Topic: Playstation 3 reduction :(

Tragic news y'all!

I just read that the number of PS3 consols ready for launch has been cut to about 400,000 from the original two million.  Sony states it is because of the number of blue laser diodes (whatever that is).  Still, hopefully they say they will get a million units out by the end of the year in the USA.

Though, the release in Europe has been delayed till 2007.

Upside, 80% of those shiped will be the 60GB $600 dollar version and 20% will be the 20GB $500 dollar version. 

The news sucks but at least Sony is still trying to get as many units out before Christmas as they can.  All I can say is I am waiting till next summer to pick one up, by then the price should go down to the original prices.  Cause of the delay lord knows how much folks on Ebay will be charging.  I recall seeing a 360 going for nearly a grand.

So, are the hardcore Playstation fans here gonna wait or get in line at 8am two days before the game comes out in hopes of getting a system?

Here are the places I saw the info:

Shipment Slash:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/730/730814p1.html

Ratio:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/732/732060p1.html

Offical Word from Sony:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/731/731032p1.html

Last edited by thegoldensimatar (2006-09-13 06:13:19)

Re: Playstation 3 reduction :(

I don't plan on waiting. I have a 360 and I am happy with it for now. But I know that ebay is going to be a gold mine for some people this christmas like last year with this kind of news.

If I find a PS3 I might buy it just to sell on eBay.. But for $600 I would rather buy a new computer.. I'm waiting til they drop the price to at least $300 before I even contemplate buying one..

according to sony they will have enough for the US and Japanese market and will be shipping no units to the UK. That is how they intend to have enough. The specific reason is they dont have enough blu-ray components.

http://www.game-reviews.ca/news_1333.htm

sony sucks i was anlways a sony guy i got the first ps and it broke got the seond and it broke and got an xbox and that didnt break so my eyes are on the 360 fuck the ps3 ill stick to xbox

Yeah that is what I heard too Meh.

I haven't always been a Playstaion person.  Nintendo N64 was my first console and it wasn't till Medal of Honor hit Playstation I changed.  I've had my PS2 since the launch...so I am steadfast Sony guy.

I just have too many PS2 games to make it worth my while going to 360 when Dead Rising is the only game I am interested in for it and there is only about 2 or 3 Xbox games I would want.

I'm sticking with PS3 as it is a more powerful system and I will wait for my PS3.  Gonna start saving up for it smile.

My first consol was the first Nintendo.  I played games on it like Duck Hunter and Super Marios.  I then got a ps, ps2, and an X-Box.  I like them both, but I prefer ps2 for its graphics.  I'm sticking with the playstation series.  Plus, I have a lot of games for both but my games for ps2 ranks out.

Yea your X-Box never broke probably because it was the next gen higher. As technology has improved so have its longevity. Its not really fair to compare an X-Box to a PS1..

I've never liked X-Box personally. They've never had any games that have enticed me enough to buy the system. Also add to the fact that your just putting more money into Bill Gates wallet. The only game for X-Box that has held my interest is Dead Rising..

I was a big Xbox hater till I finally played one. Then I bought one and now... for the most part all games I like to play tend to be cross platform. There are only a few titles you  can only get on one of the systems and there are not usually the ones I care about. If I can't get the game I want to play on Xbox immediatly usually if you wait it will be released later or you play it at a friends house.

sickf**k wrote:

sony sucks i was anlways a sony guy i got the first ps and it broke got the seond and it broke and got an xbox and that didnt break so my eyes are on the 360 fuck the ps3 ill stick to xbox

Yes Microsoft is known for releasing reliable products that never cause discourse, oh wait no they're not. In fact there have been widespread reports of defective 360's which MS claims is limited to a small number. This personally happened to a friend of mine and since he had his for just over the warranty he had to pay $180 for it to be repaired. That is ridiculous. There is also a supposed class action lawsuit, but I doubt if it will ever get off the ground. Here is a link to an article in PC World. In MS’s defense, the complaints have tapered off, so they probably fixed whatever the problem was.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12384 … ml?RSS=RSS

As for PS3, preorder one, sell on eBay, take profits and buy The Beyond. It's genius.

I wanted to add a disclaimer:
Microsoft sucks, but I love my modded xbox.

Last edited by Greg (2006-09-13 12:11:24)

that happened to ps2 systems too greg and they all cant b winners but the same thing will happen to ps3 and ur crazy if ur gonna pay 600 bucks for a game system

You are right, Playstation even had a recall on a certain power adapter because it could catch on fire and burn a hole through the Earth's crust or something like that. You also see it all of the time when a new line of cars comes out. So to single out one company for producing a shoddy system is a little harsh, they all suck at first. (Insult does not apply to Nintendo)

As for the price, you have to look at what your getting for the money, for some people it may be worth that much for a game system and a blu ray player. Personally, I don't see myself getting one for another few years. But then again, I am cheap.

$600 is an assload of cash to spend on a video game system, I am a video game freak i own any system you could think of, But i ve never spent that much on a video game system and i don't plan on ever doing so. As far as systems fucking up the one that comes to my mind is Sega's Dreamcast (Awesome system, But alot of ppl that has had one has had bad luck with it) But still Sega was the shit i wish they where still makeing systems.

thank u it is alot of money and look at wat ur getting on xbox just bout the same shit as ps3 except for the blu ray and some of the other things that ps3 has and ps3 graphics are about the same as xbox

I am gonna wait till next summer when I have the cash and I will build up my points for some serious discounts.  PS3 definatly is an awesome system imo with MGS4 and some others rumored or coming up.  Plus I can play my PS2 games on it.  Be stupid to pay $500 for a 360 that I only want 5 games for that and reg Xbox and they can't play PS2 tongue

Dreamcast looked like a great system...but it just came at the wrong time, like only a little while before PS2 was announced.

Haha the only game I like on Dreamcast was House of the Dead.  Although you have to buy an extra gun controller its still worth it.  My favorite arcade shooter game.  I wish the movie had been better.

I still have all my consoles and games that I bought over time, and pull out old games every now and then.
I have nintendo's  sega's sony's and I'm waiting for the price to way down on ps3. If I have to I'll get  a used one next year, cause I'm sure not paying anything like what they're asking for it.

Skip it and pick up a Wii. I hear it will be under $200 and it will have a great selection of all the old school titles plus future releases. 3rd party support is going to be much better this time around also I heard.

Thats the console that was called Revolution wasn't it? I haven't heard much about it.

http://wii.ign.com/

All you need to know.  IGN is a great videogame website.

Yea I'm getting a Wii at launch.. I think the one thing that is going to save PS3 is the blu ray player.. People are going to buy it simply because of that alone. It will be the cheapest Blu Ray player on the market.. But I think the next gen will be owned by Wii.. Both Wii and PS3 are much better than 360.. Microsoft blew their load to early..

So the Wii will be backwards compatable with the GC. It should be too.
I don't have the GC but I think I will get a Wii cause theres games I want that are on the GC but not on other consoles.
Ya the Wii at launch then PS3 next year when/if  theres a big price reduction.

Interesting way of putting it, but I agree.  I dont have much interest in getting a Wii.  I dont know to much about a Blu Ray player so it doesnt interest me that much.

Skip backward comp with the GC on the Wii. That system is going to play NES, Super NES, N64, Genesis, Turbo Graphics... and who knows they might even add more of the old school systems before launch.

I am afraid of the Wii controller. The possibilities for sports games sound fun if not injury inducing. But I can't imagine using that to play a mario game.