Topic: The Black Dahlia(2006)

Is it just me or was any one else disappointed in this film The Black Dahlia starring Josh Harnett, Hillary Swank, and Scarlett Johansson?

I thought this movie was just terribly boring and confusing at times. The film was mopre about the lives of 2 detectives than it was on the death of Elizabeth Short.

I watched this film the other night for the first time and felt I was robbed.

Anyone else feel this way?

Last edited by RIP (2007-07-13 10:25:38)

Re: The Black Dahlia(2006)

I think it depends on what you are expecting going into the movie.  I felt the same way about Summer of Sam, but I went in expecting it to be about the serial killer.  Instead, it was all about the people in a neighborhood.  I was very disappointed in it.

However, I knew this one was going to be about two detectives and have very little about the killer in it, and I rather enjoyed it.  I was confused a little throughout the movie but I felt it all came together well in the end and sorted things out.

I HATED this movie.  I went to sleep 1/2 way through and have not had the desire to finish it.   

it should have been really cool, but i don't think it was.

I was expecting more of it, being a big fan of James Ellroy's novel on which it was based.  But Brian DePalma has always been a hit or miss director IMO, and this one was a huge miss.  He and the script's writer just choked the life right out of this thing.

Still, I think Hillary Swank's hot (I've got a thing for chicks with square jaws and I don't know why) and Erin Eckhart (sp) does a great job as Lee Blanchard, though his death and its circumstances differ drastically from the book. 

But Josh Hartnett was just WAY wrong for the role of the main cop, Bucky Bleichert.  How he and his "smell the fart" acting ever became so popular, I'll never understand.

Man.. for a second I thought this thread was for Uli Lommels attrocity of the same name.. That film has to be 100X worse then this one.. Consider yourselves lucky if you haven't seen it..

I saw both films... They both SUCKED, but nothing can be worse than Uli's.  Goon's right about that.

Goon wrote:

Man.. for a second I thought this thread was for Uli Lommels attrocity of the same name.. That film has to be 100X worse then this one.. Consider yourselves lucky if you haven't seen it..

I almost rented this film but now I'm glad I didn't rent Lommel's flick.

Consider yourself LUCKY.

I liked it, I was aware of the book and how it focused on the two detectives so I wasn't suprised it was like that in a movie. I think it paid off in the end.

Goon wrote:

i saw this one goon!....soooooooooo bad!!!!!!!!

I fell asleep while watching De Palma's movie.

this movie sucked...I sat there like WTF? hmm

Anyone try Ramzi Abed's version/vision?

MissKatonic666 wrote:

Anyone try Ramzi Abed's version/vision?

What's that?:/

Yes, and believe me -- De Palma's Black Dahlia looks like Citizen Kane in comparison.  None of these recent Black Dahlia flicks have been worth half a damn.

Ulli Lommel made a Black Dalhia film but I haven't seen it cause everyone says it sux.

Yeah, man, pass on it.  You'll thank me later.

LoudLon wrote:

Yeah, man, pass on it.  You'll thank me later.

Cool, I will lol.

You know there ought to be a really good film based on this horrific crime though but they all seem to suck and the killer was never found like Jack the Ripper was never caught.

This is a new indie art house type story.  It stars Kristen Kerr and has Lizzy and Julie  Strain, Trent Haaga, Masuimi Max, even Robert Williams (any art lovers?).  I will NOT state whether or not anyone will like this film as it is geared towards a specific taste.  Very artsy, strange with some twisted images.  I WILL say that I liked it a lot better than the other choices. 

Ramzi is also a pretty cool guy making the festival circuit right now plugging this film. If you get a chance, have a beer with him.  Interesting conversations may result.