Topic: My kinda guys..

Actor Lee Marvin fought at Iwo Jima, was wounded and was awarded the Navy Cross only higher award is the Medal Of Honor. Marvin said His Sergeant was the bravest man he ever knew, standing in the middle of fire directing his men to safety, His Sergeant and he were lifelong freinds His name was Bob Keeshan, you would know him as Captain Kangaroo.
On another note, a U.S. Navy Seal, combat-proven in Vietnam with over twenty-five confirmed kills to his name. Master in small arms and hand to hand combat, able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat, a man who wore long sweaters to cover the many tattoos on his forearm and biceps. None other than my childhood hero Mr. Rogers. After the war Mr. Rogers became an ordained Presbytrian minister vowing never to harm another human being. Dedicating the rest of his life to trying to help lead children on the right path of life:)
My kinda guys.

Re: My kinda guys..

I come from a military family and my hats off to these guys. Lee Marvin is a great actor and person. Mr. Kangaroo, well who doesn't know him, lol.....I grew up watching him as a kid.

Cheers!

Thanks dead, I didn't know any of that.  They're my kinda guys too.

Great American Heros that will never be forgotten.

they don't quite make them like they use to.

Seeing as though I am a child of the 80's I loved Mr Rogers.  When I found out a few years back about his SEALS training and being a pretty hardcore killing achine in the past, my jaw dropped.  Its a lot different than the shoe tossing, make-believe visitng tv show host I grew up loving.

HOWEVER:  These stories of him and his military history are completley false.  There is a nice article on Snopes about this and several other theories about him that are urban legends.
http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp

Also his wikipedia bio also states how many things baout him are urban legens including his "military background"

Snopes also has an article dispelling some of the Lee Marvin and Cpt Kangaroo facts including that Lee Marvin was not a Navy Cross recipient, and a statemenr from Keeshan saying he never saw any action because he joined after we dropped the atomic bomb.  Neither of the fought at Iwo Jima either.
http://www.snopes.com/military/marvin.asp

Last edited by jmh314 (2007-06-25 08:22:59)

The Epitome of Fear wrote:

Great American Heros that will never be forgotten.

amen