Topic: The LUCIO FULCI Thread

I'm sure that throughout the years of horrormovies.ca being a thing, that at some point a Fulci thread must have been started, but I searched for topic threads and had no luck in finding any. So I've decided to make a new one, also for the reason that I feel we that haven't exactly had a lot of awesome, recent horror threads put up lately (with the exception of LoudLon's villain matches & Fulcento's fantasy horror match-ups). If I'm treading over old ground, and there's already a better thread buried somewhere, may the mods feel free to delete this one (though I'm kind of hoping it isn't, because I now realize I've actually put some effort into making it lol ). Anywho...

HERE is the place to discuss Lucio Fulci, the man himself and all of his works (horror, giallo, even spaghetti western or otherwise). I'm indeed a fan of his, but haven't had the opportunity to watch all of his films as of yet. I haven't even seen some of his most popular ones, such as: 1) City of the Living Dead, 2) Manhattan Baby, 3) The Black Cat and 4) The Cat in the Brain. Yes, I am slightly ashamed. But I will seek to obtain a few of these on DVD if I can't legally find it online for free (my PC doesn't handle movie downloads very well). I look forward to what I can learn from you folks in the following posts.

Feel free to discuss biographical information, your personal favorite(s) of his, obscure Fulci flicks that you think are under-appreciated for whatever reasons, his infamous trilogy, interesting stories and trivia, Fulci interviews and film footage, etc., etc.

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii597/creaturekillswell/Fulci3_zps1eb82b9d.jpg

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii597/creaturekillswell/Fulci2_zpsa6297dd5.jpg

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii597/creaturekillswell/Fulci1_zpsb459d53a.jpg

Oh, and my favorite Fulci flick is a toss up between The Beyond and Zombi 2. smile

Discuss!

Last edited by The Creature (2014-01-20 22:15:45)

Re: The LUCIO FULCI Thread

Big Fulci fan here too. He didn't quite have the finesse of Bava or Argento but his off the wall stories and over the top gore always made his flicks worth watching. Some of his worst movies, Conquest and Zombi 3, are as enjoyable as his best. If only for camp and comedy. I would agree, The Beyond and Zombie (Zombi 2, Zombie Flesh Eaters) are most likely my favourite Fulci flicks, but The New York Ripper and City of the Living Dead are right up there too (especially Ripper).

I always liked his adaptation of the Black Cat too, a little more tamed and atmospheric than most of his other horror flicks.

Edit; Now that I am looking at the poll, I can't choose. It really is a mood thing. Do I really like The Beyond and Zombie more than The New York Ripper and the Black Cat? Ugh... I'll just vote Zombie and call it a day.

Last edited by Theli (2014-01-20 23:31:07)

I also should acquaint myself with Fulci's Giallo's and other early flicks too, I haven't seen any of his films that predates Zombie. Psychic, Don't Torture a Duckline, and Lizard in Woman's Skin all seem like worthwhile films to watch.

^ The Psychic (which I believe is his first horror flick) I have not seen. Don't Torture A Duckling is a brilliant film (and Lucio's personal favorite movie of his), IMO. The only reason I didn't include it in the poll is because it's not a very popular choice for a favorite. A Lizard in a Woman's Skin was so-so. The scene with the mangled dogs was pretty cool though. It caused quite an episode on the censorship boards upon its release and even landed Fulci in court because of some idiot who thought he had murdered actual dogs for the film.

Haven't seen Conquest, but of course my love of Zombi 3 is well known on this forum. Found a neat quote from Fulci on this, by the way:

"You see, I don't repudiate any of my movies except ZOMBI 3. But that movie's not mine. It's the most foolish of my productions. It has been done by a group of idiots, which are Claudio Fragasso - natural born cretin, Bruno Mattei - who before becoming a "director" was a house painter, and a guy named Mimmo Scavia - the director of productions, who arrived in the Phillippines and his first thought was to just fuck some Oriental girls. I refused to end ZOMBI 3. I took the plane and came back to Rome. On the screen you can only see fifty minutes directed by me, and that's because Fragasso continuously changed my screenplay. "We can't do this, we can't do that..." I'm only proud of the scene of the biting skull."

