11,801

Re: Getting to know each other

Man I love cartoons, and I don't care who knows it. I will say I don't really watch most of the old shows I used to anymore (not to say I wouldn't, just hate DLing), but I still watch all the old movies. My second favourite movie of all time is a kids cartoon; Flight of Dragons.

New Q: If you could cut any historical figure (excluding Hitler) from history who would it be?

11,802

Re: Getting to know each other

César definitely. Dude was an serious asshole.
I'd put Caligula up there insted. lol

Re: Getting to know each other

Unsure, good or bad, this world wouldn't be as advanced as it is without many of them, but if I had to choose, it'd take careful thought.

Re: Getting to know each other

bin laden or idi amin

Re: Getting to know each other

Unfortunately if Bin Laden were removed, someone else would have simply filled the gap and nothing would've changed...

11,806

Re: Getting to know each other

Remember guys that history isn't only the last years, it's much more than that and there's lots of dudes and dudettes that needed to be put down.

Re: Getting to know each other

And for every deletion, there is creation, the future flows like the wind, nothing is ever certain, what we change now, regardless of how terrible, can potentially adversely affect us.

11,808

Re: Getting to know each other

Maybe but it could be totally wrong. What if being absorbed into a black hole a star, galaxy or whatever would just disappear forever which I'm pretty sure is what happens...

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-12-17 22:43:21)

Re: Getting to know each other

As long as I'm not in it we good, smile

11,810

Re: Getting to know each other

Theli wrote:

New Q: If you could cut any historical figure (excluding Hitler) from history who would it be?

Shirō Ishii, head of Unit 731, a WWII-era secret Japanese project which performed experiments on live human subjects.  Thousands of people were tortured and mutilated in the name of "science," all at Ishii's behest.  Worst of all, he was granted complete immunity for war crime charges after his capture by the US.  A truly evil son of a bitch.  The movie Men Behind the Sun is based on his project, but as graphic and disturbing as that movie is, it doesn't hold a candle to the real shit that went on there.

Same Q

11,811

Re: Getting to know each other

^^^
Oh yes I heard about this crazy one. Haven't seen this film though but now that you mention it I will. smile

Re: Getting to know each other

I can't recall his name, but there a WWII German 'scientist' notorious for precisely that same thing.

11,813

Re: Getting to know each other

^Josef Mengele

11,814

Re: Getting to know each other

LoudLon wrote:
Theli wrote:

New Q: If you could cut any historical figure (excluding Hitler) from history who would it be?

Shirō Ishii, head of Unit 731, a WWII-era secret Japanese project which performed experiments on live human subjects.  Thousands of people were tortured and mutilated in the name of "science," all at Ishii's behest.  Worst of all, he was granted complete immunity for war crime charges after his capture by the US.  A truly evil son of a bitch.  The movie Men Behind the Sun is based on his project, but as graphic and disturbing as that movie is, it doesn't hold a candle to the real shit that went on there.

Same Q

I heard about this, I've also heard of the film, and seen it described as one of the most disturbing films of all time. He was mostly experimenting on Chinese folk?

Also him and Mengele are tough choices. Easily deserving of death, but their research has probably saved as many lives as it has ended...

Last edited by Theli (2013-12-17 23:07:23)

Re: Getting to know each other

@Theli:

That's the one, thank you.

11,816

Re: Getting to know each other

Theli wrote:
LoudLon wrote:
Theli wrote:

New Q: If you could cut any historical figure (excluding Hitler) from history who would it be?

Shirō Ishii, head of Unit 731, a WWII-era secret Japanese project which performed experiments on live human subjects.  Thousands of people were tortured and mutilated in the name of "science," all at Ishii's behest.  Worst of all, he was granted complete immunity for war crime charges after his capture by the US.  A truly evil son of a bitch.  The movie Men Behind the Sun is based on his project, but as graphic and disturbing as that movie is, it doesn't hold a candle to the real shit that went on there.

Same Q

I heard about this, I've also heard of the film, and seen it described as one of the most disturbing films of all time. He was mostly experimenting on Chinese folk?

Mostly, yes.  But many Soviets as well.

Also him and Mengele are tough choices. Easily deserving of death, but their research has probably saved as many lives as it has ended...

I'd have to argue against this, at least as far as Ishii is concerned.  His "mission" was to test the effects of biological and chemical weaponry, but neither have anything to do with removing a subject's stomach and connecting their esophagus directly to their intestines.  Or with performing vivisections on men, women and children -- including infants -- while still alive and without anesthesia.  Or any other of the other thousands of experiments which had nothing at all to do with warfare, and everything to do with using living human beings like jigsaw puzzles simply to appease his curiosity.  And while the US granted him immunity because they thought the depth of his research would be beneficial, the truth is that no good came of any of it.  Unless one were to count torturing babies and devising methods to infect entire cities with deadly plagues beneficial.

