Topic: Bryan Loves You Shuts Out the Press

Bryan Loves you is a film we have been covering here since day 1 and now comes news that they are going to be shutting out the press with a gag order to not release anymore information on the film.
After several recent sabotage efforts by protestors...

Read More : Bryan Loves You Shuts Out the Press

Re: Bryan Loves You Shuts Out the Press

Just plain weird if you ask me!  Wait nobody ever asks me anything...

that is pretty odd

Ah, but you forget that we have a small circle of writers that we always trust; Goon and Horror-Movies.ca scribes included. cool

In fact -- here's some info that I'm only writing here, albeit very preliminary info at that. Was in touch with the higher-ups at Shoreline over the past few days and they're targeting 3 fests in particular at which to World Premiere "Bryan". They all take place in Oct.. So this week I've been working on getting Shoreline all of the materials they need from me to present the movie to these fest committees. 

That gag order release you dug up (good job, btw) is meant for 90something% of media. I'm on the boards here and I think of it more as a group of friends than "doing business", so not to worry. Y'all will know what's up with "Bryan" (which is my life these days and has been for the past ... oh 2, 3 yrs). Just the way that I am, tho, is I don't like saying names until something is finalized (which is why I don't wanna list the fests Shoreline is aiming at). Just like during preprod we don't release info on actors who *might* be included in the picture. Because if they drop out, to me, it would be embarrassing to say "whoops, nevermind, not gonna happen." Altho one actor in particular who *was* real close to being in the picture was Ken Foree (which I've mentioned on these boards before). The only reason why I mention Ken is because he's such a nice guy and I really feel like he'll be in the next one. Aren't many actors I'm confident enough about to talk like that.

And that's da latest ...

Thanks for the post Bly!  It's good to know that film makers care about their fans.

Fans = only thing that matters. wink

Fans buy the dvds and fans make the sequels viable. I had a feeling my article would lure you in here smile You have a great advantage over alot of other filmmakers at your level in that you have made friends with a large fan site and are getting well known here. That translates into an instant market for you if your film has legs and if its liked!

I believe Goon said the film was fantastic which right there is a gold star for the film.. or if you like a bloody dagger. Keep in touch

Thank you for posting this update on the current situation regarding Bryan Loves You. cool

yep what Meh said. I wanna see this movie!!!!

Bloody dagger ... please. Let's keep it horror-appropriate, eh? lol

Thanks, guys. And Meh, I hear ya. But there's a hugely important idea beside the sales/rentals/etc. from fans. I think writers write things (movies, songs, poems, etc.) to connect with people. So yeah, while it would be nice to eventually make money off making movies, the imperative thing is that you're connecting with people. Like for me, music and movies have always been there for me and those are what I've related to mostly thru the years. (I'm a huge fan myself of so many movies/music.) And so if you're the creator, you do it because you want people to relate to what you've made.

I've never bought that bullshit "I make movies (or songs) for myself" line that some artists use. You make them for an audience. And if you're making them for yourself, you shouldn't be distributing them in the commercial marketplace; you should be showing them to yourself only. Granted, when you make something, it's with your taste -- but you better hope you have a taste of what at least a segment of the public wants. If you make something and people aren't moved by it, if they don't care about it, if they don't feel anything while watching ... what's the point?

In short: you feel like anyone who gets your movie gets you. And hence the connection. The ultimate outsider-looking-in gratification. And that to me is why zee fans are the most important part of the art. big_smile

Yea this kind of reminds me of something HG Lewis said.. I don't know the exact words but it was about making films to entertain. If they don't entertain the audience then whats the point?

Heh I was curious as well when I saw the article that Meh posted.. I hadn't recieved anything from Jeff and thought where did he put this out? Good to know we are a part of the "IN" crowd.. big_smile

Yeah, it's good to hear we're not shut out.  Thanks for keeping in touch, BLY!

Yeah, Jeff put that on the general wire for his own reasons. But it has nothing to do with the "circle of trust" sites, if you will. You would've heard from him or me if it was directed at ya. cool Back to zee work ...

thats why i got it cause the bastards have no love for our much larger sister site MoviesOnline.ca tongue

Not that I'm going to go on there, but I didn't realise you had a sister website Meh.

I don't think BLY will be able to answer this question, but I've noticed with some horror films in recent years that a soundtrack hasn't been released for them. Are there plans for a soundtrack for Bryan Loves You? I'm just an ordinary member of the public. There's no hidden reason behind me asking.

That's totally cool, WC. Anybody can ask anything -- any question is respectable. I'm sure every prod has its reasons for releasing or not releasing a soundtrack.

With "Bryan", it's hard to say because much like the cinematography, our sound design is very unconventional. Because the movie is supposed to be ... er ... IS real, one watching is not supposed to think it's a movie. So all music (there's plenty of it) is blended into the scene and it's all created by our composer (Dan Newman or as he likes to be credited by the badass "P. Daniel Newman" cool). Whether there's even enough elongated tracks by Dan for a CD, tough to say. My guess is "no" but I might be wrong.

I do love picking bands/songs to be placed in movies (it was one of my fave parts of making my first movie "Take Out"), but to me it's always more appropriate in a comedy or action or drama. To me, outside music isn't necessarily *scary*, and that's the main drive of a horror. Of course there are examples that contradict that theory. But at least for "Bryan", we wanted to keep it real, so all music is "score" (think "Star Wars" -- all music in those is score, too).

Interesting. Thanks for your detailed answer. cool