Interestingly enough, both directors are in equal opposition as to whose baby Zombi 3 is. Fulci doesn't consider Zombi 3 to be his film, and neither does Bruno Mattei (he expresses this in an interview found on the DVD release). You know a movie is bad when neither co-director wants to take any credit. lol

Last edited by The Creature (2014-01-21 00:48:35)

Hahahaha, yeah that's not a good sign. Conquest is confusing and bad, it really is, but you at least get the sense there was effort put forth. Zombi 3 is just a mess, in the most lovable way.

For those curious few:
Conquest (full film on YT):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uka1MO9ijo8
Zombi 3 (Full film on YT): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuimQgwn39o

I had a nice Fulci marathon today. The New York Ripper (first time watch), The Beyond, and The House by the Cemetery were my features for this evening. Plus all of the interviews on bonus features for House and Zombi 3.

I take back what I said in my original post for this thread about not having seen City of the Living Dead. I looked up the trailer for it, and I've definitely watched the movie before. Just forgot. Damn my bad memory!  Apparently I need to give that a re-watch too.

I'm a fan of The Fulch.  My favorite is Zombie (aka Zombi 2, aka Zombie Flesh Eaters) but I also have a lot of love for The Beyond, Contraband (aka The Smuggler), New York Ripper and City of the Living Dead (which I first saw under the title Gates of Hell).  Cat in the Brain is a wacky little gem, too -- not so much because it's a good movie but because it's so damned audacious and scatterbrained. 

Fulci's The Black Cat is an excellent adaptation of the Poe story (starring my favorite Italian horror starlet Mimsy Farmer, of Four Flies on Grey Velvet and The Perfume of the Lady in Black fame).  House by the Cemetery is a creepy little gem and Manhattan Baby, while far from his best, is a decent watch as well.  Same for Aenigma.  Didn't much care for Don't Torture a Duckling, though, especially the climax with the horribly rendered dummy smacking its face off the cliff side.  His last film -- well, the last film he was supposed to direct and which he developed with Dario Argento, but which he unfortunately passed before production began -- was Wax Mask.  Not a bad flick, but would have been better, I think, if Fulci had lived to direct it and if his script hadn't been extensively re-written after he died.

I've yet to see Zombi 3 (and am in no hurry considering Fulci himself disowned the flick), The Psychic or A Lizard in a Woman's Skin.  I've also not seen his two made-for-Italian TV flicks Sweet House of Horror or House of Clocks. 

I think that covers all his horror flicks.  He did make a great many movies before he fell into horror with Zombie, but I've only seen one of them, Beatrice Cenci.  Good flick, though I've only seen it once, twenty years ago, and don't remember a whole lot of detail.

Anyway.  Yep.  I'm a fan.

^ Cool, man. I definitely have to pick up The Black Cat, Cat in the Brain, Manhattan Baby, and House of Clocks yet. Since I'm in a Fulci mood, maybe I'll just go buy them off of Amazon if they're at a cheap enough price. Contraband/The Smuggler is another of his I haven't seen, but I hear it's a great giallo flick all the same.

Have you seen Demonia (1990), LoudLon? And if so, is it any good?

Manhattan Baby wasn't bad. It kind of felt like Fluci's take on the Exorcist. Not his best, but well worth a watch.

The Creature wrote:

For those curious few:

I had a nice Fulci marathon today. The New York Ripper (first time watch), The Beyond, and The House by the Cemetery were my features for this evening. Plus all of the interviews on bonus features for House and Zombi 3.

Sounds like a good night of viewing! I really should rewatch House by the Cemetery. I've only seen it once, but I hated it so much I haven't touched it since. The kid, that damn kid.

