Topic: 2 Is The Best

What Horror series can you think of where the second installment is the best in your opinion? While the original is often the best, it's not uncommon for the second to arguably be a superior film. Some 2s I find to be the best in their series:

Phantasm II
Aliens
Predator 2
Evil Dead II
Saw II
Maniac Cop 2

Re: 2 Is The Best

Friday the 13th: Part II comes to mind straight away. I would also say Psycho II is just as good, if not better than the original but people tend to never agree. Also Demons II is better than the first for me.

A controversial one for me is Poltergeist II. I think the original is a classic, don't get me wrong, but I always slightly preferred the second due to Reverend Kane. Still one of the creepiest and most unnerving villains ever. I also kind of enjoyed the hauntings in the second one more.

I agree with Aliens but have to respectfully disagree with all the others. I don't think predator 2 is better than the first and I'm not sure if I would call Evil Dead 2 a sequel. V/H/S 2 is a lot better than the first VHS, in my opinion

Underworld Evolution
Insidous 2
Grudge 2 my favorite of the 3.
Aliens
Silent Hill Revelations

Ash's missing hand wrote:

I agree with Aliens but have to respectfully disagree with all the others. I don't think predator 2 is better than the first and I'm not sure if I would call Evil Dead 2 a sequel. V/H/S 2 is a lot better than the first VHS, in my opinion

I think Evil Dead II is easily a sequel. The opening recap was there to sum up the events of the first movie. When it picks up from where the first one ended it becomes a straight-up sequel.

I know Predator 2 is a controversial choice but I love both of the first two equally, though I've always slightly preferred the second. I like the urban setting and new Predator weapons.

^^^
Yeah how the fuck can Evil Dead 2 not be a sequel is beyond me... O_O

sequel or not it rocks just the same. Just watched Insidious 2 and thought it kind of dragged til the end but i'm not the biggest fan of the Insidious movies though I do like the first one better.

I thought Insidious 2 was okay, I'll be buying and rewatching it again soon so I'll see if I like it better with a rewatch or two.

Alien was better than Aliens in my mind.

The two are always close.

I liked Insidious 2 more than the first. Prom Night 2 is way better than the first.

Another controversial pick of mine is Poltergeist II. I love the first one too, but always slightly preferred the second for Reverend Kane.

Here's another controversial one from me: Return Of The Living Dead Part II. I love the first one too but I always found the second more fun with the more open environments.

Jigsaw wrote:

Another controversial pick of mine is Poltergeist II. I love the first one too, but always slightly preferred the second for Reverend Kane.

Better than the third which is absolutely stupid. That Ice door to H3LL in the parking lot, PLEEEAAASE. Still extremely entertaining but much less than the 2 others. Too much of these weird decisions in the story writing.

Wrong Turn 2

HENRY FUCKING ROLLINS and also the badass scene at the start where the girl gets cut in half man when I first saw this I got up and SCREAMED LIKE A MADMAN!!! That I am. lol

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge -- yeah, love the first one (who doesn't?) but very rarely have I seen a horror flick as blatantly and humorously metaphorical as this.  Intentional or not (director Jack Shoulder says it wasn't), anyone who watches this flick and doesn't see plainly that Freddy represents Jesse's repressed homosexuality just isn't paying attention. lol

Blade 2 -- a rip-roaring, blood-soaked, action packed horror/action/splatter flick, bursting with director Guillermo Del Toro's signature touches and visual flair.  The final fight featuring Blade and Nomak beating the piss out of each other is a superhero fight fan's wet dream.

Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn -- okay, so, it's not technically a sequel and is more like an expanded remake, but I doubt there are many horror fans out there who'd argue it's better than the original.  Not that Evil Dead was a bad flick, not at all.  In fact it's one of my top 10 all-time favorite horror flicks.  But so is Evil Dead 2, and it's slightly higher on that list.

Hellbound: Hellraiser II -- I'm one of the few folks who likes this flick better than the original.  Still a fan of the first Hellraiser but I think this one outdoes it in many aspects; better FX, a better overall story, better visuals, etc.

Phantasm II -- while it's far from a great flick (unevenly paced, illogical, etc) I still enjoy it better than the original and the other sequels, none of which I enjoyed at all.

Those are the only ones I can think of at the moment.

Actually, most I know seem to like Hellraiser II better than the first.

LoudLon wrote:

Blade 2 -- a rip-roaring, blood-soaked, action packed horror/action/splatter flick, bursting with director Guillermo Del Toro's signature touches and visual flair.  The final fight featuring Blade and Nomak beating the piss out of each other is a superhero fight fan's wet dream.

I prefer Trinity to all of them. Jennifer Biel with a bow??? Woo yes man. big_smile

Blade II is the only one of that series I've yet to see.

You're missing out, Jiggy.  Snipes is in top form in that flick and it's loaded with slam-bang action sequences.  And the mutant vampires are bad-ass!

I've seen the first and third Blade films and liked both, been meaning to see the second and I will at some point.

kXnPunk wrote:

Better than the third which is absolutely stupid. That Ice door to H3LL in the parking lot, PLEEEAAASE. Still extremely entertaining but much less than the 2 others. Too much of these weird decisions in the story writing.

I enjoy Poltergeist III more than most but it's definitely my least favorite of the three, though I did like the high rise setting.

^^^
Oh yes definitely cool.

On the subject of Poltergeist II, I think Kane being much more involved made it more entertaining for me and I liked the haunted bits in it more.

I haven't seen Hatchet III yet, but I remembered Hatchet II being another part 2 that IMO is better than the first. I didn't care much for the original but the second I think was a big improvement.