Topic: ManHunt 2 Banned!

Uh oh. ManHunt 2 has run into a problem. Namely it has been banned in the UK. The BBFC has rejected the video game Manhunt 2. This means that it cannot be legally supplied anywhere in the UK. The game was submitted in both a PS2 and a Nintendo Wii ve...

Read More : ManHunt 2 Banned!

Re: ManHunt 2 Banned!

This is so nazi like, ppl should have the right to watch, play and listen to what they want, game ratings are there for a reason, this game shud av just bin given an 18, it's aimed at adults, rockstar are an adult games company, fuck the bbfc they are the british board of fucking cunts. The UK sucks ass but its a good job my ps2 is chipped so i will ge it from usa

i agree adam. I believe strongly in RATING films and games appropriately but banning it outright is  so odd.

Its only a matter of time until the "Do Gooders" over here jump on the same bandwagon.  While they may not be able to outright ban the game in the US, they can put pressure on stores that sell it to make it most difficult to purchase it.

i have no problem with making it difficult to buy if its a violent game. So long as it can be bought.

FYI: The Irish Film Censor's Office announced that the game would also not be available for sale in Ireland

I for one cant wait for this to come out.  I've got my Wii and can't wait to get this bloody experience rolling!   Hopefully the US wont ban it.  (I highly doubt they will.  They ban very little.  And At worst they would slap an Adult rating on it, but it would still be available.)

I remember when the first one came out it ran into similar problems in the UK.  They actually linked the first game to a killing that occured out there by a young boy.  The police deny it but the victim's mother says the other boy was "obsessed with the first game.  So that could be why they are banning this second one.

Look at all the troubles the first game had around the world:
New Zealand: The game was declared objectionable on December 11, 2003. Possession is an offence.
Canada: Following a meeting in Toronto on December 22, 2003 between Bill Hastings, the Chief Censor of New Zealand, and officials from the Ontario Ministry of Consumer and Business Services, Manhunt became the first computer game in Ontario to be classified as a film and was restricted to adults on February 3, 2004.
Australia: It was refused classification (banned, but possession is legal) on September 28, 2004 by the Classification Review Board after having earlier received a classification allowing it to be purchased by those aged 15 years or older.
United Kingdom: The game received a BBFC 18 certificate, legally prohibiting its sale to anyone under that age.
Germany: On 2004-07-19, the Amtsgericht Munich confiscated all versions of Manhunt for violation of § 131 StGB (representation of violence). The game, the court said, portrays the killing of humans as fun, and the more fun, the more violent the killing is. They also sensed a glorification of vigilantism, which they considered harmful per se.

So anyone who is shocked that the more grisly and graphic sequel wasnt going to run into similar problems must have been turning a blind eye. And all this info I found was on Wikipedia and they said despite all this elsewhere, there was little to no controversy in North America.

Last edited by jmh314 (2007-06-19 11:19:25)

Actaully what they always fail to say here in the UK is that it was the person that GOT killed who was the manhunt fan NOT the killer

If the ban doesnt get overturned then i wud feels sorry for rockstar cos they have made this game for the fans. They went on the projectmanhunt website and listened to what the fans wanted in the sequel, they then put these in the game. Not many companies wud actaully do this and thats y rockstar are the best in the world. Plus its going to be an awesome game, in an early review it has got 92%

thats bullshti who fuckign cares wat the ratings r I am sooo sick and tired opf rating its fucking stupid. trying to get into R Rated movies is hard buying a game is ahrd give us kids a break. I dont care if the plot is to kill ppl GIVE ME THE FUCKING GAME OR I WILL REALLY KILL PEOPLE. They piss me off sooo fuckign much I want them to release the game already jsut do it theres people that wanna play it. Games and movie dont kill people STUIPD FUCKS who play and watch them doo!!!!

Can't the people in the UK order it from the US? Maybe have a friend from outside the UK send them an original copy?

sickf**k wrote:

GIVE ME THE FUCKING GAME OR I WILL REALLY KILL PEOPLE.

