Re: count down to Zombie's Halloween

I know that over Myspace, there's this whole "Join the Legion of Michaels" thing going around.  Sort of like the "Hatchet Army", except less popular.

TiM the Zombie wrote:

I know that over Myspace, there's this whole "Join the Legion of Michaels" thing going around.  Sort of like the "Hatchet Army", except less popular.

Thats exactly my point.  Their martketing and promotion has been rather dull and non-existant.  3 weeks from release and a good majority of people outside of us genre fans dont even know this exists.  I have a bad feeling about it's success.....

It's funny you posted this today b/c I just asked my sister to go to opening night with me and she said "What?  How is halloween on August 31st?" She is also a Zombie fan, albeit less on top of the news, and had NO IDEA this was coming.

Since funds are limited right now due to bills, bills, bills and bills we are only going to the movies once a month.  Yes Rob Zombie's Halloween is this months pick.  The trailers have me mesmorized.  I am so ready for this and most important it comes out on payday!

Constantce wrote:

It's funny you posted this today b/c I just asked my sister to go to opening night with me and she said "What?  How is halloween on August 31st?" She is also a Zombie fan, albeit less on top of the news, and had NO IDEA this was coming.

I have ran into plenty of other people who know nothing about this project either.....it just baffles me that 3 weeks before it opens people have no clue.  I just doesnt seem like they are doing much to promote this one.  I think with a good promo campaign this could be a great success.

Yea I see your guys point but I have a friend who doesn't even own a computer who asked me about it so obviously they are getting to some people.. My guess is starting Monday we will begin seeing TV spots for the film..

iv all ready seen tv comercials for the movie... and every time i see it come on, i stop everything im doing and watch it... even though iv seen it at least a hundred times now big_smile

I have yet to see a single tv spot, poster, or billboard.  Just doesnt seem like they are doing much.

i havent seen any billboards or posters yet, though if i do, i might try to steal the poster

I've seen many TV spots and what not.  No billboards or posters, though.

Well quite frankly its freakin HALLOWEEN! They don't need much advertisement for a movie like this.. Most kids just show up at a theater on the weekend and check out whatever looks good.. I mean look at Grindhouse.. That had a MASSIVE marketing approach to it and flopped hard..

^ I disagree.  In this day with the box office being the roller coaster that it is, I'd market the hell out of Halloween.  A lot of people may not know about it, may be turned off by other shitty remakes, or may not like Zombie's previous films.  So you need to market to everyone to get them ready and make their interest build.  Plus you need to suck in the huge origional Halloween fans who are completely turned off to the remake.  I just think they have too many people they need to get on board still in order for this to be successful.  Look at the TCM remake.  They marketed the crap out of that and it only took in $28,094,014 opening weekend.  Yeah thats good, but I think Halloween could be much better if they promote it.  You cant just bank on a films title anymore to get the job done.

Last edited by jmh314 (2007-08-10 18:10:11)

Maybe its like Chocolate. You don't even have to advertise it 'Cos people will buy it and try it anyhow. I have to concur with the comments of others I have faith in Zombie but remakes are so miss and miss, with only the occasional bullseye too rare, to mention. But still get them (for the most part) as I live in hope. So lets hope that this outdoes the original, in style and scares.

Heh I can't believe you just downplayed $30 million dollars on an opening weekend for a HORROR movie.. Lots of people just don't watch horror films.. They just don't like them and won't see them bottom line.. Like musicals for me.. I never will see one..

The TCM remake was considered a huge box office success. Most mainstream audiences don't even know the directors or what previous films they have done. I'll go back to my friend who asked me about it.. He didn't even know Rob Zombie directed it. Directors to people outside of the hardcore fan base just don't matter in most cases.

You also forget that most people have very short memories if they aren't huge fans. I know that Zombie will be all over Conan, Leno and Kimmel the week before it opens. They still have three full weeks to market the film. Advertising to early on can cost more than they really need to spend.. Minimize spending and take in more cash..

I never said TCM wasnt a success, i just said I think if promoted the right way Halloween could be bigger.  And for every friend who doesnt know Zombie directed it, there may be someone else who does know he did and wont see it because of that. 

And you are right, maybe minimizing spending on promo will help it bring in more cash, but why not throw in a little more after already spending around $20 million to make the film.  Is it really gonna hurt that much to throw in a little more to reach out and try and pull people from outside the normal genre audience?

Last edited by jmh314 (2007-08-10 20:24:51)

Thats the thing! Everyone knows Halloween.. Its not like just a horror movie. Its in the freakin national archives.. Very few people don't know of the film Halloween and is exactly what they are banking on..

But I mean yea more marketing is always a good idea. I'm just trying to provide some insight into what most of these suits are thinking. I've seen so many marketing campaigns and press releases that I know for the most part what these guys think they can do..

Also let me let you in on a little secret.. The Weinsteins have no fucking clue on how to market a horror film..

Or any film for that matter.  lol

yeah....I was wondering when I was goin to see some T.v spots, and soon as I got home sure enough I saw one. I think they are bein smart, the last thing you wanna do is advertise for a month before a movie comes out. It loses all its power then and your almost tired of hearing about it.

i agree with that boyd... iv seen some movies that were advertised a long time before they ever came out and after 3 weeks of seeing it, i was so sick of it i really didnt want to see it any more. it starts to get on my nerves

I could never get tired of anything that has to do with the Halloween series.......I'm a huge fan.

What if Uwe Boll or Eli Roth did a remake?

i just watched the origional again around 2 this morning, and it completely made me remember why i love it. i really hope Zombie can get that same feel to the movie of michal stalking everyone before he actually goes on his slaughter-fest. if he can pull that off, i think it will be good.

i have faith in Rob i loved House and Rejects but Michael looks sooo bad ass and scary soo i think hes gonna bring us a reborn of the original stalker

^ Tyler Mane, the new Michael, is, per the aforementioned R.M. article 6 '11  - that is awesomely badass.

and - here is a direct quote from Rob Zombie in the interview:  "To me, the perfect family gone bad is like, meh, whatever."

very curious use of word, there... meh...

Last edited by Constantce (2007-08-11 14:23:39)

TiM the Zombie wrote:

What if Uwe Boll or Eli Roth did a remake?

Then everyone in the world would commit suicide.:P