Re: Versus(2000)

OK, now I *have to* rent or buy this after reading this thread ...

^Don't rent it. Go out and buy the Ultimate Versus right now. This very second. That's the only version you need to own.

I love this movie, I first saw it at the Fantasia film fest years ago. I like how it starts out like a mafia revenge thing and bizarrely turns into zombies and samurai fighting...

that one "mafia" guy is fricken weird. hes always grunting and making a fool of himself.. i didnt really understand why he started growling and crawling around like a dog? any ideas or is he just a fucked up character lol

Ok so in my recent search for movies that I want to review that have yet to be reviewed on our site, I stumbled upon the fact that no reviews for Versus existed.  So I used this as an excuse to pop in and enjoy this great film and write a review while it is fresh in my head.  Here it is: http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_reviews_2965.htm

After you reminded me about Wild Zero aka Guitar Wolf I decided I had to get a copy so just picked one up from ebay. Yet another bargain. Yippee! so I definitely will play these as a double feature Cheers!

I too have the two disc special edition.  What a great acquisition this was...  Zombies, martial arts, etc!  GIGGIDY!!

Ok so I had to dig up this thread cuz I just watched Versus last night for the first time and OH MY FREAKING FUCKING GAWD it's WICKED!!!!!!!!! 

I think its safe to say that I'm totally in love with Tak Sakaguchi!!!!!  Holy hell he's fucking HOT!!  He's like a young sexy Jackie Chan doin all his own stunts!! Like he couldn't go to hollywood and make a damn fortune smile   

Other than the hotness the movie also ROCKED!!  The plot was cool but it was hard to figure out for a long time.  A friend of mine in the states sent me this movie cuz he was cleaning out his dvd collection....so now i HAVE TO thank him cuz i'd never even heard of 'Versus' before.

I'm glad I got that outta my system smile   *phew*

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

Two Disc special edition??!!  WHERE WHERE WHERE?!!!!

I can't believe I missed this thread.  Surv turned me on....then he gave me this movie a while back and it's hilarious.  tongue

I love this movie

I enjoyed this movie very much.  I actually double dipped with it when the special edition came out.  I first rented the movie through netflix.  The next weekend I was buying it.  Then I didn't hesitate when the special edition came out.  I've got a friend who seems to like it when special editions come out because I'm always giving away my old copies to him.  This is a movie I especially like to throw in at parties.  I know it is subtitled, but with the crazy action going on in the movie I think it is a great back drop for any party and people do question me about it.:)

It's got a rockin soundtrack that does not relent. I have an old chinese bootleg from 6 or 7 years ago that I will not give up.

For all who have yet to buy it or already bought this, the version you seriously need to buy and own is the 3 disc set that comes in a steelbook. That's the only version that matters. All the other versions are obsolete.

moviemaven wrote:

I can't believe I missed this thread.  Surv turned me on....then he gave me this movie a while back and it's hilarious.  tongue

I love this movie

ahhh yeahhh baby, wikka wowww...

never saw the 3 disc version, i have the original version that came out ages ago, i first saw it on bootleg and had to get it.

survivalist wrote:
moviemaven wrote:

I love this movie

ahhh yeahhh baby, wikka wowww...

never saw the 3 disc version, i have the original version that came out ages ago, i first saw it on bootleg and had to get it.

You can actually get the 3 disc set over at Best Buy for only $24.99.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp … id=1604765

Dvd Features:
3-Discs: 130 min.

New Making of "Sakigake! Otoko Versus Jyuku"
Audio Commentaries (Ultimate Version and Original Version)
Deleted Scenes
Making of (Intro) The First Contact
Original Making of Behind Versus Part 1 - The Birth of the Darkhero
New Making of Behind Versus Part 2 - Versus the Legend
Versus Side Story "Nervous 1" and "Nervous 2"
Making of "Nervous 2"
Tak, a Solitary Journey
Still Photo Gallery
Trailers
Video:

Widescreen 1.78:1 Color (Anamorphic) 
Audio:

ENGLISH: Dolby Digital 6.1
ENGLISH: Dolby Digital Stereo
JAPANESE: Dolby Digital 6.1
JAPANESE: Dolby Digital Stereo

Subtitles:

English 

The Ultimate Versus is jampacked with tons of special features that you will watch over and over again.

