Topic: Going Under The Knife

I have to have ORAL surgery, which is going to take 6hours to complete. Needless to say I am absolutely freaked out. I figure the best way to get over the freaked out bit is to talk about it.

So yep I am having 6hours and $8,000 worth of surgery done on my mouth. I have a serious phobia of the whole thing and doing this is my way of overcoming it in a really big way. Wish me luck guys. And if anyone wants to pay my medical bill feel free to smile

Re: Going Under The Knife

Make sure that Corbin Bernsen from The Dentist who be working on your teeth lol.:lol:

Think about it this way Meh, at least you didn't accidentally shoot yourself in the chest earlier this summer like I did with my stupid pistol and had to be airlifted to a hospital and be there for a week and had a 5 hour surgery.

My surgery alone cost $42,000. My airflight was $13,000. The other stuff was around $15,000 to 17,000. But I have good insurance with Blue Cross/Blue Shield so they paid for 80% of it but boy did I learn a lesson........don't fall asleep with a loaded pistol on your chest, lol.:lol:

Last edited by RIP (2007-08-16 16:46:08)

yeah i have 0 insruance so its coming 100% out of  my pocket. This kind of surgery is a major phobia of mine but i think the best way to build myself up for it is to discuss it . I went in for a pre-exam today and it went pretty good so im not feeling to bad.

Meh wrote:

yeah i have 0 insruance so its coming 100% out of  my pocket. This kind of surgery is a major phobia of mine but i think the best way to build myself up for it is to discuss it . I went in for a pre-exam today and it went pretty good so im not feeling to bad.

Well I don't have dental insurance and I had to have a root canal done last year on me which was like $1500. Dentist make a killing on their patients. But not to worry, they knock you up with some good medicine and you won't feel a thing.

I have had oral surgery before and it is painless up until the gas wears off, I would take a couple pain pills before you get home.

Good Luck smile

Thats sucks. Good luck Meh

Damn Meh!!!! I'm sure that everything is going to go according to plan and you'll pull through. I can see where you're coming from with the phobia but don't you worry, nothing will go wrong. But i did see on a special where doctor's accidently leave there tools without knowing in patients while performing surgery. But anyways, i got good faith in you that you'll pull through and by the time it's over with, you'll be alot better. So god speed, Meh.

I've had oral surgery before Meh, and as long as you take the pain meds and everything else they say in about a week, you'll be feeling more like yourself.  But let me give you this advice, if they try to just give you the tylenol with codeine, tell the doctor that you want another prescription for something stronger in case it's not enough.  They gave that to me and it was not enough and I had about three hours of  pain waiting to get the new prescription.  I'm sorry you have to pay the whole thing yourself.  Hope everything goes very fast for you and you are relaxing and taking care of yourself at home very soon.

$8,000 wow, thats alot of moola. I have to have oral surgery soon.... actually it was suppose to be last year sometime but it's freaking me out too so I have let it slide but shouldn't though yikes.
Man I hope it isn't going to cost that much.
Good luck on your surgery day and if I win the 30 million dollar lottery I'll chip in no problem and get mine done at the same time smile

i have to have oral surgery sometime as well, my wisdom teeth are coming in sideways and they need to be taken out, i dont know when it will be done though. but anyways, good luck man, and get well soon.

Relax, man.  I've had oral surgery before and it was a piece of cake.  You'll be done in no time.

Dude.. I thought Canada had some kind of free health care thing? Well I don't know much about the healthcare system up there or here for that matter. You better be good to start drinkin when we hit up FoF!! cool

It hurts to be beautiful...
you'll be fine Meh, but ouch your wallet!!!

Goon wrote:

Dude.. I thought Canada had some kind of free health care thing? Well I don't know much about the healthcare system up there or here for that matter. You better be good to start drinkin when we hit up FoF!! cool

Yeah this surgery is considered elective so it isnt covered by healthcare. It was supposed to be done Nov 12th but last night I got the call they moved it to MONDAY. So now I hardly even have time to sweat about it.

And yes deadshallrule it hurts to be pirty lol.

Well Meh, I wish you luck buddy and btw since you won't be drinking any beer for awhile can I come over and get all your beer outta the frig.:P

haha as soon as is humanly possible i will be back on the beer fear not. smile

Good Luck Meh...I have a fear of dentist's myself ever since I was a little girl...the people who did a filling on me scared the living shit out of me and made me cry I was only 6yrs old ever since then I try my damndist not to go the dentist...I had a tooth about couple years ago and it was my wisdom tooth..

Good luck Meh. 

I remember last time I got surgery, took me quite a while to go under, so for a wee bit I was very high in the OR...:D

RaVeN71806 wrote:

Good Luck Meh...I have a fear of dentist's myself ever since I was a little girl...the people who did a filling on me scared the living shit out of me and made me cry I was only 6yrs old ever since then I try my damndist not to go the dentist...I had a tooth about couple years ago and it was my wisdom tooth..

thanks Raven. I am totally not looking forward to this. I have a phobia of dentists, and Oral Surgeons really are not better in my books. The best part is AFTER the surgery I need to go in to have my wisdom teeth pulled. Talk about a lucky week!

http://ballsandwalnuts.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/marathon_man.jpg

Is it Safe?  Is it Safe?  Is. It. Safe?  wink

How much pain you're in now determines how much pain you'll have later.  If you hurt a lot now, any post pain will be negligible.  At least in my experience.

Regardless, Good luck.  You could get THIS guy.
http://www.samtsai.com/pix/yadayada/p503.jpg

It ain't so bad...  The worst part is paying the bill and there is no prescription for that!  Remember, Pain heals, Chicks dig scars... Glory lasts for ever!

haha fortunately there wont be any scars but your quite right. to bad i cant get drugs to help with the bill lol.

hey Meh, good luck with your surgery:D

tks.. just got the phone call its all finalized, Monday is the day and who knows after Monday how long im gonna be out of it. Sounds like im gonna be awol for awhile

once the gas is in you everything will be ok. the scariest thing should be the "did i leave my pants undone when we started" moment afterward. tongue good luck and god speed on your recovery.