Topic: Manhunt 2 Gets AO

Only a short time ago, Fearless Leader posted that Manhunt 2 is now banned in England for content.  This is of course a big problem and now Rockstar is facing big problems here stateside.  The ESRB (the MPAA of video games) has slapped it w...

Read More : Manhunt 2 Gets AO

Re: Manhunt 2 Gets AO

Damn......oh well, not gonna be able to stop me from enjoying this....I am just sad they will probably have to delay it cause I have been waiting for this title since it was announced for the Wii

I dont give a fuck Im buying this game!!! Ill kill those bastards at eb games if they dont give it to me!!! I dont give a flying fuck I want it Adults only hahahaha my kind of game

You know it's the exact samething what happened to the original game. It got banned but it didn't stop anyone from buying it or finding it also. It just wanted kids and adults to want it even more.

BlackDeathDamien wrote:

You know it's the exact samething what happened to the original game. It got banned but it didn't stop anyone from buying it or finding it also. It just wanted kids and adults to want it even more.

There is a difference between banning it and AO ratings though.  The first game was never banned in the US but it was very limited.  After the controversy died down, you could find it everywhere.  But with the sequel getting an AO rating, it means many retailers will NOT carry it.  Most stores wont carry an AO rated game, just like most stores dont carry NC-17 movies or X movies.  The AO rating I think will make things more difficult than the banning.

Last edited by jmh314 (2007-06-21 18:39:45)

This will get released in the states, censorship is bullshit over here anyhow.  Adults only means 1 thing to me; EVEN NASTIER!!!

I have seen some stores carry NC17 (such as the massive SHOWGIRLS box set thing) movies and so maybe a few isolated realiters or spots in the city might have this if it is AO.  Best chance at getting an AO game would be online.

sony have said that there not going to sell an AO game though, thats the problem

Stores like Walmart and Target have already said they ill not carry any AO rated game.  Also both Sony and Nintendo have released statements saying there is no place for an AO rated game on their consoles and will not allow release of this game it it keeps an AO rating. As a result Take Two and Rockstar have announced the game has been officially delayed to figure out what they are going to do.

Here is a statement from NIMF- the National Institute on Media and Family about the AO rating and delay of shipment.

"Take-Two's decision to temporarily suspend distribution of Manhunt 2 is a victory for parents and children," the statement reads. "Because of the their thoughtful decision to give Manhunt 2 its strongest rating, 'Adults Only,' the ESRB has sent a strong message to Take-Two and other game makers that they no longer can push the envelope on gratuitous violence in videogames. The ESRB showed real leadership in assigning this rating and further evidence it is making significant progress in keeping extremely violent and graphic materials out of children's hands."

I have a problem with this statement for 2 reasons....First of all, a victory for parents and children.  Isnt that what M ratings are also meant to do: kept out of children's hands too???  For those who dont read the small print M games are for "content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older".  AO games "have content that should only be played by persons 18 years and older" So M game is 17+ and AO is 18+.....whats the difference?????  The NIMF is excited because this is staying out of kids hands, but M ratings are basically the same, except one is 17+ and one 18+.

Second thing I dont like is that NIMF has not even played the game and based it off the trailer.  FOr those who dont rememebr the trailer didnt have much gameplay footage and wasnt any more violent than some games trailers..  I find that hipocritical since they havent even looked a tthe game and are ripping it a new ass.

Last edited by jmh314 (2007-06-25 14:35:22)

I definatly agree with you jmh314.  You definatly cover what every gamer who likes red stuff in their game feels.  Its called Being A Responsible Parent.

Its the parent's responsiblity to see what their kids are getting.  Because unless you are an irresponsible parent who doesn't look at the box for the title and rating for the game your kid wants to buy or rent, then you're not that responsible of a parent.

Also its the responsiblity of the person at the register at the store to ask for the buyer's drivers license if your kid can drive by themselves and goes to the store.  Its the law that they do.  And I am sure that the parent is gonna be asking about what you got and sooner or later find it.

I am all for a Rating system in games and believe there are many that young audiences shouldn't play....but its the parents job to police what thier children get.  Its not the responsiblity of Rockstar, Take Two, Acitivsion etc. to be looking at what YOUR child rents.

if any of you dudes want to sign a petition for manhunt 2 then you can do so at www.petitiononline.com/4manhunt/