Topic: Most clichéd moments in horror

Hi everyone, I'm a student at Teesside university studying my second year of film and TV. I am going to be making a fully interactive horror YouTube game and I would be very appreciative if you could answer the following question as part of my research.
What do you think are the most cliché moments in horror movies?
You can post as many responses as you like, the more the better. Thanks.

Re: Most clichéd moments in horror

There's always a Let's get separated or a Now you're dead scene. Well not always but most of the time.

wH3LLcome to the MADhouse BTW and hopefully you'll stick around instead of putting this up never to be seen again.

It's the MOST KICK ASS spot in the Universe. big_smile

Dood just needs to watch the Scream series lmao wink Loads of cliches there

^^^
Not to say it's ONLY that. lol

Look for:
"spring loaded cats"
"false 'stings' in the soundtrack"
"double fake outs (famous in mirror scenes)"

^^^
Ahhh yes, the mirrors, definitely...

Lemme see... House haunted by one or many Ghosts, mostly female kids???

Yes... big_smile

I'm sure we're talking to ourselves as that Film dude or gal didn't come back yet. Bah still a fun one. lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-11-09 02:00:50)

^^
You reminded me...
The "Scooby Doo fake out," where it's someone different than you thought (think the "Scream" films).

The most irritating one for me...

The "friend" coming up from behind with there hand out. 

The victim is standing there with their back to the camera.  Cue the music.  Someone is approaching...very slowly.  Why, there's their hand!  Oh, it must be the killer!  Oh stop!  Please turn around! 

I am absolutely terrified watching this!  I have never been more scared. 

The killer keeps approaching. 

Why oh why will the victim not just turn around, and see its the killer so they can escape?!?!??!

The killer comes up, and grabs the person!  The music goes into a high pitch frenzy that Satan himself must have created.

I shriek in terror!

Then, the victim turns around.  Oh...gosh darnit.  Wait a minute.  It was just their friend.  Ahhh shucks.

What a masterpiece of cinematic brilliance!  How oh how did they get me like this? 

Or...it is the most stupidly cliched movie shot in the history of horror movies that has never scared anyone save 12 year old girls and really wimpy boys.  Why it continues to get used is beyond me.

Not only is it predictable and not scary.  Who even approaches people like that?  I mean, I cannot count the number of times I have slowly approached a friend or acquaintance from behind, walking slowly to make no noise, hands outstretched, then to reach them and grab them.

Well, that is unless I am trying to scare them of course.  When this scene happens in a movie, and the person is actually trying to scare them, I can at least give them a pass cuz it makes some sense.  However, when that's not the case, its irritates me so much I sometimes turn off the movie.  Though, some of my favorite movies do have this scene in it.

Ok, that was my rant.  smile

^^^
Maybe a rant but a very interesting one nontheless my friend. smile
And why 12 year old girls and really wimpy boys continues being used is just because I dig them. lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-11-10 02:19:27)

Oh, my absolute favorite, read as "Drives me nuts."

Car is working just fine, but then won't start when it most needs to.  It's fine if it has been established that the car is cranky/unreliable, but most of the time it purrs like Sweet for 60 minutes and then just won't start for no good reason.

Cellphones tend to work the same way.  Using the phone all day no problem, then when they really need to call someone for help- no signal.  They could be in the middle of NYC, and suddenly {no signal}.

And always make sure the killer is actually dead.  Like cuts his/her head off, burn the body, and put the head on a pike.  Then put a Jaunty© hat on top of the head.  Jaunty© hats are very effective at containing evil.

^^^
I doubt it seeing this. lol

http://31.media.tumblr.com/7a0d0629303f217781490cfa8db96a65/tumblr_mrsz1rprkc1s40uwfo1_1280.png

But yes Cell Phones and Cars are definitely a classic. The best use of Cells really is in Pulse 1 I think, I loved the way they set that up. Imagine in what deep shit we would be if all cells phones were conatining possessed Ghosts... TROUBLE!!! big_smile

^^
American version, yes?   I don't recall any cellphones in the Japanese version.  I also find the Japanese version superior to the US version.

I prefer the American one really.
Why??? Kristen Bell. That simple. big_smile

I really didn't expect this many replies, thanks a lot for all of your help everyone! These are really great and will help me so much.
Sorry it's taken me so long to see all of this, the emails went straight into my junk folder (Stupid thing). I'm loving the "MADhouse" so far so don't worry, I'll definitely be coming back, and maybe with some more research questions.
If anyone does happen to have anymore for me, then please keep them coming. They have been very useful and interesting so far.
Thanks again inhabitants of the MADhouse!

Some I find have been done to death:

Driving on a lonely road and seeing a little girl/ghost standing in the middle of the road.

The slow-walking killer who always catches up to a running victim.

The false scare/laugh/real scare scenario.  You know the one.  Girl goes to investigate a strange noise.  Tension builds.  A cat jumps out of nowhere.  She curses under her breath, has a chuckle, turns around, BOOM, there's the killer. 

The mirror scare -- a derivative of the false scare/laugh/real scare scenario.  A person's reflection in a mirror.  They open the medicine cabinet, grab something, close it back.  BOOM, the killer's reflection standing behind them.  Also related: a side shot of a person opening a door; they close it revealing, BOOM, the killer.

The killer holds someone up by the neck, followed immediately by a shot of the person's feet hanging a foot above the floor.

A newer cliche, having gained popularity in the last ten years or so:  the person walking across an empty street and suddenly getting creamed by a car/truck/other vehicle out of the blue.

I love the slow walking killer thing haha. I think the whole car truck thing started with those Final Destination movies.

the character who only shows up for one scene and at the end of said scene the camera lingers on them just a little too long. at the end of the movie it turns out they are the person responsible for all the bad things happening or they are the serial killer in the scary mask. I'm looking at you Friday the 13th part 5

^^^ No shit, man.  They all but had a neon sign with a flashing arrow pointing at the guy saying "Yep, he's the killer."

Subtlety -- a strong point of the Friday the 13th series. lol

good times

TsideFilm wrote:

I really didn't expect this many replies, thanks a lot for all of your help everyone! These are really great and will help me so much.
Sorry it's taken me so long to see all of this, the emails went straight into my junk folder (Stupid thing). I'm loving the "MADhouse" so far so don't worry, I'll definitely be coming back, and maybe with some more research questions.
If anyone does happen to have anymore for me, then please keep them coming. They have been very useful and interesting so far.
Thanks again inhabitants of the MADhouse!

Well that's very cool that you're NOT one of these other ask question never come back dudes. Cool to see you like the MADhouse, it truely rocks.

But yes LoudLon, these ones are absolutely always there. Or way often. And Uwe Boll, damn yeah hahahaha. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olEbwhWDYwM

How about?........Everybody dies.

Plenty of them.

The villain's faked death at the end, for one.