Topic: Thedeadshallrules RANT

Its the year 2007...just had to remind myself...you expect more from society in the year 2007.
There is a skatepark made for the kids to skate here. Wonderful idea, kids go there and can ollie and learn and dream to be Tony Hawk, get social with each other, and show-off. Perfect.
A mom took her 8 year old son and his 7 year old freind so they could skate and interact and have fun. Good, as it should be.
As she is sitting there a 24 year old man walks up (not a skater) without provocation
picks up one child and slams him down into the pavement, proceeds to kick him and the other child. They showed the pictures on the news, one child had stitches under his eye, friggin boot prints in his skin, and one childs nose was broken.
People called police and some guys chased him and they have him at the jail now awaiting charges. The man stated it was "In their destiny."
There are WAY too many people walking around this city that need more than meds, they need a nice little safe place called a Mental Institution that they NEED to be in. We don't have one...WHY??? They get to go to jail, whooppe. This ticks the snot out of me.

Re: Thedeadshallrules RANT

i think the bigger issue is the fact that mental health conditions are completely ignored. What happened is totally wrong but if you think back on the last half dozen SERIOUS crimes I will guarantee 50% if not more are related to mis or un-diagnosed mental conditions.

This news makes me want to barf.  As a mom, it's especially scary, but I kid you not, as busted as I am physically, I would thoroughly kick the ass of anyone who touched my son.  Did she fight back?  How did it end, TDSR?

A big problem is that the mentally ill often go off their meds because they are "feeling better."  I once knew a guy who was in treatment and stopped his meds, and drove across the country to set himself on fire in LA so that Courtney Love would notice him.  This is outrageous, even if only harming himself, but he was diagnosed and being treated.  So yes, there should be more stringent guidelines on determining who is dangerous and should or should not be on the streets.

Speaking of "on the streets" - there are a lot of mentally ill homeless people because they were booted out of the healthcare system.  It's sad.

Here's the link to the story, with video.   I hadn't even heard about it until the TDSR's rant.

Kinda makes you not want to let you kids out by themselves.

That guy was just pissed off.  Senseless brutality.  I feel for the mother and her children, and I hope this guy gets what's coming to him.  This sounds like a serious issue, which shouldn't be taken lightly.  This also ticks me off.

Mirthquake wrote:

Here's the link to the story, with video.   I hadn't even heard about it until the TDSR's rant.

Kinda makes you not want to let you kids out by themselves.

isnt that the truth.

And when they do get their meds the state holds on to them until they are considered to no longer be a threat and release them.  If you are mentally unstable and you have to rely on a nurse to make sure you take your meds at the appropriate times and have your meds state funded so you can afford them, what are you supposed to do when you are realeased and have no supervision over your meds and no money to buy them?  From someone who personally suffers from mental illness I can tell you that the government doesn't take it serious enough.  Mental illness is just as bad as physical illness.  I have insurance to pay for my meds and enough sense to take them on my own.  What about the people that don't?

good post epitome. I should add i am not condoning what this guy did. Its sickly but i wont be shocked to find out he has a serious mental health condition that was going untreated.

I am not showing any compassion for him, I am bringing the issue up because the only way we can stop hearing about sick shit like this is by acting on the root problem.

Amen Meh!  big_smile

I work at a homeless shelter, and a good number of our homeless clients are mentally handicapped.  You'd be amazed how many of those mentally handicapped clients were sent to us in a taxi and just dumped because the facility which was treating them decided they were ready to be released simply because their insurance ran out.  Invariably, many such clients will wander off the property and next thing we know the local police are calling us saying they just picked up some "whackjob" wandering the streets and asking if we have room for them.  Funny thing is we're not a psychiatric facility...we have no professional psychiatrists or therapists...we're totally unequipped to facilitate people afflicted with serious mental handicaps...but nowhere else will take them.  So we do our best to monitor their medications and make sure they don't hurt themselves.  But when they get to the point where their handicap threatens other clients or staff in the shelter, we have to send them to the Behavioral Health unit of the local hospital.  And all they do is keep them overnight and send 'em out the door the next morning, where they're just picked up by police and brought right back to us.  It's a sad cycle.  If Reagan hadn't cut funding to hospitals and institutions back in the 80s, which resulted in thousands of mentally ill people being tossed out onto the streets (therefore effectively creating what today is the national homeless epidemic) then we wouldn't have these kinds of problems.  And why did he cut the funding?  Because he wanted to put the money into that silly-ass Star Wars program.  I hope it was worth it.

As for the OP's story, such random acts of violence anger me and make me wish the perpetrators meet a similar fate.  Mentally handicapped or not, I cannot stomach violence perpetrated upon a child, particularly since I have one I never get to see.  Not being able to see her makes me over-protective when it comes to other children, but seriously, in my opinion, when it comes to children there's no such thing as being too protective.  Had it been my child this happened to, the guy would've made it only as far as grabbing her before I turned him into a greasy smear on the pavement.  Crazy or not, you don't fucking hurt kids.

maybe a good skateboard to the back of the head would fix the "loose screw" in his head

Hell of a post Lon, gives you a lot to think about.

LoudLon wrote:

I work at a homeless shelter, and a good number of our homeless clients are mentally handicapped.  You'd be amazed how many of those mentally handicapped clients were sent to us in a taxi and just dumped because the facility which was treating them decided they were ready to be released simply because their insurance ran out.  Invariably, many such clients will wander off the property and next thing we know the local police are calling us saying they just picked up some "whackjob" wandering the streets and asking if we have room for them.  Funny thing is we're not a psychiatric facility...we have no professional psychiatrists or therapists...we're totally unequipped to facilitate people afflicted with serious mental handicaps...but nowhere else will take them.  So we do our best to monitor their medications and make sure they don't hurt themselves.  But when they get to the point where their handicap threatens other clients or staff in the shelter, we have to send them to the Behavioral Health unit of the local hospital.  And all they do is keep them overnight and send 'em out the door the next morning, where they're just picked up by police and brought right back to us.  It's a sad cycle.  If Reagan hadn't cut funding to hospitals and institutions back in the 80s, which resulted in thousands of mentally ill people being tossed out onto the streets (therefore effectively creating what today is the national homeless epidemic) then we wouldn't have these kinds of problems.  And why did he cut the funding?  Because he wanted to put the money into that silly-ass Star Wars program.  I hope it was worth it.

As for the OP's story, such random acts of violence anger me and make me wish the perpetrators meet a similar fate.  Mentally handicapped or not, I cannot stomach violence perpetrated upon a child, particularly since I have one I never get to see.  Not being able to see her makes me over-protective when it comes to other children, but seriously, in my opinion, when it comes to children there's no such thing as being too protective.  Had it been my child this happened to, the guy would've made it only as far as grabbing her before I turned him into a greasy smear on the pavement.  Crazy or not, you don't fucking hurt kids.

VERY thoughtfull post. !!!! Good to have such an intelligent member on the site.

I can't really add anything that hasn't been said, good points all, but this is so damned disturbing.  Of all the things you don't expect to happen, this is definitely one.  Hope the little ones are okay, poor little guys.

Last edited by Tina12312 (2007-09-05 13:41:53)

thats fucked up get these guys off the street like seriously a fuckign 7 year old thats sad on their part

this is soo bad and such a shock...its a very scary thing to witness and realize that some crazy asshole can come up to your child a beat the shit out of them...this guy better get what he deserves....put his ass in jail and the inmates beat this shit out of him or better yet let them all were a boot and kick him just like he kicked that little boy..