Theli wrote:

Manhattan Baby wasn't bad. It kind of felt like Fluci's take on the Exorcist. Not his best, but well worth a watch.

That's about exactly what I've been hearing in general from the people who've watched it. It seems to often get a "not great, but decent" rating.

Pretty cool poster art for this film, too:
http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii597/creaturekillswell/ManhattanBaby_zps47cb379b.jpg

Theli wrote:
The Creature wrote:

For those curious few:

Sounds like a good night of viewing! I really should rewatch House by the Cemetery. I've only seen it once, but I hated it so much I haven't touched it since. The kid, that damn kid.

Oh, I know how you feel, man. lol
The English dubs are god damn terrible, annoying, and silly. And unfortunately, it's ruined the film for a lot of people. Having watched it for the second go-around last night, the annoyance of the kid's dubs seem to have worn off a bit from my first viewing (thankfully). I liked the film when I first watched it, but I enjoyed it a lot more this time around for whatever reason.

The Creature wrote:

^ Cool, man. I definitely have to pick up The Black Cat, Cat in the Brain, Manhattan Baby, and House of Clocks yet. Since I'm in a Fulci mood, maybe I'll just go buy them off of Amazon if they're at a cheap enough price. Contraband/The Smuggler is another of his I haven't seen, but I hear it's a great giallo flick all the same.

Have you seen Demonia (1990), LoudLon? And if so, is it any good?

No, haven't seen that one yet, either.  I believe Cat in the Brain was the most recent of his movies I've seen.

Incidentally, Contraband isn't a giallo; it's a mafia flick.  Nice and violent, too, with the kind of gore you'd expect out of Fulci.

The Creature wrote:
Theli wrote:

That's about exactly what I've been hearing in general from the people who've watched it. It seems to often get a "not great, but decent" rating.

Pretty cool poster art for this film, too:
http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii597/creaturekillswell/ManhattanBaby_zps47cb379b.jpg

Yup, that's why I bought it. That and my copy has Fulci's name plastered on the front.
Edit: There it is; L. Fulzy lol

Since this is the thread for it, here's my ranking of Fulci flicks based on enjoyability, not necessarily quality tongue  1 and 2 could rotate, and 3-5 could change on any given day. I'm a moody sort, what can I say? big_smile

1. Zombie
2. The Beyond
3. The New York Ripper
4. The Black Cat
5. City of the Living Dead
6. Conquest
7. Zombi 3
8. Manhattan Baby
9. The House by the Cemetery

Last edited by Theli (2014-01-21 13:22:51)

@Loudlon, I've heard that that film is especially gory, Fulci style. Don't know where I picked up that it was a Giallo. hmm

@Theli - I like that idea. I'll do a top eight, since that's all I've seen, and I've enjoyed them all, pretty much. 

1) The Beyond
2) Zombie
3) Don't Torture A Duckling
4) The House by the Cemetery
5) Zombi 3 (difficult to really see it as a Fulci film, but balls-to-the-walls fun anyway)
6) City of the Living Dead (need to give it a re-watch, but good from what I remember)
7) The New York Ripper
8) A Lizard in a Woman's Skin

Okay, top ten:

10. Cat in the Brain
9.  Wax Mask
8.  Manhattan Baby
7.  Aenigma
6.  City of the Living Dead
5.  The Black Cat
4.  New York Ripper
3.  Contraband
2.  The Beyond
1.  Zombie

Incidentally, I was right in the Draft thread -- Creech, you addressed my full username with an ampersand above and sure enough, I have a notification in Yahoo mail, "Reply to topic: THE LUCIO FULCI THREAD."

So suck it, non-believers. tongue

Mine all go to Junk ha ha ha

Zombi 2 is my favourite but also really adore Don't Torture A Duckling and his giallo, Perversion Story equally. Some really nice imagery in Perversion Story.

