Topic: My new ZOMBIE FILM project - The Escape (Shooting begins Sept 2007)

Well, I am starting a new zombie film. after many months of taking a breather and trying to get Deadlands 2 made I said screw it and decided to do something else for now. Some Virginia based indie filmmakers want to put together a zombie-anthology project. Bascially, 5-6 directors will make 15-25 minute short films based in and around the zombie genre. I just finished the fourth and final draft of my Project... The Escape.

The premise is about 6 people stranded at a movie theater on the night a chemical spill turns the towns residents into zombies. The zombies are similar to my Deadlands zombies in that they will run, but they will also have a few new twists as well, which I don't want to talk about as it will spoil it for everyone. Once the project is unleashed I think it will be more enjoyable.

The entire films budget is about $2500, of which I am rpoud to say I am not financing. Feels good to do something I am not coming out of pocket on, but if need be I am willing to invest upto $1000 more to see it finished.

Here comes the fun part... We will be filming on weekends starting late September, and the filming will last approximately 2-3 weekends. The location is the same movie theater that Deadlands premiered at in Hagerstown, MD. So for 3 weekends we have complete run of the theater.

Cast & crew calls -

All of the original Deadlands crew is involved in Lonnie Martins Women's Studies at the moment, and I am in need of a few good people. I have put up a list below of what I need and if you are interested or know someone interested please have them email me at the email addy at the end of this message.

DP - Yep need a director of Photography:
The project will be shot on a DVX100B I have lighting, gels, and a meter for them to use. Also avilable is a pod and 9ft crane.

Lighting Grips - a few people to help the DP make some things move a little faster and smoother.

Production Asst's: As many as I can get.

Sound Tech/Boom Operator - The sound will most likely be recorded directly into the DVX100, but anyone that can help spruce up the sound a bit would be great.

Make-Up Technicians - Need some make-up techs to do some of the zombie and gore pieces.

ZOMBIES - Always need zombies

Female Lead - (24-29) White Female Blue Collar type name is Shelly

Female Supporting (18-23) White Female Works int he theaters box office, answers to Casey (Girlfriend of male character Chris)

Female Bit Part (911 Operators need 2)

Female (Child) Escape from her parents turned zombie Has minimal speaking lines. Age should be (7-10) Picturing blonde hair in apony tail, but pretty mcuh any decent child actress can get this part.

Male Lead (Chris) Already Casted Actor Chris Clark of Pasadena, MD

2nd Male Lead (Sean) (Age 24-29) As I worte the character I had someone who has the look and build of Hollywood actor Josh Duhamel (http://imdb.com/name/nm0241049/) in mind.

Male Supporting (Jack) (age 24-29) Jack is frineds with Shelly and Sean and has been attacked by the zombies. His friends are trying to get him medical help and they ran to the theater hoping to find some

NOTE: - I have 8 hours to shoot each night Fri, Sat, and Sunday. We will meet at the theater at 8pm and begin setting up. The last show leaves at approximately 10:30 and we have to be out at 7:00am so they can clean the theater for the next business day.

If any of you guys are interested or know someone who can fill a position please email me at theescapemovie@yahoo.com

We are going to be scheduling a screen test very soon, I will post info on it once the dat and location are set.

Crew and cast positions are of course unpaid, but a very hearty meal will be served each night of production and I am trying to work out at least a gas stipend for the key crew needed.

Re: My new ZOMBIE FILM project - The Escape (Shooting begins Sept 2007)

This sounds great, man!  I wish you the best of luck!  smile

i would suggest submitting this as news as well.

yea sounds awesome keep us informed on it.

If I lived any where near you I would be there but being in CA makes that one hell of a drive. Good luck and I am looking forward to picking up the DVD when it drops.

Meh wrote:

i would suggest submitting this as news as well.

Tis submitted

I wish I lived near there. I want to be zombie tongue
Best of luck on your film and getting your crew and actors.

Damn it! I also want to be a zombie! Too bad I'm really far away. Anyway, glad to see that you have more opportunities to do what you love.

