear from its bloody gums.

21 - INT. CHURCH. DAY.
Declan can't look any longer. he pulls his hand from the altar. His eyes spring wide. the vision has disappeared.
He stands for a few moments, trembling and nauseous, before he dares to look at his hand. There is a burn across the palm and fingers, bleeding and blackened.
Looking at it, he smiles.

Now, if you ask me, that would have been fantastic! What we got in the final film was a blurry pan through the forest, to an opening, to a fire, the camera spins around and pans into Rawhead's mouth. It's just not the same

I dig this one too. Yeah pretty different from the book but hey, which movie is the same than the book really??? Not very much.

But a truely great one, HE RULES!!!

I can't remember where I heard it or if it's even true but I remember reading somewhere that Clive Barker wanted to do a remake of this movie, I believe he wanted it to be a bit more faithful to the story -Which was great! I've been meaning to watch this for sometime and may do so sometime this week, thanks for reminding me about this movie RawHeadRex!

The_psychotic_butcher wrote:

I can't remember where I heard it or if it's even true but I remember reading somewhere that Clive Barker wanted to do a remake of this movie, I believe he wanted it to be a bit more faithful to the story -Which was great! I've been meaning to watch this for sometime and may do so sometime this week, thanks for reminding me about this movie RawHeadRex!

No prob, and you heard right, before the Hellraiser reboot came out, Clive stated that he did wish to direct a remake to Rawhead Rex, but he never said he would for sure.

I would love to see a remake, but I'd rather have them stick with by the movie design myself, I mean....
This is alright
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--Cc-KQ9TWi4/TzQ5ePdWsYI/AAAAAAAAA6s/ho920Yqysoc/s320/Blog%2BScott%2527s%2BImage

but I just prefer the movie design

RawHeadRex wrote:

I would love to see a remake, but I'd rather have them stick with by the movie design myself, I mean....
This is alright
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--Cc-KQ9TWi4/TzQ5ePdWsYI/AAAAAAAAA6s/ho920Yqysoc/s320/Blog%2BScott%2527s%2BImage

but I just prefer the movie design

I would have to agree with you, I don't think I could take the movie seriously if they decided to make him look the way Clive Barker wrote him.

I've never read Barker's story, but I've seen the flick several times.  It has its flaws, but I always thought Rex himself was well-done and pretty damn ferocious and I get a kick out of certain parts of it. 

The first time I saw it was when it hit video for the first time back in, what was it, '86 or '87, when I was in my mid-teens.  I remember thinking damn, that monster looks bad-ass.  He definitely deserves a better movie.

http://www.microdoted.com/thegallery/files/4/6/2/100.gif
Poor Dennis...

Damn, the best GIFS come from this film lol

Here's a few interviews with Clive Barker about Rawhead Rex
http://www.clivebarker.info/rawheadrex.html

He talks about what exactly went wrong with the film, and how after he submitted the screenplay, the director pretty much ignored any attempt made by Clive Barker to see the set, or talk with anyone about what was going on, so it wasn't until the film was over that he saw the deed that was Rawhead Rex... and he really wasn't too happy about it!