I enjoy Don't Torture a Duckling and Perversion Story aka One On Top Of Another a lot better than The Beyond or City of The Living Dead

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w366/Xenomorph85/53446b44-bdab-4e9e-94ec-32b896ae4cef_zps368655ff.jpg

Last edited by Vasquez (2014-01-21 14:18:13)

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2014-01-21 14:31:32)

sorry but never really rated the man. do not get why he is seen as such a genius. The Beyond, City Of the Living Dead, The House bY The Cemetary,and "Manhatten Baby" is one of the worst films i have ever seen in my life! ( and i've seen well  over 9000 films. )  To be frank most of his  horror films bore me and dazzle me with their ineptness and over the top gore. the one horror film i do like of his is " Zombie Flesheaters" which is good. outside of horror he is not so bad, he has done three spaghetti westerns of which i have seen two which are competent, and i quite like " The Naples Connection" also known as " the Smuggler". if you like him fine, no problem but just saying i don't get it.

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2014-01-21 15:07:05)

^

I kinda agree with you in regards o The Beyond, City of The Living Dead but as I say I really like his giallo films. Have you seen any of them?

Vasquez wrote:

^

I kinda agree with you in regards o The Beyond, City of The Living Dead but as I say I really like his giallo films. Have you seen any of them?

Hey Vasquez!  thanks. to be honest no i haven't , am not a great fan of giallos that much, i have seen some and some are ok , some not so good. i have not seen any Fulci giallos so cannot really comment or judge him with those. like i said this is just my personal opinion of his horror films, if people like fulci films that's great. i know the man had his fans and he wasn't without talent i just can't see why the likes of " The Beyond" etc are rated as such classics, to me they are pretty inept. i feel the same way to a degree about Dario Argento ( now i have seen pretty much all his Giallos) he has made some good classics e.g " Suspiria" and "Tenabrae" ( my favourite of his) but the rest i can take or leave. for me Mario Bava is a class and way above the rest of the Italian Directors in the horror genre.

wolfman1959 wrote:
Vasquez wrote:

^

Hey Vasquez!  thanks. to be honest no i haven't , am not a great fan of giallos that much, i have seen some and some are ok , some not so good. i have not seen any Fulci giallos so cannot really comment or judge him with those. like i said this is just my personal opinion of his horror films, if people like fulci films that's great. i know the man had his fans and he wasn't without talent i just can't see why the likes of " The Beyond" etc are rated as such classics, to me they are pretty inept. i feel the same way to a degree about Dario Argento ( now i have seen pretty much all his Giallos) he has made some good classics e.g " Suspiria" and "Tenabrae" ( my favourite of his) but the rest i can take or leave. for me Mario Bava is a class and way above the rest of the Italian Directors in the horror genre.

Totally agree with u on Bava.  It strange to me that Argento seems to get mentioned so much more.

I think Argento gets mentioned more because his gialli tended to be more psychologically profound and visually much more extravagant than most.  Giallos in film contain a lot of arm chair psychology and dime store philosophizing when it comes to explaining the motives of their killers; man hates women, so he kills them any chance he gets.  Or woman's trying to keep an affair a secret and kills anyone who finds out about it.  What they don't get into are what makes the killer homicidal in the first place, which is what Argento brought to the sub-genre, and which sets his films so far above most other gialli.  He may not be able to tell a clear, narratively linear story but he delves very deep into his characters' psyches, the icing on the cake being his brilliant visual approach. 

Look at Bava's two best gialli (The Girl Who Knew Too Much and Blood and Black Lace) then look at Argento's two best (Tenebrae and Opera) and tell me the latter ain't got it all over the former.  That's not saying Bava's gialli are no good; in fact, they're much better than standard gialli.  But Argento's are even better, for a number of reasons which become more and more apparent the more often you watch them.

That's my two cents, anyway.  I'm sure others will disagree.