Topic: Poltergeist remake?

Again I found this on another forum:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1029360/
http://screenrant.com/poltergeist-remak … ease-date/

Poltergeist never quite lived up to it's hype for me. I think it needs to be seen as a kid, cause that's what it feels like, a children's horror movie (even with one traumatizing scene). So it's not a sacred cow to me. I am not opposed to this remake.  It's not too surprising that they are doing a remake of this movie either, it was successful initially and still has a fanbase, but also the haunted house/paranormal films have been quite popular lately.

Re: Poltergeist remake?

They are already in production on this, filming somewhere around Toronto. I'm not really looking forward to yet another potentially awful remake.

Theli wrote:

Again I found this on another forum:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1029360/
http://screenrant.com/poltergeist-remak … ease-date/

Poltergeist never quite lived up to it's hype for me. I think it needs to be seen as a kid, cause that's what it feels like, a children's horror movie (even with one traumatizing scene). So it's not a sacred cow to me. I am not opposed to this remake.  It's not too surprising that they are doing a remake of this movie either, it was successful initially and still has a fanbase, but also the haunted house/paranormal films have been quite popular lately.

Never lived up to its hype? How the hell can you say that? Regardless of scary, the original's a classic and should be left untouched. Family, or adult, scary, or not scary, Poltergeist (1982) is a classic edge-of-your-seat thriller that should be left untouched. I can guarantee they won't be able to top Craig T. Nelson, JoBeth Williams, Heather O'Rourke, Zelda Rubinstein, or any of the original actors.

Last edited by Steve Freeling (2014-03-09 17:37:33)

Tastes vary.  I saw the Poltergeist during its initial run on cable in '82, at the age of 11 or so, and it didn't do anything for me.  And I wasn't even really into horror at that age, aside from the old Universal stuff.  The only part I batted an eye at was when the dude peels off his own face.  The rest of it was just a lot of noise, light and wind machines.  To this day I don't see what's the big deal about that flick.

A piece of advice: don't get bent out of shape whenever someone disses a movie you (quite obviously) love.  One man's trash, etc.

Steve Freeling wrote:
Toadliquor wrote:
Steve Freeling wrote:

Hi. I'm your newest member. I'm a big fan of Poltergeist, which is my favorite horror movie (as you may have guessed). I'm also a big fan of Jaws, Ghostbusters, The 'Burbs, A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984 original) (1st & 7th only), Halloween (1978 original only), Creature (1998) (Craig T. Nelson), Predator, and Duel.

Welcome Steve! Glad to have ya hear. Poltergeist definitely holds a special place in my heart since it was the first horror movie I saw in the theaters. And the one that gave me my lifelong fear of clowns.

Yeah. For me it was clowns, dolls, trees, the closet, and my biggest fear was static channels. When the static would come, I'd scream in terror and move fast to change to a real channel, for fear of letting the 'TV people' in. I was only 7 at the time, so this is understandable. And yet I found that I loved the experience, and wanted to see it again. When I watched Craig T. Nelson, I saw my dad on that screen, and see him on that screen even more now. When I watched JoBeth Williams, I saw my mom on that screen and see her on that screen even more now. They were the first movie parents I'd seen that were anything like my own. So, you can see it was (is) a very special movie experience for me.
★★★★★ out of ★★★★★ for this classic

As you can see from my quoted post above, it felt very personal for me.

Didn't even diss it, just stated my opinion. I've got nothing against it at all, but it's one of the flicks that a lot of people remember as traumatizing, I think it's mostly the skin peeling bit, but when I watched I didn't find anything that chilling about it. Like I said it might have scared me shitless as a kid, but I didn't watch it until I was older.

Even if it is a "kid friendly" horror flick it doesn't make it bad, I love The Gate, and even find some parts pretty disturbing in it, even though it's target audience is at best teens. Just personal preference.

Steve: The original will be untouched, it's not like when a remake is made it changes anything about the original. You don't even have to view it, and you'll never know what a terrible mess the remake will probably be, and keep on living blissfully with your memories of the original.

