Topic: Another Sickening But Sad Story

It's just not regular sick people who are out there, but sport athletes can be sick too. Once i saw and heard about this story, it really made me upset. This is about what happened over the weekend and earlier yesterday to WWE professional wrestler Chris Benoit.

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. -- WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and son were found dead Monday. Authorities told ABC News that the deaths are being investigated as a possible suicide and double homicide.

Pro wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and 7-year-old son were found dead in their Georgia home.

Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department said the three were found at their home about 2:30 p.m.

Pope said autopsies on Benoit, his wife Nancy, and 7-year-old son Daniel were scheduled for 10 a.m. on Tuesday. It could be weeks before there is a result.

Benoit had missed several appointments over the weekend, leading some concerned parties to ask police to do a "welfare check," Pope told ABC News. The WWE reported on its Web site on Monday night that friends received several curious text messages sent by Benoit early Sunday morning, prompting VP of Government Relations for WWE, Inc. Richard Hering to contact Fayette County sheriffs on Monday and request they check on Benoit and his family. When sheriffs arrived at the home, they found the wrestler, his wife and their son dead.

Detective Bo Turner told television station WAGA also said that the case was being treated as a murder-suicide, but he said that couldn't be confirmed until evidence was examined by a crime lab.

The station said that investigators believe the 40-year-old Benoit killed Nancy, 43, and Daniel over the weekend, then himself on Monday. The bodies were found in three rooms.

According to Pope, there were no signs of gunshot wounds or stabbing. Authorities are not ruling out other causes, such as poisoning, suffocation or strangulation.

"The details, when they come out are going to prove a little bizarre," said Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard, according to The Atlanta-Journal Constitution.

Pope told ABC News "the instruments of death were located on scene," but would not specify what those instruments are or where in the house the bodies were found. Pope added the department is "not actively searching for any suspects outside of the house."

The house is in a secluded neighborhood set back about 60 yards off a gravel road, surrounded by stacked stone wall and a double-iron gate. On Monday night, the house was dark except for a few outside lights. There was a police car in front, along with two uniformed officers.

Benoit was a former world heavyweight champion, Intercontinental champion and held several tag-team titles over his career.

"WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family's relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy," the federation said in a statement on its Web site.

Benoit was scheduled to perform at the "Vengeance" pay-per-view event Sunday night in Houston, but was replaced at the last minute because of what announcer Jim Ross called "personal reasons."

Benoit, a Canadian native, maintained a home in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the defunct World Championship Wrestling.

The WWE canceled its live "Monday Night RAW" card in Corpus Christi, Texas, and USA Network aired a three-hour tribute to Benoit in place of the scheduled wrestling telecast.

"My relationship with Chris has extended many years and I consider him a great friend," Carl DeMarco, the president of WWE Canada, said in a statement. "Chris was always first-class -- warm, friendly, caring and professional -- one of the best in our business."

Re: Another Sickening But Sad Story

I was informed of this via text message by a friend who I used to watch wrestling with back in High School.  He still keeps up on it and recently has ha dme watching again too.  When he first told me I thought he was joking, but unfortunatley he was not.  It is a very sad story and your heart goes out to members of the families effected.  This just goes to show you no one, not matter how famous or popular they are, is immune to personal problems.  We sometimes forget that just because someone excels in the spolight doesnt mean they continue excel out of it.  This is a very sad to for family, friends and fans.  RIP Chris Benoit & Family.

This is very sad I was watching this last night my fiancee was a big fan of wrestling..my prayers go out to the family..

One of my all time favorite wrestelers...  We have lost so many greats in such a short time and now this.  I'm just a bit numb right now trying to soak it all in.

Tragic.  sad

That's really sad, I always liked him as a wrestler. Maybe if he would have gotten some help. Who knows.

That is just so sad.

I thought i was the only wrestling fan here. I actually first started watching him when he was back on WCW. I first found out when i went to wwe.com and then when the 3 hour special came on, i while i was watching it, you had Vince McMahon explain everything like how it was supposed to be the demise of him and the said how the entire arena was filled to capacity and everyone had to leave. I feel really sorry for the rest of the family and friends who have to deal with this now. Chris Benoit was one of the greatest wrestlers around. He will be greatly lost. R.I.P.

