Re: Indie Film Poll : What Makes a Movie Worth Watching

This is a really hard question because to be honest, every choice listed is important in a film.  When I watch a movie, I'll usually be looking for the previous.  I think thats the great thing about filmmaking is that how each different aspect of the film is put together to create a kickass movie thats worth watching.  I thought it was very cool that you guys went over it in the podcast.  I really enjoyed listening.

good to hear tim, all feedback on the podcast is important it will help us decide if its the last one or the first one smile

I'm not the biggest fx person if the story isn't well written. I mean the story has to make sense.

its so nice to see im not alone in wanting a good story and reasonable shooting.

I had to go with the story first, which to me includes dialogue.  Followed by directing.

I'll use the Star Wars prequels as an example:  The overarching storyline wasn't really that good.  George Lucas gave us a slave child in the first one, who didn't seem to care that the Jedi were taking him away from his mother, and a whiney adolescent in the the later two.  Despite that there were still some moments which were good and some which could have been good, which were ruined by terrible dialogue and a wooden delivery.  Natalie Portman and to a lesser extent Hayden Christian are both fine actors, but if you have a bad director and a bad script, and a bunch of George Lucas yes men, well you see the result....Was anyone truly convinced that the two of them were in love?  It's too bad that I wasn't, because I truly wanted to believe it.  I think there's good reason why Empire is widely regarded as the best of the six.

Of course, everything else that goes into making a film (cinematography, acting, gore, etc,.) is vitally important, as well.  But I think if you can see the passion involved in making the movie, and the script is well written it's easy to overlook one or two of these things...so long as they ain't too terribly bad.

I agree with most everyone here.  In my opinion, gore is the lowest on the list.

Last edited by sMart (2006-10-20 00:01:31)

Well depending on the feeling, if you are trying for a serious piece, if you have a decent script you can work with below-par actors but still have something bareable to an extent. So that's my first choice.

If it doesn't care about feeling "indie" then cinematography can be avoided (though with a variation of simple handheld cams you can get a fairly good quality anyway especially with decent post-production attention).

Directing and FX come equally second for me, because we all KNOW the shit that uses the "boo!" tactic at obvious moments with the sound off. I'm counting directing as in storytelling too here I should say, so a decent director can edit a film to hide it's faults/accentuate it's good points. The FX have to be good though, the filsm with the awful appliances and crayola blood just ruin everything. Imagery doesn't have to be used so much, you know that's included with direction, don't do a Romero and showing all the carnage if the stuff looks rubbish.

Sound comes up third even though that is the dominant factor in mood and progression.

Depends what you want really, hokey is easier than serious on so many levels.

Hey guys,

This is a great poll and conversation, and i can say that yes, film makers should read this forum.

Being a film maker (still not comfortable calling myself that yet) i think its great to see that i'm not crazy in my thoughts that a shit load of hard work, a great script and decent acting are strong footholds towards a decent movie.

To me, a movie is kind of like a car... you need an engine (director), a shell (script) and wheels (actors) to even get moving down the road.  If built well with care and thought put into it, the car should last a long time and built up a great reputation.  Now, after you have the car built, there are accessories that you can add to make your car more appealing; a nice stereo (sound), power steering (cinematography), HID headlights (lighting), a hot paint job (fx).... and on and on....

My moto for my upcoming short movie is crap in = crap out, so i'm putting everything into this short, even though its only 15 mins long i've already invested close to 8 months. 

I'm going to print these two pages and keep them pinned up as a reminder to stict to a good script, have decent actors, use other shots than just the tripod or hand held shots, have a great score, and springle on the gore sparingly and in the right spots.

thanks for the great post!

Good answer.  That's kind of like what I was saying, in that, all of the poll options should be used together to create one kickass movie.

TiM - exactly.... you can't neglect any one area..... but you also have to know which is more important and which ones can add more value than others.

I went with FX/Gore. I gotta great kills and gore in my films especialy in the gaillos. There is some bad acting in films but as long as the gore is good I like them.

For me to enjoy a film it usually has to have at least a capable director. Writing I think is the second most important but just look at a film like "The Woods", which had a script that really went nowhere and was over long. With Lucky Mckee though he's a strong enough film maker that the film was watchable at the very least. The only time I think that Gore or FX can be more important than directing is in exploitation films. But I think most horror fan would agree that the best films are when they do it all.

i went with the writing. blood ang guts are great, but without a solid story line, the movie may suck.  acting is 2nd.

I think you don't the best acting to create a good movie although it may depend on what kind of movie you're doing. Gore and SFX are the least important of the list, after all it's the scares not the shock factor that really matter. Cinematography and directing should be higher on everyones list (my ignorant opinion) because those thing could really make a mediocre film into a great one. At last but not least, I don't think that the musical score matters that much; it creates an atmosphere but I could easily be done with ambient sounds (well, maybe not that easy). The thing about musical score that really pisses me off is the modern films in which they use a crappy wannabe-metal band to make the film a badass one.

Oh yeah, an another important thing: T&A. big_smile j/k

writing and driecting are the backbone of any film imo. everything else can fall in line w/ a dir. with a strong vision for the story. a strong dir. can bring out preformances in actors  i would never expect. (ex. david carradine in kill bill) as much as i like carradine tarantino brought out a carreer highlight preformance in him imo.

acting cause a good actor can bring you right into the movie..expressions of fear, or emotion that seems natural is good acting. FX, Gore..also seems inportant..as does plot obviously..its more than one thing that makes a great movie.