It's just unnecessary, though. Why remake it? I've never liked excessively scary, excessively gory horror movies like The Exorcist (1973) and The Omen (1976), where you can't sleep nights. I prefer movies like the one we're discussing and Jaws (1975) that, you know, keep you on the edge of your seat and throw some jump scenes in. So, you know my position on this. And there are people that say, "The girl died in 1988." Well, they wouldn't say that if it was their 12-year-old daughter. And what if I told you dear ol' Dad's abusive in the remake? This just proves Hollywood's, in the words of Paul Verhoeven, "gone completely bankrupt of original ideas."

Last edited by Steve Freeling (2014-03-09 20:02:23)

I don't really have any problem with anything getting a remake. doesn't change the original which won't magically vanish out of existence because it has been remade. I will wait and check out the trailer whenever it arrives and decide if it is something I want to see. I know the husband/wife team that wrote the Planet of the Apes remake with James Franco and The Possession are writing the remake which maybe gives it some hope of being good.

Steve Freeling wrote:

It's just unnecessary, though. Why remake it? I've never liked excessively scary, excessively gory horror movies like The Exorcist (1973) and The Omen (1976), where you can't sleep nights.

I'm of the exact opposite opinion.  I don't like jump scares; I have my share of favorite horror comedies, camp horror, etc. but for the most part, when I sit down with a horror movie, I'm looking for an emotional experience.  I want to be scared, I want to be involved, I want to care about the characters, I want suspense, I want horrible things to happen to good people you normally wouldn't want to see horrible things happen to.   That's the whole point of horror in general, IMO.  This is why I don't consider Jaws a horror film, and why I dislike PG and PG-13 stuff like Poltergeist or The Ring.  They're "safe" horror.  And horror shouldn't be safe.

My two cents.

LoudLon wrote:
Steve Freeling wrote:

It's just unnecessary, though. Why remake it? I've never liked excessively scary, excessively gory horror movies like The Exorcist (1973) and The Omen (1976), where you can't sleep nights.

I'm of the exact opposite opinion.  I don't like jump scares; I have my share of favorite horror comedies, camp horror, etc. but for the most part, when I sit down with a horror movie, I'm looking for an emotional experience.  I want to be scared, I want to be involved, I want to care about the characters, I want suspense, I want horrible things to happen to good people you normally wouldn't want to see horrible things happen to.   That's the whole point of horror in general, IMO.  This is why I don't consider Jaws a horror film, and why I dislike PG and PG-13 stuff like Poltergeist or The Ring.  They're "safe" horror.  And horror shouldn't be safe.

My two cents.

I'm with you at this one, Lon, but I don't mind jump scares. They have their place and they're pretty effective in first-time viewings, especially when they reveal an essential character. And yeah, "Poltergeist" was that kind of safe horror, a horror film for non-horror viewers, traumatising at its time, as someone said here, but only to kids or "normal" audiences.
I respect your opinion, Steve, I myself have a few titles I'm pretty passionate about, but I think you should be a bit more open-minded about remaking this one and truly opening it to the nowadays horror audience. A "Poltergeist" that can bite wouldn't be that bad, would it? Worst thing that could happen would be for it to suck big time. If so, I'll join forces with you in bashing the goddamn thing! smile)

I'm not adverse to a remake of Poltergeist, just as long as some creativity/originality is thrown in with the story-line and framework of the original film. The worst thing you can do with a remake, in my opinion, is do a shot-for-shot copy. Because then what's the point of your film? There answer is, there is none. Sam Raimi is obviously a badass, creative filmmaker, and I dug Gil Kenan's Monster House quite a bit. So, I'm not at all saddened seeing their involvement in the project. I think there is plenty of potential in a Poltergeist remake. Though, on the other hand, it could obviously blow, too. That's just the risk that you take with these remakes.