Last edited by BlackDeathDamien (2007-06-26 11:26:09)

This just in: Authorities are saying that Chris Benoit had strangled his wife, smothered 7 year old Daniel, and hung himself on Monday.

whao...thats so sad sad

tragic... i feel for his family

I wonder what the exact reason why he would do that, or why anyone would do that. As soon as i found out about this yesterday afternoon, it hit me and it still is hitting me.

i was never really into wrestling, but its still really sad

Back in the 50's a cat got stuck up a tree and the whole neighborhood was genuinely concerned for the welfare of the cat.
Here we are in 2007 and men are killing their wives and children, killing their loved one's unborn fetus's, this to me is a huge concern on where our civilization is headed.
Where people's emotions are. Woman have a huge input on how their children grow emotionally, Father's used to guide morally. Our society now seems direction-less. Care-less our world tribe is lacking in so many ways, we are failing each other.
This is the tragic saddness of the age.

What is this world coming to?  It just goes to show that money and fame can noy buy happiness.  I feel for the rest of his family and hope and pray that his wife and son did not suffer.

Here's more news relating the story:

Authorities also said they are investigating whether steroids may have been a factor in the deaths of Benoit, his wife and their 7-year-old son who were found dead in an apparent murder-suicide.

I will never understand why you would kill your family then yourself.  Just kill yourself for gosh sakes.  A few weeks ago a lady I work with daughter's ex shot her then went home and killed himself.  She lived but will never be the same.  Why didn't he just kill his damn self.  This world is crazy.

That's what i'm saying. Why should his wife and kid suffer when he should of done it to himself. For someone to do something that heinious of a crime, he deserved to die. But it is extremely sad.

their blaming roids now. HE went pyscho crazy and killed his entire family its fucked up

Here's more of an update i just read which was from a statement earlier in a press conference:

WWE is concerned with the sensationalistic reporting and speculation being undertaken by some members of the media following the press conference held by the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department and the District Attorney. During the press conference, the investigating authorities made the following points, all of which run contrary to the media speculation that "roid rage" was a factor in the senseless murders and suicide:

1. The authorities stated that all drugs found in the house were believed to be legal prescriptions.

2. Steroids were not, and could not, be related to the cause of death (asphyxiation).  Authorities had no factual basis to speculate as to Benoit’s state of mind, and rightly did not do so.

3. Toxicology tests have not even been completed, so there is no current evidence that Benoit even had steroids or any other substance in his body. In that regard, on the last test done on Benoit by WWE's independently administered drug testing program, done on April 10, 2007, Benoit tested negative.

4. The physical findings announced by authorities indicate deliberation, not rage. The wife's feet and hands were bound and she was asphyxiated, not beaten to death. By the account of the authorities, there were substantial periods of time between the death of the wife and the death of the son, again suggesting deliberate thought, not rage. The presence of a Bible by each is also not an act of rage.

5. WWE strongly suggests that it is entirely wrong for speculators to suggest that steroids had anything to do with these senseless acts, especially when the authorities plainly stated there is no evidence that Benoit had steroids in his body, pending the toxicological reports, and that they had no evidence at this time as to the motive for these acts.

I think the worst part is any family member related to Benoit or his wife will not have answers.  He told the WWE before leaving that he had to go home for a "Family Emergency" and missed Saturday and Sundays show because of this.  Who says family emergency so they can fly from texas to Atlanta and then go on a killing spree?  I just wonder what triggered him flying home and doing this.  Something must have sparked this but we may never know.

The other thing they said is based on evidence they said the Wife was probably killed Friday Night/Saturday morning, the son Saturday evening, and himself on Sunday. So he killed the wife before the son.  And then after both were dead he didnt kill himself til sometime the next day in his personal weight room.  Kind of odd that he was in the house with his both his wife and son dead for at least half a day. Not only that but he sent text messages to fellow wrestlers on Sunday which was after the others were already dead.  They said these messages had people concerned and thats what led them to call the police for a welfare check.  Maybe those messages can shed some light on the facts.

Oh and a side note, the wife's wrists and feet were tied up when they found the body.  It was also stated that a bible was found by both his son Daniel's and his wife's bodies.

Last edited by jmh314 (2007-06-26 23:34:11)

jmh314 wrote:

Not only that but he sent text messages to fellow wrestlers on Sunday which was after the others were already dead.  They said these messages had people concerned and thats what led them to call the police for a welfare check.  Maybe those messages can shed some light on the facts.

The time line and text messages released by WWE:

On Saturday, June 23, Chris Benoit was slated to appear at a WWE live event in Beaumont, Texas. That afternoon, Benoit contacted WWE to inform them that his wife and child were ill, and that he would not be able to attend the show.

WWE executives rebooked Benoit’s flight for the following morning, allowing Benoit to miss the Beaumont event making alternate arrangements for him to attend the pay-per-view event in Houston on Sunday.

WWE employees attempted to confirm with Benoit his travel plans but were unable to contact him.

