Re: DEADLANDS: The Rising

Hey guys we gotta winner. I really enjoyed the movie. Theres nothing like some homegrown zombie horror to brighten your day.. By the way.. PLEASE do a sequel. That ending killed me, luckily I was following this thread before I saw the movie...

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_reviews_2157.htm

Man, now I really want to see it.  Just don't have the cash right now to get any more DVDs.

Great review Goon.  I cant wait for this flick either.

Goon, thanks for the great words.

The sequel is already in pre-production and I am meeting with the city on Monday to go over the script and what roads I will need to use and what parts of the city I want to film in for DEADLANDS 2.

Once I get everything prepared. I am going to put out a mass zombie casting call and anyone who wants to drive to Maryland can be in the sequel.

Cheers

Dj

Yea I really like how you guys took over parts of the city for the shoots.. I mean I don't know why more independent productions like yours do that.. Its adds so much to the movie.. Not to mention it looks really bad ass when you got zombies just running around in the middle of it all..

sounds like i should probably be checking this flick out. I will do a news item on this film with the trailer sometime today since it hasnt been done yet and post your offer DJ for readers at HM.ca to order it early.

Cool thanks Meh,

goon wrote:

Yea I really like how you guys took over parts of the city for the shoots.. I mean I don't know why more independent productions like yours do that.. Its adds so much to the movie.. Not to mention it looks really bad ass when you got zombies just running around in the middle of it all

Thanks man. It was actually one road which we shot at 5 different angles and just moved the cars around to make it look huge, but that stretch of road is just over a 1/4 mile long.

I wish more indies did the epic look like that. Since none of them do, I said to my producers... I want to make itlook bigger than what it really is... Some of the crew responded that it may not be the best idea as it might come off wrong, but we pulled it off.

There are a few things I would like to reshoot, but other than that... I am happpy with it.

Oh yeah before I forget...

The issue with the phone. When i come through the door and tell them what i heard on the radio was meant as Landline Phones. I wanted Cell Phones to work on and off. I actually had to cut a scene from the film which showed Cell Phones were still working early on. I cut the scene because it was kind of hokey. I was hoping people would understand what i had meant by phones when they see other people on cell phones... Oh the Land Lines are out, or it must be hit or miss with the phones.

So I take blame for that screw up. i guess from watching the film so much in editing I knew what it meant. However, in the context of the casual viewer I can see how this can be mistaken.

Last edited by DjfunkmasterG (2006-09-21 15:04:35)

Ha.. yea don't sweat it.. it didn't really ruin the experience for me.. Still a great homegrown flick. Something I think alot of independent filmmakers should watch to see how to make their movie look like they had a much larger budget..

I also have to say that buying that crane was probably one of the best moves you guys took. I've seen some other filmmakers try and create that shot by standing on top of a van.. Doesn't work. I think you used the budget you had to the fullest. Your next project should be even better because you already have the tools..

If I could say anything about improving the flick throw some more gore in it.. Do some more up close FX on the zombies. Alot of zombie fans love that stuff.

Meh wrote:

sounds like i should probably be checking this flick out. I will do a news item on this film with the trailer sometime today since it hasnt been done yet and post your offer DJ for readers at HM.ca to order it early.

Cool thanks man.

Until the article gets posted you can guys can get the DVD early by going here

www.playingwithdeadthings.com/BUYDEADLANDSDVD

Horror-Movies.Ca gave it an 8 out 10 (Reviewed by Goon)

From what i hear this film is supposed to be awesome. When i get the money together I'll try and order a copy.

UPDATE ALERT:

Ok I spoke with Wayne the Festival Director at IT CAME FROM LAKE MICHIGAN FILM FESTIVAL.

DEADLANDS: THE RISING WILL HAVE 2 SCREENING FRIDAY OCTOBER 20th 2006

4:00 pm - Memorial Hall Racine Civic Center Racine Wisconsin
12:00am - University of Wisconsin PARKSIDE Auditorium

Contact Wayne Clingman for more info
wayne@itcamefromlakemichigan.com

Mention DEADLANDS in the Email and get your tickets EARLY. Pre-Sale tickets are available. Also contact Wayne to wish them luck, this is a first festival for him, and hell, mention deadlands as well.

Also, I will be at the Festival with my own table Friday and Saturday only. Selling DVD's to the crowd.

Hope to see some of you there.

For those curious, the DVD sales have been good. We have been offering the first 50 signed by myself and some of the cast and 30+ are already sold. So we have about 17 copies left for the signed copies.

