Topic: A Tale of Two Sisters

I would like to take the time to mention what I think is the best Asain horror film around: A Tale of Two Sisters.  it is an extremly tense, atmospherical film that plays out more like dark poetry than a movie.  It is one of best cinematography efforts you will ever see in a horror film and relies a lot on sound effects and music to set a creepy tone.  If you have never seen it get out and see it before they ruin it with the upcoming american remake.  For those who want to read more of my thoughts on it, check out my full review. 
http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_reviews_2663.htm

Re: A Tale of Two Sisters

thanks jmh for another great review. "tale" is on my top ten also. its one of those movies i go straight to when we have company over and someone says "lets watch a movie". it never disappoints.

haha, you understand where I am coming from at the end of my review saying rewatch it with first timers and just watch the experssions on their face.  Never fails to create some good expressions!

I also noticed Rosemary's Baby in your top-ten.  Good to see some other people recognize how great that film is as well.  I think it is often overlooked in the ranks of horror films.

Easily my favourite Asian horror film.

Good to hear N2N.  Other ATOTS fans are alright in my book!

this is one movie iv been wanting to see for some time now, but i havent been able to see it yet. sad

jmh314 wrote:

I also noticed Rosemary's Baby in your top-ten.  Good to see some other people recognize how great that film is as well.  I think it is often overlooked in the ranks of horror films.

Rosemary's Baby has always impressed me with its build to impending doom w/ no FX (unless you count the goat head mask) and no gore. Rosemary's paranoia and crawl to madness feels so plausible and legitimate that it makes me worry about real evil in the world.
i do love the in your face blood, guts and gore of a lot horror flicks. but sometimes less is truly more like in the case of Rosemary's Baby and A Tale of Two Sisters.

hybrid moments wrote:
jmh314 wrote:

Rosemary's Baby has always impressed me with its build to impending doom w/ no FX (unless you count the goat head mask) and no gore. Rosemary's paranoia and crawl to madness feels so plausible and legitimate that it makes me worry about real evil in the world.
i do love the in your face blood, guts and gore of a lot horror flicks. but sometimes less is truly more like in the case of Rosemary's Baby and A Tale of Two Sisters.

You hit the nail on the head there Hybrid.  Thats exactly why I have a love for Rosemary's Baby as well as A Tale of Two Sisters.

Another one that I haven't seen yet, A Tale of Two Sisters, really gotta get that one.  I agree with both of you on Rosemary's Baby, great movie.  The feel of the movie is intense without all the gore, just watching what she is going through.  Still creepy and scary to me after all these years.

Never been much of a fan of Rosemary's Baby.. Don't know it just never really made much of an impact on me.. It reminds me of the same thing with The Exorcist.. Neither film really lives up to the pedestal that so many people put them on.. But I do have to say that A Tale of Two Sisters is by far one of my favorite Asian films of all time..

Two Sisters was terrible. The plot was slow and didn't really make any sense. I will not get into that as to not ruin for those who haven't seen it, but I didn't like it.

There was one really creepy scene when the guests were in the kitchen though.

One of my favorite asian horror films.  I love it.

Greg wrote:

Two Sisters was terrible. The plot was slow and didn't really make any sense. I will not get into that as to not ruin for those who haven't seen it, but I didn't like it.

There was one really creepy scene when the guests were in the kitchen though.

I've come across a lot of people who say they dont get it.  Granted, I have been confused with many Asian horror films, but this isnt one of them.  Guess I just dont know what is not to understand

i have seen this movie a while ago. it was great, i must remember to pick up the DVD

I just ordered it - can't wait to watch it.

i think youll like it Tina. do you know what version is comming? mine is the "bloody" cover.

I do think that is the one.

I really do wanna find and see this movie.

RIP wrote:

Maybe if by some chance Couture is able to win today this can be your DVD from me.....but seeing as how Gonzaga is the man, I doubt that will happen.

jmh314 wrote:
RIP wrote:

Maybe if by some chance Couture is able to win today this can be your DVD from me.....but seeing as how Gonzaga is the man, I doubt that will happen.

I feel lucky today.....one of my buddies just called me up and bet me $40 on it and I have Couture and St. Pierre in that fight lol.:P

I just got the 2 disc dvd in the mail dvd of this film from jmh and can't wait to watch it this weekend.

Its a great flick.. One of my favorite Asian films.

ATTENTION SPOILERS:

Ok I am confused at the ending to this last night. Did Su-mi really kill her sister or did the mom hang herself and the closet really fall on top of Su-yeon and suffocated her? Why is Su-mi so messed up......cause she feels guilty that her sister died or that she herself murdered her?

Also, what is up with the dead woman who looks like she drowned?

The last 20-30 minutes of this film was comfusing.

And that girl who was having a seizure on the floor saw a dead girl under the sink?:/

Yeah, "ATOTS" is definately a film that needs a couple of viewings to fully sink in.  Somewhat like "Audition", in a sense.

Mine finally came in the mail today - yea!  Can't wait to watch it.  Also got the Dead Next Door because of TiM and dead's recs.  big_smile