And here's what the packaging looks like:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media … mp;index=0

That is the one I have.  I have it displayed next to my Old Boy collectors tin on my DVD shelf.

i missed this thread too...i'm a fan of the movie aswell, it reminded me of John Woo shooting a horror film as Lon said lol and Romero & QT wrote the script

Anyways this is a badass flick cool

And Cherrie here is a link to a few different versions you can buy offline...
http://search.deepdiscount.com/search?w … =cat1_dvds

Hey Chainsaw the only version that matters like i have been saying, is the Ultimate Versus 3-disc set that comes in a steelbook. All the other versions are only 1 disc and really don't have any special features at all.

CherrieZ wrote:

Ok so I had to dig up this thread cuz I just watched Versus last night for the first time and OH MY FREAKING FUCKING GAWD it's WICKED!!!!!!!!! 

I think its safe to say that I'm totally in love with Tak Sakaguchi!!!!!  Holy hell he's fucking HOT!!  He's like a young sexy Jackie Chan doin all his own stunts!! Like he couldn't go to hollywood and make a damn fortune smile   

Other than the hotness the movie also ROCKED!!  The plot was cool but it was hard to figure out for a long time.  A friend of mine in the states sent me this movie cuz he was cleaning out his dvd collection....so now i HAVE TO thank him cuz i'd never even heard of 'Versus' before.

I'm glad I got that outta my system smile   *phew*

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

Two Disc special edition??!!  WHERE WHERE WHERE?!!!!

Here's the 3-Disc set that comes in a steelbook. You can pick it up over at Best Buy for only $24.99:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp … id=1604765

Amazon for $35.99:
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Versus-T … amp;sr=1-2

DVDempire for $29.96:
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.a … hID=290060

Yeah i have the Ultimate Versus 3 disc Steelbook.  It was my first Steelbook DVD.  Now I have about 20 of them but I think this is my favorite!

^ deepdiscount has the 3 disc version listed...but i don't know if its the steelbook since those are probably limited, did they make a 3-disc Ultimate Ed. in regular packaging(non-steelbook)?they also have 4 other versions, one is a 2 disc and not sure about the other three.

Anways, the cheapest is 13.47 and the Ultimate Ed. is 25.94.  No shipping as always with DD

i was also wondering if the short film "Nervous" was any good?

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2008-07-08 11:33:46)

ChainSaW80 wrote:

^ deepdiscount has the 3 disc version listed...but i don't know if its the steelbook since those are probably limited, did they make a 3-disc Ultimate Ed. in regular packaging(non-steelbook)? they also have 4 other versions, one is a 2 disc and not sure about the other three.

Anways, the cheapest is 13.47 and the Ultimate Ed. is 25.94.  No shipping as always with DD

All of the Ultimate Versus versions all are packaged in the steelbook. Don't look at the cheapest one b/c that won't be the one to get. I'm being dead serious. The single and 2 disc sets aren't the version to get. The Ultimate Versus is the one you NEED to own. Take it from JMH and i. Trust us. We own this version and this is the one to own. I used to have the single disc version and then when i got the Ultimate Versus, i got rid of my old version right away. Think about it. The cheapest version: 1 disc and No special features. Ultimate Versus: 3-Discs and jampacked with special features and also includes 2 shorts. Yeah. That's a no brainer right there.

Also why would you buy Ultimate Versus online when you can buy it over at Best Buy.

And if you look at the links i provided, you can check out pics to the packaging, inside and outside, also see all the special features.

And see with the 2-Disc set, yeah it has some special features, but it doesn't have anything on the 3-disc set. It's not even close.

^ i appreciate that BDD, i have the single disc version myself and i have been interested in the short film Nervous, the other special features are ok but i'm not so much into all that stuff.  But the packaging is badass, and if the version they have at DD is steelbook i will probably pick it up...but i am still skeptical since the packaging looks a little different than the picture in the link you listed from Amazon.  Here's the pic from Deepdiscount.com...

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n174/dbcombs/vesus.jpg