Things are starting to come together more. I have some of the make-up personnel lined up as well as the casting process under way. I have received tons of resumes and head shots from some very experienced actors and actresses.

Have been talking to a couple of DP's and I am starting to sway into the realm of shooting this in HD. Although nothing is set in stone on the HD front, it does look like a viable option.

I have just made the first deposit of half the films budget into the film account, and I am in talks with the local town counsel about getting some help from the police and fire department. I will keep you guys posted as I go along.

Cast Announcements shall be by August 15th 2007. Complete crew announcement will be by August 31st.

Sounds alot like Demons meets Night of the Living Dead.. I'm looking forward to it man.. Wish I could help out but alas don't live in the area...

It definitely references Demons, the movie theater setting does that, but Goon let me tell you, if this comes off as I hope it does it will make Deadlands look really pathetic. I have never been so psyched about a project man... Even Deadlands 2 doesn't have me this excited. Not to sound like some conceited shit heel, but this is going to be my fucking Dawn of the Dead. I want the audience to watch this film and go HOLY FUCK play it again. I have been so engrossed in this project I actually had a zombie dream the other night and the last time I had a zombie dream was when I had seen return of the Living Dead when I was 14.

The thing I am really eager to shoot is the zombie stuff. I am telling you these mutherfuckers are going to be brutal. These won't be the I can't help it I am a zombie type zombie... these bastards are just evil from head to toe. This is going to be a very new twist on the undead... I have seen a lot of zombie films and I never really had seen any zombies this evil before, so I am amped up to shoot these sequences.

The other thing I making sure is done right is casting. I am taking so much time in finding the right cast because I want the audience to connect with these people on a personal level. I am trying to work closely with the make-up FX group and make sure no stone is unturned and Brian Wright, my producer and co-actor from Deadlands and I have been talking non stop about this since I turned in the final draft last week. The production team behind this are really pushing for this to be ass stomping good. There was even talk of expanding it into a feature, and I originally started re-drafting for a feature, but then backed off because it was dragging down the original short screenplay, but after spending a few more days working things out in my head I decided to try to expand it again and see where it flows from there.

GOON,

Check your email box... I sent you a present. big_smile

Will we get a glimpse to your new car in "The Escape"? Hehe.

Ahh my early Christmas present! Ha.. You guys are gonna dig this one.. I just got done reading the script.. The ending is gonna fuckin rock.. BTW Fuck the Police! lol

Kruz wrote:

Will we get a glimpse to your new car in "The Escape"? Hehe.

Heh yea its in there..

Hey goon,

sent you some of that info you requested.

Dj

UPDATES -

Some casting choices have been made for the new flick. We auditioned 24 people on Saturday August 11th 2007 and during that audition I had found 5 potentials and one who I gave a part too on the spot. Today i made the calls to some of the potentials.

As of Today the cast so far is:

Chris - TBD
Casey - ASHLEY YOUNG
Sean - TBD (Tied between 2 actors)
Shelly - CORRINE BRUSH
Jack - TBD
Little Girl - ALEXA DAVIDSON
State Trooper - LEE TANNER

I will list the rest of the cast by Thursday. Once the cast is completed I will put edited versions of their Auditions online for everyone to check out.

Last edited by DjfunkmasterG (2007-08-12 12:56:36)

can you post behind the scenes pictures? This sounds so kewl!!!

as soon as we start filming I will post behind the scenes picks for everyone.

Another cast addition.

Actor Josh Davidson, who has been in the Invasion as well as having his spine torn out in Deadlands 1 will be joining the cast for my new flick. In other news...

Investors are beginning to step forward to pump much needed cash into the budget of The Escape, now called Trapped. I am taking the next week to expand the screenplay even more to include sequences that I know I didn't have the budget for the first time around... now Trapped we easily be a feature film as well as a short. The original scripted version of trapped will appear in the Zombie Anthology project, then 6 months later the extended cut will be unleashed on the public.

H-M.CA's very own Goon has read the original screenplay for Trapped... so he knows what is in store for the short version... the extended screenplay will be kept under wraps once it is completed.

Gary

Last edited by DjfunkmasterG (2007-08-12 17:01:52)