Relax man tongue

The thing about their reasoning that kind of hits home is that it seems that it's not the actual kills that they have an issue with it with the tone of the game. In the article they specifically say that if were a matter of modding the game to take out gore or other content they would release the vesion that fit their guidelines. Also they said its unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone in an overall game context which constantly encourages visceral killing with exceptionally little alleviation or distancing. There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game and that is something that cannot be edited. I do not in anyway condone censorship at any level but how would you feel if your young child came to you excited because in the game he slit the throat of an inmate or crushed the skull of another player. I'm not sure what side of the fence I'm on here, I feel like the game should be availabe to anyone that want's to play it but on the other hand if it's that bad I also feel it shouldn't be in the hands of anyone under 18.

I think that if rockstar makes great games and always has but sometimes I have to wonder, are they pushing the envelope just to see how far they can go or is the content there to move the story or the plot of the game.

I think they are just pushing it and I like it! Keep on pushing! Maybe they'll end up creating a new rating "NFTW"... "Not For The Weak"

Hard2Kill wrote:

I think that if rockstar makes great games and always has but sometimes I have to wonder, are they pushing the envelope just to see how far they can go or is the content there to move the story or the plot of the game.

If Rockstar is just 'pushing the envelope" how is that any different from many of the gore movies being put out today? 

I dont think banning a game like Manhunt does any good when you can just go out and watch a violent movie like Battle Royale or Hostel 2 instead.   I think you make the ratings more severe and truly card someone when buying it.  I have seen stores that when you scan CD's in with "Parental Advisory" or rated R movies it asks to enter a birth date.  Hell, some places even card people to buy spray paint.  Why not do that with games?  They have these ratings on them but how are they really being enforced?  I have not once seen a kid try to buy a game who looks young but get carded.  They need to enforce the ratings, otherwise why put them on there!

Oh and whats the difference between a young kid being excited cause he slit a throat in a game, or a kid being excited at a gruesome throat slit type kill in a horror movie?  Either way they probably shouldnt be witnessing either if they are too young, hence the reason why we rate things.

Last edited by jmh314 (2007-06-19 19:59:38)

Well for this something new about ManHunt 2 being banned is definitely not a surprise to me one bit. Look what happened when the first one was released. It got yanked off the shelves so damn fast that it was hard to find it and then they put it back on the shelves once again. I seen this coming since the first news that they put out about this that it was going to be coming out.

In  banning this they create a monster of their own making because far more people become interested and want something because of the notoriety of a game or film etc.  The BBFC have practically flipped the switch which has given life to it.  Yes, the fans of the game and the company which has produced it will already have the buzz but now it will spread.  No matter how many do-gooders and righteous bastards come out on the streets with their pitchforks and burning torches the monster will still break through and become a hit.  Why?  Because there is always blood pumping life in horror and gore and the thirst for it will never cease.

or, Kruz, more ratings like PNW - Pussies Not Welcome or GFA GORE FREAK APPROVED just like the comics code any game worth its salt like this would have the GFA stamp on it.  But then again that would work in a world where in which we were allowed to view what we wanted....i reallly hate, hate and twistedly, sickeningly hate the idea of someone else who determines what i am allowed to watch or play.

At the end of the day this game is for adults only and so children shouldn't be on it, if they are then it's the parents fault

JMH to anwser your question there is a huge difference between performing an action in a game and watching it on your tv. With a movie you can detach yourself from the violence because you didn't cause it and your not being rewarded for it. In the game you have to make a consious decision on how best to kill your next victim. I love the idea of it but I know when the game stops and reality begins, some younger people may not be able to have that distinction. I agree with you guys, enforce the ratings and then we don't have a problem. I guarentee you that there will be at least one story of a parent buying this game for their child without doing their homework and getting pissed off due to content. Seriously people watch the hell your kids are doing and stop blaming the product for your stupidity.

I don't know about you guys, but this news makes me want to play "Manhunt 2" even more.

ill always remember the first game when your sneaking up on the guy in the shitter and you have to distract him by tossing a head into the window.i threw it in and ended up popping him right in the face with that severed head -priceless moment tongue

All I know is come July 10th it doesnt matter what it's rated because I will be playing it on my Wii and killing people in some of the most brutal fashion.  Can't wait.

And for those of you who didnt see my post on here about a great article about the Wii version of this being the definitive version of this game, scroll down, find it and read it.  That article got me so pumped.