Re: 30 Days of Night, the new "300"?

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saw the trailer b4 Halloween last night and I swear, I thought I had dreamed it up myself with all my favorite stuff.  Vampires, darkness, a Muse soundtrack - wow, this really got me revved up.

i think 30 days of night looks awesome but for it to be as good as 300 that i gonna take ALOT of work. 300 was insane!

i enjoyed 300 very much and this one already has me more interested than i am legend cuz you actually see what your going to be dealing with

i have high expectations for the movie. the comic is gory as fuck..i dont know how far they are going to push it in the movie.
there will be blood

I rarely watch a trailer and know for certain that the movie is going to be amazing...And it's NOT based the trailer solely...It's based on the team behind it...David Slade kicked my ass with my favourite film of 2006 (and one of my top 10 ever), Hard Candy...And it's written by Niles himself, as well as Stuart Beatie who wrote one of the best films of 2004, Collateral and Brian Nelson who wrote Hard Candy...Not even the miscasting of Josh Hartnet will fuck this movie up...October 19th can't come soon enough...I live in NYC so hopefully they'll start handing out advance screening passes soon...

Last edited by N2NOther (2007-09-16 17:26:52)

great post n2nother couldnt agree with your thinking more. The writer, the director it all points to a great film!

It's been awhile since I posted this subject. I think I initially compared this with "300" because of the stylized, dark comic-book look (they're both based on graphic novels) and the hardcore visceral violence. Of course, the whole setting does seem to be right out of "The Thing". And I'm thinking this might be the best Sam Raimi horror film (he produced) since "Darkman". Forget those boring "Grudge" re-makes, this one's going to be great. Same intensity as "The Descent"? I hope so.

Last edited by alex1176 (2007-10-12 21:42:00)

Kruz wrote:

Wait until I get my chance. tongue

Awesome attitude, man.

N2NOther wrote:

I rarely watch a trailer and know for certain that the movie is going to be amazing...And it's NOT based the trailer solely...It's based on the team behind it...David Slade kicked my ass with my favourite film of 2006 (and one of my top 10 ever), Hard Candy...And it's written by Niles himself, as well as Stuart Beatie who wrote one of the best films of 2004, Collateral and Brian Nelson who wrote Hard Candy...Not even the miscasting of Josh Hartnet will fuck this movie up...October 19th can't come soon enough...I live in NYC so hopefully they'll start handing out advance screening passes soon...

i agree and i think this is going to be awsome!!! i WILL be going to see this except you hatin' on Josh Hartnet tongue i have grown to like him since Sin City and Lucky Number Sleven.

I saw it today.  It was a decent film.  I think they didnt do enough with it as the potential is there.....

My 30DON review is up.  Check it out.  http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_reviews_2831.htm

I wasnt sure how I was gonna rate it because when I came out of the theater I really didnt know where it sat in my mind.  I was on the fence with it.  The more I have thought about it and analyzed it, I understood I enjoyed it a lot but felt short changed.  it still got an 8/10 from me.  It was right there for them to make it so much more and they just didnt capitalize.  Still enjoyable nonetheless, and a must for any gorehound as the gore was nonstop.

I just finished watching the movie and I found it to be a fascinating new concept on the world of Vampires. The movie itself was indeed a mostly original concept based on my movie knowledge. I cannot say that I have many complaints about the movie. Although, after watching "Imprint" I do have to say, the bar has been raised in the horror movie industry, this movie does a nice job of touching that bar.

I thought this movie was awesome.
I couldn't wait for it to open, told a friend and she got me in to the screening a week early. It was worth it.

I paid to see it again with friends who wanted to go.

SO glad that filmmakers finally gave us some ruthless bloodsuckers that we could finally believe in.

jmh314 wrote:

My 30DON review is up.  Check it out.  http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_reviews_2831.htm

I wasnt sure how I was gonna rate it because when I came out of the theater I really didnt know where it sat in my mind.  I was on the fence with it.  The more I have thought about it and analyzed it, I understood I enjoyed it a lot but felt short changed.  it still got an 8/10 from me.  It was right there for them to make it so much more and they just didnt capitalize.  Still enjoyable nonetheless, and a must for any gorehound as the gore was nonstop.

True. I liked it -- and it was leaps and bounds better than most vampire movies we've gotten in the last decade or two. Cinematography was bad-ass. But I personally think the dialogue and story didn't make the transition from graphic novel to screen very well, and I hated the lead actors. Enjoyable, but not great.

I went to see 30 days of night and walked out at about the middle point. I found the movie incredibly boring. The vampires seemed like they weren't all that cool. Oh well, maybe I will give it another chance when it comes on DVD. $14 wasted. sad