Topic: Shoot 'Em Up: Silly fun!

I saw it on Monday night. It was either this or 310 to Yuma, but I decided on this because I was in the mood for fast action. Well, first off, the movie is a parody or satire of action flicks in the vein of "Mr. and Mrs. Smith". If you liked Vin Diesel's "XXX" or "The Transporter" movies, than you'll have yourself a good silly time. The cartoony violence is out of John Woo territory: it's like watching instead of playing a video game! And Paul Giamatti has a lot fun with the bad guy role. There's even a scene out of a horror movie in which he runs after Clive Owen with an axe.

I'm sure this will become a cult classic on DVD, but if you're in the mood to watch something in the theater on a boring September day, than buy a ticket. You might just like it. Grade: B

Re: Shoot 'Em Up: Silly fun!

sounds like a movie i would enjoy thanks for sharing. I will check it out.

I'll definitely be seeing this movie next week. And thanks for your insight about the movie alex.

sounds like a fun movie, i'll check it out big_smile

Just watched this and man, what a kick!  This flick takes every action movie cliche you can think of and amplifies it through a Warner Bros cartoon filter -- in fact, Clive Owen's character is like a human version of Buggs Bunny, right down to chewing endlessly on carrots and spouting, "What's up, Doc?" 

And Clive Owen...this guy's the perfect choice for the role.  I'm a huge fan (as if you couldn't tell by my avatar) and he knocks this one out of the park.

An airborne gunfight, multiple deaths by carrot, one liners, humorously offensive plot, spit-in-your-face moxie...an hour and a half of over-the-top goodness.  You'll love it.

Last edited by LoudLon (2007-09-21 11:58:08)

I just saw Shoot Em Up this past week and i gotta say, i loved this from start to finish. What other movie are you going to see where the hero eats a carrot pretty much the entire movie and use a carrot different ways to kill a different villain. Uses a carrot to stab a guy different ways and shoots a gun with a carrot. Pure genious.