As for Poltergeist (1982), I'm a fan. It is a softer form of horror, but still great, nonetheless. Poltergeist II: The Other Side is nearly as good as the first film, in my opinion. Craig T. Nelson is freaking hilarious in the first sequel lol

Poltergeist III, despite having a decent enough cast, sucked the big Donkey D, however.

Steve Freeling wrote:
Toadliquor wrote:
Steve Freeling wrote:

Hi. I'm your newest member. I'm a big fan of Poltergeist, which is my favorite horror movie (as you may have guessed). I'm also a big fan of Jaws, Ghostbusters, The 'Burbs, A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984 original) (1st & 7th only), Halloween (1978 original only), Creature (1998) (Craig T. Nelson), Predator, and Duel.

Welcome Steve! Glad to have ya hear. Poltergeist definitely holds a special place in my heart since it was the first horror movie I saw in the theaters. And the one that gave me my lifelong fear of clowns.

Yeah. For me it was clowns, dolls, trees, the closet, and my biggest fear was static channels. When the static would come, I'd scream in terror and move fast to change to a real channel, for fear of letting the 'TV people' in. I was only 7 at the time, so this is understandable. And yet I found that I loved the experience, and wanted to see it again. When I watched Craig T. Nelson, I saw my dad on that screen, and see him on that screen even more now. When I watched JoBeth Williams, I saw my mom on that screen and see her on that screen even more now. They were the first movie parents I'd seen that were anything like my own. So, you can see it was (is) a very special movie experience for me.
★★★★★ out of ★★★★★ for this classic

I once again refer you all to this post, which seems to have gone completely ignored.

Last edited by Steve Freeling (2014-03-11 15:11:02)

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I didn't ignore it.  But it seems to me you want everyone to love this film as much as you do, and that's just not gonna happen.  That was your experience with Poltergeist, and I'm sure some others had a similar experience with it, but not everyone.  I personally didn't, but why should my dislike of the film upset you?  Not everyone found the original Dawn of the Dead the life-altering experience that I did, and in fact we've had a lot of younger members here who have opined that Dawn us sub-par, but I don't take that personally.

Movies are a subjective experience.  What appeals to you in a particular movie might not appeal to someone else, and vice versa.  Don't take it personally, brother.  We're all horror fans (and friends) here. smile

I have been treated like a damn idiot on several sites, including this one, just because I love this movie as much as I do. I don't expect everybody to love it as much as I do. Here's a way it can probably work better for all you haters. Don't look at it as a horror movie. I don't. Oh, I just said the ultimate thing to offend those trying to pigeon-hole this movie, and others, into one specific genre. I don't give a damn anymore, to be honest. I don't view Jaws or Aliens as horror either. Does that make me enjoy them any less? No. 5/5 for both. Look, I'm rambling here, but does anybody get what I'm saying at all? I'm not saying every dad's just like, or anything like, Craig T. Nelson in this movie, but mine is. In fact, I've said he's the former. Or that every mom's like JoBeth Williams in this movie, but mine is. Look. I can't speak for anybody except me. I'm just trying to say that my dad is NOT an abusive prick, per the remake. And as far as the whole 'being into horror' thing goes, you gotta admit I was pretty brave to watch the original Alien alone when I was 5. The Dawn of the Dead remake was so bad, my dad and I were laughing throughout, so I'm willing to give the original a chance.

Last edited by Steve Freeling (2014-03-11 18:22:09)

Steve, I'm sure nobody intended to offend you. People are pretty considerate towards other people tastes here. We share the same passion for the genre, although our favourites might be completely different. I understand that "Poltergeist" is pretty special for you, for some very personal reasons that many might not share, and I respect that, but I just can't see it with the same eyes. I also realised I repeat myself and sound like a broken disk, or whatever the hell is that expression. Bottom line, we mean well, so put a smile on your face and relax:)

I also didn't intend to sound like a hippie f**k, but I guess I did. Meh..