Remember the DVD costonly $15.00 ($13.00 + $2.00 S&H)
Feature Film with 2.35:1 Widescreen 16:9 enchanced
July 2006 Trailer
Director Commentary
BTS featurette with Producer Brian Wright.

visit www.playingwithdeadthings.com/BUYDEADLANDSDVD

I will give you guys a report about the festival when I get back. Once I arrive and check things out I have to be ready for the first of the two screenings on Friday, and a possible third showing on Saturday.

Last edited by DjfunkmasterG (2006-09-29 09:20:25)

Tonights podcast will have Deadlands in it. We will try to remember to mention that its on sale and that their are still 17 autogrpahed copies available. Very least it will get a review in tonights podcast.

Goon talked in some detail in this weeks podcast about Deadlands. For those who have not seen our coverage and would rather download and listen to our thoughts on Deadlands and indie filmmaking the podcast is now available.

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_6620.html

From Goon's review and the chat in the podcast, this one sounds even better.  Cant wait to check it out.

yeah goon gave it high praise in the podcast.

I too own the film and completely agree with most everythign said in the review.

Also, Goon, glad you really liked the throat tear effect and the zombie makeup after it, that was one of my jobs on the set (along with my co-owner christian)

http://www.spaghettiindustries.com is our makeup website if you'd like to check it out.

I loved the podcast. it was truly amazing. I think reviewing films in podcast helps the written review even more. It allows a group to talk about a film as opposed to one person's view. I liked the written review, however the podcast discussion was awesome because everyone was feeding Goon questions which helped him discuss the film in more detail.

Great Job Guys. I know the guy from IT CAME FROM LAKE MICHIGAN is happy he was mentioned.

Oh, BTW, the budget was $14,985 ($15,000) When i heard $25,000 my producer and I started laughing. I said if I had $25,000 I would have paid to get more detail in blowing up the city.

glad you enjoyed the podcast. The intent is to cover as much as we can without focusing entirely on the mainstream.

Very cool.

BTW Guys i just made a Deleted Scenes page. The first clip is more BTS/ and Deleted combined showing me beating the snot out of my MUSTANG GT for a shot in the film. The scene was meant for another part of the film that was deleted, but the last part of the clip that is in 2.35:1 is the scene in the movie. The rest are alternate takes/botch takes.

This was originally meant for a scene when my character and another were fleeing from looters. Although the looter confrontation scene was shot, the evading and eluding sequence wasn't completed.

Anyway, enjoy

http://www.playingwithdeadthings.com/DELETEDSCENES.html

I ordered Deadlands last night from that link you posted Dj. Can't wait to get it. Hopefully theres still some signed editions left.

Fulcifan91 wrote:

I too own the film and completely agree with most everythign said in the review.

Also, Goon, glad you really liked the throat tear effect and the zombie makeup after it, that was one of my jobs on the set (along with my co-owner christian)

http://www.spaghettiindustries.com is our makeup website if you'd like to check it out.

Yea I liked the effect it was really good looking. I hope you guys keep up what your doing and definetly keep learning more. I'm glad you guys all dug the podcast. It was a lot of fun and I hope to do many more..

DemonToSome wrote:

I ordered Deadlands last night from that link you posted Dj. Can't wait to get it. Hopefully theres still some signed editions left.

Thanks.. smile

FYI Everyone,

I have 8 signed copies left. Those of you whom ordered... I shipped your DVD's early. So you will be getting them in the next 5-10 days. (US 3-4 Days). So everyone knows I am throwing my release date out the window and shipping the DVD's As soon as I get your order through paypal.

If you don't have paypal you can send cash or a  Money order, Amount $15.00 USD (US Dollars) this will cover the DVD and shipping. Send it to

WETNWILDRADIO Films
c/o Gary Ugarek (Make money orders out to me)
143-D Watkins Station Circle
Gaithersburg, MD 20879

If you send cash conceal it inside a letter with where you want the DVD shipped. Make sure you don't forget to tell me where to ship the DVD. Cause if I just get a money order an no shipping info, I won't cash the money order and of course cannot ship the DVD.

Thanks

Last edited by DjfunkmasterG (2006-10-04 12:55:07)

dj if you have a clip of the film send it over, and we will add it as a featured video. Just has to be a couple mins long and something cool.

BTW we just made Fangoria.com

http://fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2876

Awesome congrats Dj.

I also really dig the screenshot they chose.