Re: Last Mainstream movie you watched.

God Bless America - A drop of truth, in a sea of lie's and corruption.   8/10

Son In Law

DARK NIGHT RISES FINALLY!!!
Took me a long while but it was really worth the wait.
Pros:
Cat Woman, not as good as the best for me ever, miss Halley Berry but still very nice. I loved her classiness.
Bane, man this guy is such a badass and his voice is the coolest. The fights between him and Batman were EPIC!!!
And when he said: "Shadows betray you because I own them." Woah, great line.
The FREAKING RAD AS H3LL BatPlane, when I first saw it, I screamed and jumped on my ceiling. lol
Cons:
That damn cop, not Gordon or Blake but the one that finally get killed at the end. Annoying as mad.
Alfred leaving. I like Alfred a lot so I was glad to see him back at the end.
A very enjoyable 2 hours and a half. 666/10

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-02-11 06:09:52)

Die Hard

Resident Evil: Retribution

^^^ Oof.  You okay? lol

^^^
Where does all that hate for these masterpieces come from I really don't understand. The more they go the better it becomes. IMO that is of course.

I liked the third one. lol

The last one...as I was watching it, it occurred to me that if you took out all the slow motion, it would cut the running time down by nearly half.  That's a lot of padding for a ninety minute long movie.  I don't begrudge anyone their opinions -- we've all got 'em, they're all different in some way or another and I ain't gonna hate on someone for theirs any more than I'd hate myself for my own -- but damn, if I'm going to watch a ninety minute movie, I want ninety minutes worth of entertainment.  Not forty five minutes of fights and CGI I've already seen in four previous movies stretched to twice the length it takes to tell the story.  It's like telling someone the 2-line "Why did the chicken cross the road" joke, but reciting it in slow motion.

Just my opinion.  But then I strongly dislike Jaws, too, so take my opinion for what it's worth. lol

Just finished John Carter of Mars (I don't care if Disney was pissy because of the failure that was Mars Needs Moms, that's the title) and that was a really great film.  I got some Cowboys and Aliens vibe from it. Shame it wasn't a big hit, looking forward to a sequel. Looks like I have some hunting to do on Barnes & Noble for the books. 10/10

^^^
Well at least you like what for me is the best one ever. With the first that is. But I see your point. Clearly. I for one kinda liked the slow-mo. But hey, that's just me. What I didn't like was that all these powers my dear Alice had were not as powerful as in the previous ones. But hey, that's very minor. Been watching them over and over again since the first came out so I'm what you can call a die-hard fan of Resident Evil. lol

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the series or anything.  These are basically big-budget b-movies, and I do find them somewhat entertaining; I've got no problem throwing on an RE flick if there isn't anything else to watch lol   But yeah, I really dislike the overuse of slow-mo, the action/violent scenes are ridiculously over-stylized (image how much more brutal these scenes would be if allowed to play in real time).  And the storylines are all predictable as hell -- Alice shows up, kicks some ass, meets some new survivors, some of them are killed, they beat the bad guys, Alice has a showdown with a new "boss" monster, kills it, everything looks like it's going to be hunky dory, then a new threat shows up, leaving us with a cliffhanger until the next sequel.  They all follow that same plot. 

But I love Milla Jovovich and will watch anything she appears in (though I do wish the chick could learn how to pick better scripts lol ) and like I said, I do think the RE flicks are somewhat entertaining.  I'd definitely take them over any Saw sequels or any entry in the Paranormal Activity series.

Watched Colombiana after JCoM.
I originally had no interest in this movie, but bloody hell it was actually good. Kept thinking about the Punisher due to the vengeance plot. 8/10

Currently watching Ultraviolet and I'm kind of regretting it. It's treading into Sucker Punch territory and I won't have that. I don't have a problem with mindless films but damn I'm about to watch something else.

Zero Dark Thirty.  Quite good, but not really great.  Excellent performances, though.  I'm not sure why so many are calling this a propaganda film; watching it didn't particularly make me proud to be an American or fill me with Pride of Country.  It takes two bodies for there to be a war, and both sides did horrible things.  That's the nature of war.