Steve Freeling wrote:

I have been treated like a damn idiot on several sites, including this one, just because I love this movie as much as I do. I don't expect everybody to love it as much as I do. Here's a way it can probably work better for all you haters. Don't look at it as a horror movie. I don't. Oh, I just said the ultimate thing to offend the those trying to pigeon-hole this movie, and others, into one specific genre. I don't give a damn anymore, to be honest. I don't view Jaws or Aliens as horror either. Does that make me enjoy them any less? No. 5/5 for both.

@Steve Freeling - Okay, so then let us continue your point and say conclusively that Poltergeist isn't a horror film. Does this automatically mean that everyone should love it unconditionally? This seems an unusual jump in logic to me. But, perhaps, I'm just misunderstanding you. Nonetheless, I'm fairly sure that the perception of the members on this forum can like what they like (and dislike what they dislike) regardless of whatever genre a film is labeled as.

I can understand how personal the original Poltergeist is for you, as well as your anti-remake stance in this case, but you seem to be getting pretty defensive over the subjective views of others expressed in this thread. I don't really see a lot of 'hate' going on either, and I haven't see anyone here treat you like an idiot, as you claim.

Like I said, I'm a fan of Poltergeist and I can identify with your love for the film. So what's the big deal? hmm

@Hicks - Hey. We both love Aliens, right? So, at least we can agree on something?
@The Creature - If I came off that way it was unintentional. I just feel like I keep getting a bunch of bullshit, and like somebody's nearly always trying to make me out to be the bad guy.

Everybody raise your hands if you've ever felt this way.

Last edited by Steve Freeling (2014-03-11 17:51:22)

^ Fair 'nuff, Sir. You won't find any bullshit here. Just steaming piles of monkey-poo, because we like to throw that around at each other from time to time. Want in?!? big_smile

It kind of been re-made  already but they called Insidious (2010)  , well some one had to say it!

With 3rd one that why, I can't see  Poltergeist  remake any time soon.

I don't forget" Petergeist  the episode of  the family guy. I loved the eps,  loved that!

I can't say I've noticed anyone treating you like the bad guy, Steve, but if at any time you feel any animosity being directed toward you, for any reason, let me or Cap Howdy know and we'll take care of it.

But as Hicks said, folks here are pretty considerate toward one another.  Even when we disagree we do our best to be respectful about it, so if someone doesn't see what you see in this particular movie, it doesn't mean they're hating.  They're just disagreeing.  smile

BASSI wrote:

It kind of been re-made  already but they called Insidious (2010)  , well some one had to say it!

That's just a ripoff of Poltergeist (1982) and A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984).

Last edited by Steve Freeling (2014-03-11 19:29:46)

Steve Freeling wrote:

And as far as the whole 'being into horror' thing goes, you gotta admit I was pretty brave to watch the original Alien alone when I was 5.

Who else can say they've done this? What I was saying, now that I'm thinking more clearly, was that if a movie's considered horror and it's not scary, viewers seem to hate, or dislike it instantaneously.

Steve Freeling wrote:
Steve Freeling wrote:

And as far as the whole 'being into horror' thing goes, you gotta admit I was pretty brave to watch the original Alien alone when I was 5.

Who else can say they've done this? What I was saying, now that I'm thinking more clearly, was that if a movie's considered horror and it's not scary, viewers seem to hate, or dislike it instantaneously.

I think the first time I watched Alien, I must have been 11 or 12. Though I started watching horror when I was around four years old. By age five, my favorite horror film was either Child's Play, or The People Under the Stairs. big_smile

I saw Alien when it came out too.
But even if it was badass I didn't become as hookked up as when I saw my fist Horror one ever, the GLORIOUS EVIL DEAD in 1981...

But Poltergeist creeped me out. Not the Clown because I love them but rather the in front of the TV stuff and the stuff the Ghostbusters discovered...

Oh AND THE DAMN TREE!!!

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-03-11 20:41:45)

I'm going to admit I actually think Aliens is the best, and that's the one I love the most. I thought Alien was kind of boring, but there was probably a lot my 5-year-old brain didn't process.