Early Sunday morning, between 3:51 and 3:58 a.m., Benoit sent five text messages to co-workers:

Text Message 1 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:53am)- Chris Benoit’s cell phone
“My physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane, Fayetteville Georgia. 30215â€

Text Message 2 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:53am)- Chris Benoit’s cell phone
“The dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is openâ€

Text Message 3 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:54am)- Nancy Benoit’s cell phone
“My physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane.Fayetteville Georgia. 30215â€

Text Message 4 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:55am)- Nancy Benoit’s cell phone
“My physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane.Fayetteville Georgia. 30215"

Text Message 5 to one co-worker (sent 6/24 at 3:58am)- Nancy Benoit’s cell phone
“My address is 130 Green Meadow Lane. Fayetteville Georgia. 30215â€

Throughout the day on Sunday, WWE made numerous attempts to contact Benoit both at home and at local hospitals in the Atlanta area. As of 11:00 p.m., WWE officials were unable to establish contact with Chris Benoit.

At 12:30 p.m. on Monday, June 25, WWE officials were notified of the text messages sent to the co-workers the previous day. By 12:45 p.m., WWE had contacted Fayetteville County Sheriff’s office requesting they check on the Benoit family.

Fayetteville County Sheriffs office made contact with WWE at approximately 4:00 p.m. advising that they had entered the house of Chris Benoit and found three deceased bodies – an adult male, adult female and a male child. WWE was told that Benoit’s home was now considered a major crime scene.

The decision to cancel the live event scheduled in Corpus Christi that night was made between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. In keeping with company policy, and with limited knowledge regarding facts of the case, WWE choose to air a memorial dedicated to the career of Chris Benoit. As facts emerged surrounding the case, all tributes to Chris Benoit were removed both on-air and on WWE.com.

This statement was just posted today on wwe.com with more of the death's unfolding more:

WWE.com learned from an interview conducted Tuesday by Vancouver’s News1130 that Chris Benoit’s son Daniel possibly suffered from Fragile X Syndrome, a genetically passed-on condition that results in impairments ranging from physical and learning disabilities, to more severe cognitive or intellectual disabilities.

In the interview with News1130, Pam Winthrope, whose own 12-year-old son suffers from Fragile X Syndrome, recounted how she and her husband talked to Benoit about the condition five years ago.

“We talked to him because I was trying to set up a support group in B.C. and in Canada; we only have a couple of them,† she said. “My husband was struggling when we got diagnosed with our son, and Chris was struggling with his. They talked for a few minutes, and then he said he didn’t want to be a public face for Fragile X. He just wanted to keep it really, really quiet.â€

A source close to Benoit recalls similar conversations with him, where he described his son’s condition as “a learning disability much like autism.† This source quotes Benoit as saying “Daniel wasn’t capable of interacting with other children and was afraid of other children. Daniel also had a hard time making eye contact with everyone, which was another symptom of his disability.† Benoit also claimed that his son was on medication for this condition.

Winthrope discussed the pressures facing parents of children diagnosed with Fragile X syndrome. During her interview with News1130, she stated that families can be torn apart by the disease because it's very difficult to find help and support. Winthrope added, "You as a parent have to go out there and find what's available and it's not easy -- they don't tell you."

A co-worker and long-time friend of the Benoits speculates that perhaps the pressures of home and Daniel’s illness had gotten to him, causing him to snap and take the lives of his wife and son before taking his own.

“Is it possible that after Chris killed Nancy (for whatever reason), he felt Daniel wouldn't be able to get the care and attention he required as a special needs child (if that is indeed true) with no mother and a father either in jail or dead? Did he then decide that the only way he could protect and take care of his son was to take him to the next world and go with him?  In his warped and twisted state, did he think this was the only way to shield his son from a difficult life of pain and hardship? It doesn't condone or justify a damn thing, but it's the best reason I can think of.  I'm trying to put together some semblance of logic for his actions, but it's an impossible task trying to explain this.â€

Last edited by BlackDeathDamien (2007-06-27 18:10:25)

damn that sucks....

Here's another very strange and odd update on Chris Benoit and his families death:

In a strange twist to the already macabre story of wrestler Chris Benoit's death, it's being reported that the first post saying his wife Nancy was dead was made to Wikipedia 14 hours before the police discovered her body in their suburban Atlanta home. What's making the story even stranger is that the IP address has been traced to Stamford, CT, which is the corporate home of the WWE.

This is so strange.

What it means is, either Benoit had some sort of access to the WWE computers remotely, and updated his Wikipedia page before killing himself, or someone at WWE knew about the murder, and took the time to update the Wikipedia page before contacting the authorities. Either way, it's bad mojo. When we get to the bottom of this whole thing, how much would you like to be it's going to be sticky, nasty, and unsatisfying.