Re: A Tale of Two Sisters

Tina12312 wrote:

Mine finally came in the mail today - yea!  Can't wait to watch it.  Also got the Dead Next Door because of TiM and dead's recs.  big_smile

make sure you let us know what you think. im looking forward to hearing your opinion on "tale"

I have to say that I thought it was very ingenious, really enjoyed it.  I do think I need to watch it again just to see how everything fits after knowing the ending, but I loved it.

I still wished that someone could explain the ending to me correctly cause I am still confused at the last 20 minutes of the film.

**** Spoliers ******

This is from Wikipedia
Explanation
The film's fractured narrative and severely unreliable narrative can make it difficult to piece together, and several key plot elements go unexplained. The narrator is Su-mi who is later revealed to be mentally ill and therefore dubious in her account of the story.

Though we are led to believe in the beginning that the main action of the movie is a flashback being told in the interview to the doctor, it in fact proceeds mainly chronologically; the "day" the doctor wants Su-mi to talk about is the day her mother and sister died.

The narrative is further confused because Su-mi hallucinates the presence of the stepmother and sometimes imagines that she "is" the stepmother. Thus, when it appears the father gives pills to Eun-joo, he is actually giving them to Su-mi; the stepmother's bizarre dinner behavior is actually Su-mi trying to act like her stepmother. This is further proven when Su-mi, Eun-joo, and Su-yeon all begin their menstrual periods on the same day. Su-mi's guilt over Su-yeon's death leads her to make instances where she must protect her sister. Su-mi kills the bird to provide her imagined stepmother with a reason to kill her sister, thus allowing her and Eun-joo to come to the film's climax of conflict between the two. It is also debatable as to whether Su-mi is really hallucinating the presence of her sister, or if she is interacting with Su-yeon's ghost (Su-yeon's actual ghost does seem to make an appearance at least once or twice in the film, although these appearances could also be explained as being hallucinations). The tent that the brother and his wife drive by in the road is nothing more than a tent set up by harvesters and is a common sight on Korean roads in the country. There are many unexplained elements in the movie, but fanatics of the film note that this is true with many Asian films and is one of the main reasons for its popularity; the viewer can make his/her own decisions about what exactly happened. There is a fear among fanatics that if there is an American remake, a concrete explanation will be presented and therefore detract from the film's ambiguity.

i hope that help

Thanks alot Bassi for that excellent explanation, I appreciate it.:D;)

One thing though, is that suppose to be Su-Yeon's ghost hiding under the sink that the woman who had some sort of epilepsy attack saw? The ghost is all wet looking which made no sense though.:/

RIP wrote:

Thanks alot Bassi for that excellent explanation, I appreciate it.:D;)

One thing though, is that suppose to be Su-Yeon's ghost hiding under the sink that the woman who had some sort of epilepsy attack saw? The ghost is all wet looking which made no sense though.:/

i didn't understand that aswell but i read The girl under the kitchen sink. It is most likely that this is the ghost of Su-Yeon, since the girl wears a green dress that we see Su-Yeon wearing in a photograph.

This is from Wikipedia aswell

Tina12312 wrote:

I have to say that I thought it was very ingenious, really enjoyed it.  I do think I need to watch it again just to see how everything fits after knowing the ending, but I loved it.

i figured you would like it and yea it does take a couple of viewings to fully wrap your head around it.

^ it definately needs a few viewings to let it all sink in and let your personal ideas on the ending come full circle.

I finally saw this film the other night and it didn't disappoint.  Can't wait to get this on Blu-ray when/if they release it.  I'd say it might be one of my top 5 horror flicks.  Have to give it a second viewing before I state that tho.