Re: Getting to know each other

Alucard the Risen wrote:

Unfortunately if Bin Laden were removed, someone else would have simply filled the gap and nothing would've changed...

I would take that risk

Re: Getting to know each other

Risk implies hope, there is none, he would have simply been replaced by another in the timeline.

11,819

Re: Getting to know each other

LoudLon wrote:
Theli wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

Shirō Ishii, head of Unit 731, a WWII-era secret Japanese project which performed experiments on live human subjects.  Thousands of people were tortured and mutilated in the name of "science," all at Ishii's behest.  Worst of all, he was granted complete immunity for war crime charges after his capture by the US.  A truly evil son of a bitch.  The movie Men Behind the Sun is based on his project, but as graphic and disturbing as that movie is, it doesn't hold a candle to the real shit that went on there.

Same Q

I heard about this, I've also heard of the film, and seen it described as one of the most disturbing films of all time. He was mostly experimenting on Chinese folk?

Mostly, yes.  But many Soviets as well.

Also him and Mengele are tough choices. Easily deserving of death, but their research has probably saved as many lives as it has ended...

I'd have to argue against this, at least as far as Ishii is concerned.  His "mission" was to test the effects of biological and chemical weaponry, but neither have anything to do with removing a subject's stomach and connecting their esophagus directly to their intestines.  Or with performing vivisections on men, women and children -- including infants -- while still alive and without anesthesia.  Or any other of the other thousands of experiments which had nothing at all to do with warfare, and everything to do with using living human beings like jigsaw puzzles simply to appease his curiosity.  And while the US granted him immunity because they thought the depth of his research would be beneficial, the truth is that no good came of any of it.  Unless one were to count torturing babies and devising methods to infect entire cities with deadly plagues beneficial.

Fair enough, I didn't know the history of Ishii quite as much. Mengele was known for being needlessly brutal as well, but I do know a lot of the research performed during WW2 is still used today. Like I said I don't condone it, I just don't know that if some of those scientists are the best ones to wipe from the history .

I think if I were to remove a figure from history it would be perhaps Archduke Ferdinand. Without his assassination World Wars one and two MAY have been avoided.

Re: Getting to know each other

Who here enjoys Disney films and isn't ashamed to it?

If this applies to you, tell me your favorite classic and modern Disney film.

Re: Getting to know each other

Of course I love Disney films! Favorite classic, Alice In Wonderland (1951), favorite modern Disney picture is Toy Story (yes, I consider the 1990's to be fairly modern).

same Q

Re: Getting to know each other

To answer my own:

My favorite classic is a toss-up between Alice In Wonderland and The Little Mermaid, modern is a tie between Toy Story and Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

Same Q.

11,823

Re: Getting to know each other

Valley of the Wind is not really  a Disney movie. It was made well before Studio Ghibli teamed up with Disney, also Valley of the Wind is 5 years older than The Little Mermaid.

For me I've always loved the classic Disney flicks, The Sword in the Stone, Robin Hood and The Black Cauldron are my favourites. As for more modern Disney flicks, The Emperor's New Groove is always fun, The Hunchback of Notredame was ecellent too. But yeah, any Studio Ghibli film is well worth the time, loved Ponyo (a new Little Mermaid adapatation), Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away were all fantastic.

Re: Getting to know each other

Theli wrote:

Valley of the Wind is not really  a Disney movie. It was made well before Studio Ghibli teamed up with Disney, also Valley of the Wind is 5 years older than The Little Mermaid.

For me I've always loved the classic Disney flicks, The Sword in the Stone, Robin Hood and The Black Cauldron are my favourites. As for more modern Disney flicks, The Emperor's New Groove is always fun, The Hunchback of Notredame was ecellent too. But yeah, any Studio Ghibli film is well worth the time, loved Ponyo (a new Little Mermaid adapatation), Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away were all fantastic.

Yeah, forgot the year Nausicaa was released, my bad, tongue

Still haven't seen Princess Mononoke...

11,825

Re: Getting to know each other

Actually now that I think on it, Nausicaa, while made by almost all the same creators who work at Studio Ghibli, including Miyazaki, actually isn't even a Studio Ghibli, it predates Ghibli's inception. I believe Castle in the Sky is actually the first Studio Ghibli film.