Rather, the movie simply is what it is; an accurate and realistic presentation of the decade + long search for Bin Laden, from the perspective of one character.  You root for her not because of what she wants (Bin Laden, dead) but why she wants it (to save the lives of innocents), you appreciate her drive and determination and you empathize with her fighting against a system which seems unable to see the path to the goal as clearly as she does.  The climactic raid on Bin Laden's hide-out in Pakistan is almsot anti-climactic; the film isn't about the destination, but the journey there.

7/10

LoudLon wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the series or anything.  These are basically big-budget b-movies, and I do find them somewhat entertaining; I've got no problem throwing on an RE flick if there isn't anything else to watch lol   But yeah, I really dislike the overuse of slow-mo, the action/violent scenes are ridiculously over-stylized (image how much more brutal these scenes would be if allowed to play in real time).  And the storylines are all predictable as hell -- Alice shows up, kicks some ass, meets some new survivors, some of them are killed, they beat the bad guys, Alice has a showdown with a new "boss" monster, kills it, everything looks like it's going to be hunky dory, then a new threat shows up, leaving us with a cliffhanger until the next sequel.  They all follow that same plot. 

But I love Milla Jovovich and will watch anything she appears in (though I do wish the chick could learn how to pick better scripts lol ) and like I said, I do think the RE flicks are somewhat entertaining.  I'd definitely take them over any Saw sequels or any entry in the Paranormal Activity series.

I understand why you think this about Res. Evil, not saying that I agree but hey, that's a very intersting point of view. smile

Immortals

Had to cleanse what I saw of Ultraviolet (I'm choosing not to finish it) with this awesome film. Very beautiful imagery and fantastic action scenes.

Watching Clash of the Titans (2009) now. Following up with Wrath and some other action films.

^^^Clash of the Titans (2010). My bad.

^^^
Aren't Immortals and Clash Of The Titans related in some way???
Looks like from what I've seen/read. But not sure as I haven't watched my Immortals DVD yet. That's why I ask. smile

Well the material for both films involve Greek mythology, though Clash is based on the myth of Perseus and Immortals on the myth of Theseus, the Minotaur and Titanomachy (War of the Titans). I would give more but I'm still watching Clash.

Last edited by HypnoticDead89 (2013-02-13 01:58:30)

^^^
Ah ok, it's Theseus this time, sweet. Thanks for that man.
Think I'll watch Immortals tonight.

I REALLY enjoy movies about Greek Mythology as I'm a freaking HUUUGE fan of this AND Viking's so yeah, like everything they do about these fabulous mytjologies. smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-02-13 02:26:43)

Just finished Clash of the Titans redux. Solid 7/10.

Immortals is a blast, watch it.

Yeah, I have an interest in Greek mythology and recently Viking due to anticipation in seeing Pathfinder. Vikings invade land inhabited by American Indians and butcher them. They leave behind one of their children and he grows up to be a defender of the Native Americans against the Norseman. Should be coming in the mail soon. Very excited.

I grew up reading a lot of mythology; Greek, Roman, Norse, Egyptian, Chinese.  Can't say I remember a great deal now, some thirty years later, but if you hum a few bars I can wing it.

^^Knowledge is power.

Was watching Wrath of the Titans, but I'm kind of "actioned" out now. Will finish later.

Last edited by HypnoticDead89 (2013-02-13 05:54:06)

Pathfinder is freaking AMAZING!!!

IMMORTALS
Woah, what a blast this was. Entertaining from beginning to end.
Loved the acting and man, the cinematography was just a marvel.
One of the best Greek Mythology related one I've seen. The images were so damn beautiful it's insane.
666/10

And for the Greek Mythology lovers, did you know that Zeus wasn't the first one??? Nope, it was Chaos. Everything is coming from chaos. Reminds me of the stars crushing to create new ones. Makes perfect sense. smile

Wrath of the Titans

Liked
Fun action pieces
Creatures (upset at the Minotaur though, bastards)
Interaction between Zeus and Hades

Disliked
Brisk running time, went by too fast
Virtually no story (the action makes up for it, but still)
All you needed to do was watch the previous film and that's all the character development you're getting

6/10 Felt like there should have been more to the film. Was fun for what it was.