Re: Look Out! Here Come the Indies!

Goon wrote:

Great to hear Paul.. Sounds like you guys have a lot in store for the DVD. Your probably right with the self distribution.. If you sell your film to someone else they will just make a large majority of the money off of your hardwork..

Exactly, and considering our budget, they probably won't make much of an offer. Anyways, it's pretty crappy that the movie business is what it is. It's amazing though, because now that filmmaking can be so cheap, there are a lot of indie movies. That's a good and a bad thing. Yeah, there's more crap, but it also opens up doors for filmmakers who actually are talented to either go out and make a film or go an alternate route and go indie. In an interview, David Lynch said that we don't even really need the suits anymore because of digital cinema and the internet, and this is true. Although, he did mention that we may need them to fund our films... that's true too depending on how lucky we get with a location, actors, crew, etc.

But all in all, thanks to sites like this, we can reach our audience and even get to know our fans personally... and that's a great thing because (for me anyways), I do make movies for myself, but I also make them for my audience... Listening to what your audience wants is a good thing... but of course you have to make yourself happy too.

I'm rambling... I just love this site haha... It's a great place for horror fans!

Meh wrote:

self distribution can be dangerous, it can lead to no sales, but a strong presence , and good reviews will sell dvds.

So pretty much... site on the net all day and talk to your potential fanbase, talk about/promote your film, and talk about horror films in general, etc... sounds good to me!  big_smile

^You could always shoot some of us some free copies to get some reviews going on the net. 

lol It was worth a shot.... lol

Well stated, Goon. Nice to see more filmmakers amongst us today as well.

JamesZahn wrote:

Well stated, Goon. Nice to see more filmmakers amongst us today as well.

pretty much what i was gonna say

Great article.....

As an aspiring filmmaker myself, it can at times feel like a David and Goliath feat just to get it done.....but that's half the fun for me. To do what people don't expect me to be able to do..... With House of Pain, that was getting all my Niagara Falls locations for free..... With my upcoming short Just One Night, getting a penthouse at a swanky hotel will be another great accomplishment for me.

All this on a less than shoe string budget when Hollywood can't do it for less than 10 million dollars.... Like what the hell are they doing with all that?

Anyways..... Thanks for recognizing that there are a lot of talented people out there trying to do it their way without being told what to do, who are actually making some decent shit.  As technology progresses, and we get better at using theses tools, the gap should only get smaller and smaller, then the true measuring stick will once again be the story and acting vs. special effects and stupid gimmicks....

Thank you for the support as always, I've always felt the love here smile

Mike

i apologize for not mentioning you James and Mike when mentioning filmmakers on the site. You both have also been active and interactive with horror fans.

Not only is it a good means to hock your warez so to speak but its also a great way to interact with the audience and develop ideas. I have seen some great posts by you James that really shows your passion for the horror genre.

House of Pain wrote:

Great article.....

As an aspiring filmmaker myself, it can at times feel like a David and Goliath feat just to get it done.....but that's half the fun for me. To do what people don't expect me to be able to do..... With House of Pain, that was getting all my Niagara Falls locations for free..... With my upcoming short Just One Night, getting a penthouse at a swanky hotel will be another great accomplishment for me.

All this on a less than shoe string budget when Hollywood can't do it for less than 10 million dollars.... Like what the hell are they doing with all that?

Anyways..... Thanks for recognizing that there are a lot of talented people out there trying to do it their way without being told what to do, who are actually making some decent shit.  As technology progresses, and we get better at using theses tools, the gap should only get smaller and smaller, then the true measuring stick will once again be the story and acting vs. special effects and stupid gimmicks....

Thank you for the support as always, I've always felt the love here smile

Mike

Your know that feeling like your going against the grain? Pushing up current? embrace that feeling and use it, that's the nip in the film-work that ole Hollywood can Never capture smile

amen dead.... i agree.

You sure are one with words, Daph.  wink

I'm late getting on the board here, but big thanks to Goon for the article he wrote (and for his review of GIMME SKELTER). I'm actually sending the link to the article to some Hollywood producers I'm in contact with to bug 'em.

Let's face it, outside of a few studio flicks (like THE EXORCIST or THE SHINING), most of the horror movies that made us what we are were indies -- NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, PHANTASM, HALLOWEEN... if we all keep pluggin' away and sticking to our guns, people will begin to notice that something interesting is happening on the fringes.

Your know that feeling like your going against the grain? Pushing up current? embrace that feeling and use it, that's the nip in the film-work that ole Hollywood can Never capture smile

FUCKING A MAN... Preach it brother... preach it. Can i get an AMEN? big_smile

I haven't read the replies in this thread before making this post. I read the article yesterday but didn't look in this thread yesterday. There were just too many newly posted in threads for me to look in yesterday!

Brilliant article Goon and well said. cool

Last edited by WaveCrest (2007-09-05 17:57:07)

EDPScott wrote:

I'm late getting on the board here, but big thanks to Goon for the article he wrote (and for his review of GIMME SKELTER). I'm actually sending the link to the article to some Hollywood producers I'm in contact with to bug 'em.

Let's face it, outside of a few studio flicks (like THE EXORCIST or THE SHINING), most of the horror movies that made us what we are were indies -- NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, PHANTASM, HALLOWEEN... if we all keep pluggin' away and sticking to our guns, people will begin to notice that something interesting is happening on the fringes.

Good to see you Scott. You know I am gonna start taking it personal if you dont email me from time to time. Expecially after I said so many bad ass things about Stink of Flesh. I think you even have me on the dvd smile

Gimme Skelter looks great, wish you tons of luck on it.

I'm the worst emailer ever, man... but I just sent you one! I wanna hook you up with a screener of SKELTER.

Speaking of which, am I allowed to mention that GIMME SKELTER will be screening in Albuquerque, NM at the Guild Cinema on Friday, September 14th at 10:30 PM -- and then in Santa Fe, NM at the Film Center on Saturday, September 15th at 7:45 PM?

Woo!

yes yes you can smile

Meh - no worries about not mentioning me... I like sitting in the shadows for now! lol

thedeadshallrule - one of the best things about being indie is Breaking the Rules! no one telling me what to do or not to do etc.....

Hey, speaking of fan interaction; for anyone interested in reading my upcoming short script and view some audition footage, let me know. I'm in pre-production and would love some fan insight during the planning stage.

It's called "Just One Night"

What would you give for just one night with a beautiful woman?
Be careful how you answer that cause it might come true!

2 Married friends are about to discover what "Just One Night" will mean for their friendship, marriage and health.
In a story of deceit, lies and sexual fantasies, who will come out on top.

Infidelity KILLS!

Mike

Last edited by House of Pain (2007-09-05 21:13:49)

I'm having more auditions this saturday, so there will be more to look at then. Still need to find the lead girl smile

e-mail me if you want to be involved.

roadragefilms at hotmail.com

You mentioned "Just One Night" a little while ago, didn't you?  Sounds great.  I was wondering how everything was going.

One day I'm gonna have the HM.ca crew out to set ... hopefully it'll be summer of '08 ... who knows. cool The next one, "Y.A.B."

That would be awesome Seth.. would love to see the madman himself hard at work on a film.. Hopefully you have another hottie like Tiffany Shepis in your next film as well! big_smile

Ha. Yeah. Yes, the "B" in "Y.A.B." is the female lead and she must be hot. lol

Just One Night is going well. I have the 2nd audition session this saturday, and I am updating the script to include the new penthouse suite we secured.

It all sounds interesting, all these new horror films in the planning or pre-production stages. cool