Topic: Favourite Vampire Novels

So I've been on a vampire kick recently. I am currently reading Interview With the Vampire and just finished Richard Laymon's The Traveling Vampire Show. So I am looking to see what you guys and gals think are the top vampire novels. I haven't read a ton but here's how my list looks:

1. Sheridan Le Fanu - Carmilla
2. Richard Laymon - The Traveling Vampire Show
3. Richard Matheson - I Am Legend
4. Stephen King - Salem's Lot
5. Bram Stoker - Dracula

Surprisingly I am not a huge Dracula fan, despite being a huge fan of almost all film adaptations. And I also wasn't blown away by Salem's Lot, which again is suprising because I am big fan of King especially his books from that era. I didn't hate either though, just underwhelmed at times.

Re: Favourite Vampire Novels

1- Bram's Dracula
2- King's Salem's Lot
3- Nancy Holder's Buffy Book Of Fours
4- L. J. Smith's The Vampire Diaries
5- Stephenie Meyer's Twilight
Yeah I dig it so what huh???
Sue me. lol

The Vampire Diaries the same as the series? If so, which one came first?

'salem's Lot and Dracula are two favorites of mine.  I also enjoy,

OldLaughingLady wrote:

'salem's Lot and Dracula are two favorites of mine.  I also enjoy,

I'm waiting to see what's next man. lol

Books first Theli. First one in 1991 and the series started in 2009...

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-02-01 12:35:55)

Cool, thanks!
Yeah the dreaded post cut. It sucks.

Only happened once to me since I'm here. Guess it's fears my revenge. lol

I've been buying The Vampire Diaries books.
Then realized I am waaaaay behind. There's like 10 in that series. I have the first 5 hmm

Last edited by MoonRaven (2014-02-01 21:10:47)

Dracula, Let the Right One In, Interview with the Vampire (even though I can't stand Anne Rice's contribution to vampire lore), and Salem's Lot are my favourites... haven't gotten around to reading Camilla yet. It's on my list of things to read before I die.

MoonRaven wrote:

I've been buying The Vampire Diaries books.
Then realized I am waaaaay behind. There's like 10 in that series. I have the first 5 hmm

I only have the first 3...

NonEuclidean wrote:

Dracula, Let the Right One In, Interview with the Vampire (even though I can't stand Anne Rice's contribution to vampire lore), and Salem's Lot are my favourites... haven't gotten around to reading Camilla yet. It's on my list of things to read before I die.

I am sure you will like it. I really want to read Let the Right One In. I'm sure I will be getting to it sooner rather than later.

I wonder if there's any Vampirella novels. Damn that'd ROCK more than anything else for me...

EDIT: Well there are. Woooooooooo!!! Dicovery of the night. lol V''''V

http://www.vampilore.co.uk/otherpubs/novels.html

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-02-02 02:05:20)

I should begin a Vampirella collection. That will be my new goal. Where to start with Graphic novels? Is there a best story arc or author?

Last edited by Theli (2014-02-02 02:03:28)

Vampirella Classics http://www.vampilore.co.uk/harris.html = Best
Vampirella vs. the Cult of Chaos http://www.vampilore.co.uk/harris/cultchaos.html = Second best.

Thanks!

YVW.

I have most of them, not originals of course but still badass to read. Wish I could get the originals though, nothing is like paper and it smells wonderful. Every time I get a new one, I open it and put my nose into it and smell. Necronomicon was the best smell EVER. lol

Don't I know it! It's a strange fixation, but I know what you mean. I also love the smell of a book store filled with old books. I can spend hours scouring those places.

I might try to hunt down some originals eventually, if they're not too expensive, but I'll start with a couple graphic novels for now.

The Necroscope series.

Yeah I gotta check out that series too. I've read a few of Lumley's short stories and really liked them.

Theli wrote:

Don't I know it! It's a strange fixation, but I know what you mean. I also love the smell of a book store filled with old books. I can spend hours scouring those places.

I might try to hunt down some originals eventually, if they're not too expensive, but I'll start with a couple graphic novels for now.

Yeah in France I worked in a Printing Factory and man the smell there was in the hangars where we stored the paper was just BEAUTIFUL and wild as H3LL. Yuuuummmm the lovely smell. Used to take my breaks smoking a cigarette and drinking coffee in there for the 4 years I was there EVERY DAY!!! Yes baby. big_smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-02-02 14:58:49)

It's really difficult to narrow my list down to 5 but here goes:

1- Bram Stokers Dracula.  The book that spawned hundreds of movies.  It still is the best vampire book. 

2- Interview With a Vampire.  Oh how I love Anne Rice.  I need to read more of her books!

3- I Am Legend.  The closest movie adaptation of this book is Vincent Price's Last Man on Earth and they still left out a lot of the book. 

4- The Anita Blake series by Laurel k Hamilton.  If you think Buffy kicks vampire butt than you should check out Anita Blake.  I became completely addicted to this series but I am still not up to date on them. It's huge!  I keep wondering why this isn't a tv series yet?

5- The Strain.  A trilogy of books by Guierlmo Del Toro.  Non stop vampire action and a good story.  This one is being made into a TV series that comes out soon.

I wanted to get into Laurell K. Hamilton.
But I have to many books to read as it is and she has a ton smile

I need to check out the Strain too. Something i have been meaning to do for a while, love Del Toro's movies, can only imagine his voels are just as good.

Another surprise to see that not only Vampirella was also a series of novels but Anita Blake too. Been a fan of the comics for a while so I'm gonna check this out.

And yes The Strain, can't wait for it. Gotta check this out too.
Thanks miss DirtyCOOLASFUCKGirl. Nice to see you around too. big_smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-02-03 01:53:15)

I'm sorry, I had typed out that I also enjoy The Historian.  Then I wrote about finding it featured on an endcap at Barnes and Noble so I bought it and loved it, lol.  Must have deleted (laptop does that from time to time highlighting and deleting what I write)